cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need to rent a tow vehicle.

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
Ideas for renting a truck for some long distance (5 to 8 hour drives from home) towing of my trailer?

Hertz Equipment Rentals has like a 100 mile range and said they would let me go to my local camp since there's a Hertz less than 100 from that location, but not so much for towing to Yosemite or Sequoia.

My current ride has too many worry points to use it for those trips.

Enterprise doesn't have trucks with towing packages and they say no to towing.

Not ready to buy a new truck, but don't want to avoid long tows because of breakdown worry.
22 REPLIES 22

likestrucks
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure if this is available in your area, but in Calgary you can rent an F-250 regular cab long box with the 6.2L that you are allowed to tow with from U-Haul.
1998 Chevrolet K1500
2005 Keystone Hornet Lite RSL

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
LaunchnRetrieve wrote:

Enterprise doesn't have trucks with towing packages and they say no to towing.

Enterprise "Rent-A-Truck" division does rent tow vehicles.

http://bandago.com van rentals allows towing, if the locations works for you.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a United Rental Co in your area. They have NO limitations and usually several different vehicles to choose from.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used enterprise COMMERCIAL TRUCK rental center for this once. Allowed me to travel anywhere in the US while towing.

Bedlam
I know a lot guys that rent a box van or truck to tow a travel trailer and put their toys in the box. Whether this is part of the contract is an unknown by me but very common usage with people that have off road toys and no toy hauler.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Most do NOT rent trucks for towing .. unless its there trailers.

I tried most national brands.

the exception is you own a business AND have 1 million dollar insurance policy .

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rider Rent a Truck.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I was going to suggest Hertz or any other construction rental outfit. I've done it before without the 100mi limitation, but it was years ago and working for a large contractor my whole life, I get good buddy deals from the rental houses for personal use.
Construction equip rentals are the only source I know of to rent and legally tow.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold