cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice - In a Pickle

Hyfives5
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 (company-owned) F150 SuperCrew with the 5.0 V8, 3.31 gears and 145" WB. It has the tow package and integrated brake control system. Sine it's company-owned, there's no upgrading and no changing the gears, etc. The GCWR is stated at 13,500lbs with a curb weight of 5,254lbs. The tow capacity is stated at 8,000lbs.

I found a screaming deal on a 28ft. TT with with 5,770lbs shipping weight and a GVWR of 7,690lbs. The numbers on paper look decent, with about 1,000lbs of occupants/dogs/stuff & hitch in the truck and throwing another 1,000lbs in the TT for good measure and the numbers seem to indicate around a 800-1,000 left over for good measure.

Does all that sound right? Does anyone else two with the 5.0 in a similar configuration that can set my mind at ease a bit? I'm not new to towing, but my previous TT was around 7,500lbs - but towed with a V10 Excursion.

Need to make a decision quick on the TT. It really is a screaming deal for a 2014 model... Thanks in advance...
San Diego, CA
27 REPLIES 27

msjdbman
Explorer
Explorer
My comapany truck is a 2013 SuperCab 4x4 F-150 5.0 with 3.73 gears. It handles 7000-8000 with no problems. But I don`t think I`d want much more, and I really don`t think I`d like it much with 3.31`s. I have full personal use of my company truck, but since I have my fiver, I obviously choose to use my Duramax for my personal needs.
2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

Hyfives5
Explorer
Explorer
The payload (on the sticker) is 1,619lbs. There's no issue with using the company vehicle for towing - and did check that with my boss, but thanks for everyones concern regarding job security...

I realize the numbers are close. I've always been a get more TV than you need for your TT type of person, but sometimes the "deal" clouds your judgement. I've decided to wait and pass on the deal...

I need to update my signature - since we sold our diesel pusher last year. Thanks for all the input.
San Diego, CA

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
therink wrote:
Aside from possibly exceeding payload on the F150, the 3:31 axle will be your limiting factor and will likely give the 5.0 and transmission a work out. Personally, I would stick with TT with gvwr of 6500 or less with that truck.

First thing I saw was the 3:31 rear end. I wouldn't think that is a good ratio for towing anything substantial. You probably get pretty good fuel mileage for a full size pickup truck, though.

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from possibly exceeding payload on the F150, the 3:31 axle will be your limiting factor and will likely give the 5.0 and transmission a work out. Personally, I would stick with TT with gvwr of 6500 or less with that truck.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will it tow it? Yes absolutely. Will you be happy pulling it? That is a question only you can answer. Consider going up a mountain grade at 20 MPH, or white knuckle ride going down the other side. Or god forbid a panic stop and you being pushed through an intersection.
Personally I think it just too much for a 1/2 ton. But thats only my opinion.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Double post again something goofy is going on!
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Whats is the payload rating of ther truck. You gave lots of info but no payload rating?
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I have had company trucks and was told to use them as my own, so i doubt thats the issue for him. He just wants to know if it will do the job.

BigBaron
Explorer
Explorer
I'm presuming it's your company. LOL
Ask the boss, first. (Your wife?) ROFL...
Baron, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith and OSD, Fang
'03 Hyundai Starex(H1) 2012 Coachmen Clipper Sport 126
Incheon, S. Korea
From six months of no camping to having a winter site 30 minutes from a ski resort! I'm a happy camper!

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
Pull the travel trailer with your motorhome and be the talk of the campground.
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 🙂 ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

maxwell11
Explorer
Explorer
I am with EX on this one.
my son's company did not want employee's to even drop off the kids at school while driving the company truck.

much less pulling a travel trailer or other personal use with it.

check it out,

Led_67
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Not sure what you're asking...If you're asking if you can tow the trailer with the company vehicle, I would say you'd better ask your boss as the companies insurance probably won't cover it...besides, it's not worth losing your job over...don't know too many companies that would allow what I assume you're asking....Dennis

X2

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure what you're asking...If you're asking if you can tow the trailer with the company vehicle, I would say you'd better ask your boss as the companies insurance probably won't cover it...besides, it's not worth losing your job over...don't know too many companies that would allow what I assume you're asking....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG