cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advise on which new truck - 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?

jodiwer
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I have ordered a new 2021 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS which should arrive the end of October. We are shopping for a truck but can't decide if we should buy a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. The GVW for the Roo is 6848 lbs with a hitch weight of 688 lbs. We have checked out RAM, Chevy and Ford trucks. I find the 3/4 ton trucks difficult to get into (I am 69 yo). My husband still has nightmares of towing our previous rig, a 17,000 lb Alfa with a 3/4 ton truck. He just wants to be sure that he has all the truck necessary to easily and safely pull the new rig. We expect to travel 12 months next year. We are open to a used vehicle and like the lower price on the 1/2 ton but can afford the 3/4 ton if we need it. Any thoughts?
2019 F150 XLT Ecoboost, 3.5L V6 4x4, Max Towing package
2021 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS hybrid trailer
DH & I are boondockers thanks to our solar panels. Summer with our bicycles & kayak; winter with our skis & snowboards.
97 REPLIES 97

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
ksss wrote:
Has to have commercial plates because its a 2500? That is a bogus law. They must charge you more for commercial plates to justify that kind of stupidity.

Are you subject to all commercial driving requirements or is it just restricted to driving on commercial vehicle allowed roads?

Quit stirring the pot. Lol
Or just a humble brag that you don’t live in a big city?

More the latter I guess, I honestly had no idea some cities had roads that you could not drive a 2500 pickup on. I then added an other reason to be happy where I live.

The thrust of the law is not just to piss you off. Parkways were designed to be leisurely scenic roads,often between two residential areas. The law was designed to keep large trucks,semis, big box trucks cement haulers, etc out of residential or scenic areas'
They had draw the line somewhere. Remember that it is only in the last thirty years that 3/4 ton and larger have become popular. Before that most pick ups on the road were 1/2 with the heavier trucks almost exclusively used by business.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
ksss wrote:
Has to have commercial plates because its a 2500? That is a bogus law. They must charge you more for commercial plates to justify that kind of stupidity.

Are you subject to all commercial driving requirements or is it just restricted to driving on commercial vehicle allowed roads?

More the latter I guess, I honestly had no idea some cities had roads that you could not drive a 2500 pickup on. I then added an other reason to be happy where I live.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You can buy tonnage in IL too. Starts at 8klb “B” plate.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski
Mike134 wrote:
Pickup trucks in Illinois are considered "trucks". I guess because we call them "pickup trucks" so they get B plates which is a truck/van designation of under 8000lb GVWR. Cannot drive on certain streets in Chicago with a truck. Fortunately same price as automobile plates. And to the poster above Yes you will get a ticket driving your nice looking empty pickup truck on those restricted streets. It's a TRUCK.

That does not sound to good either, if I can only get an 8000 gvw plate on a 35 series pickup with over 13-14,000 lbs of gvw available. I'm screwed. So can I assume like here in Wa st, I can get ever increasing tonnage paid for as my gvw is able to go up? Legally here in Wa St, I could go down the road at 32000 or so gvw in a dually pickup. I'm not going to recommend you do so, But from a weight standpoint, it is legal! Just like most SW pickups, I can legally go down the road in the 20-24,000 lb gvw relm. Again, not recommending it.....

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ksss wrote:

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there is any doubt always step up instead of down.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Pickup trucks in Illinois are considered "trucks". I guess because we call them "pickup trucks" so they get B plates which is a truck/van designation of under 8000lb GVWR. Cannot drive on certain streets in Chicago with a truck. Fortunately same price as automobile plates. And to the poster above Yes you will get a ticket driving your nice looking empty pickup truck on those restricted streets. It's a TRUCK.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Teamjd
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize for derailing the original thread.
Let me just end by saying, I bought the 2500, it had to be registered Commercial, and they said you can not drive on Parkways.

I know that I can probably get away with it, but:

"The law isn't going to bother you if you're driving an empty pickup truck with Commercial plates on a NY Parkway."
I'll be remembering that the first time I get a $180 ticket 🙂

The restriction is for vehicles registered Commercial.
The intent was trucks used for commercial purposes.

"your RV tow rig won't get a second glance"
I hope not :), because I live next to the Parkway and the commercial route adds 18 miles to my trip to/from my happy place.

Again, sorry to derail things, and thanks for the encouragement.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Teamjd wrote:
An another note...
Depending on what state you live in, the 2500 might have to be registered as commercial.
In New York over 6001 lbs (which is almost every 2500) , it does, and it's causing me to reconsider buying the 2500 I'm looking at. I have to travel Parkways. In NY you can not go on Parkways with commercial vehicles.

The law isn't going to bother you if you're driving an empty pickup truck with Commercial plates on a NY Parkway. The restriction is for vehicles used for commercial purposes. Driving down the parkway with a dump truck or even a pickup loaded with tool boxes and ladder racks might get some attention, but your RV tow rig won't get a second glance.

Depending on what he is towing. When reading the rules just now they stated it was originally because of low bridges that trucks could not go under. So , he might not be able to tow on them anyway. If he moves to NJ , he will have 0 problems, lol. Ill agree, i cant see them pulling over a pick up just because it has a commercial plate and no other signs of a work truck.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Teamjd wrote:
An another note...
Depending on what state you live in, the 2500 might have to be registered as commercial.
In New York over 6001 lbs (which is almost every 2500) , it does, and it's causing me to reconsider buying the 2500 I'm looking at. I have to travel Parkways. In NY you can not go on Parkways with commercial vehicles.

The law isn't going to bother you if you're driving an empty pickup truck with Commercial plates on a NY Parkway. The restriction is for vehicles used for commercial purposes. Driving down the parkway with a dump truck or even a pickup loaded with tool boxes and ladder racks might get some attention, but your RV tow rig won't get a second glance.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Why do a feel like posting 20 face-palm emojis here?? Lol
Nice truck OP! Roll on!

Teamjd
Explorer
Explorer
nineback wrote:
This is confusing. Do you mean a 3500 might have to be registered as commercial? What 6001 lbs are you referring to? Both 2500 and 3500 have a GVWR well above 6000 lb. Are you talking about rear axle rating? Even some 2500 have axles ratings over 6000 lbs.

Teamjd wrote:
An another note...

Just to clarify, they are referring to unladen weight not GVWR.

Teamjd
Explorer
Explorer
:S I can't believe I missed that.
Well at least it was good advice 🙂

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Teamjd wrote:
An another note...

The OP already bought a new F150, over a week ago.

no reason to stop our armchair advise......
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.