cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Cummins Question

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
I see there is alot of diesel experts here so I have a couple questions. Just traded in my 2017 6.4 hemi for a 2017 cummins. I had a 2003 cummins before the hemi so this new cummins and guages are a little different. Is there anything special I should know about the turbo boost or exhaust brake guages? Like dont run them high for long periods of time when towing? My 03 never had that stuff so I just drove it and didnt worry.

Thanks
2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB
35 REPLIES 35

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
At least weโ€™re back to def and off of pharmaceuticals....

You might argue that because some people are off their pharmaceuticals is why many RV.net threads get derailed...:B Ironically then, being ON pharmaceuticals is why this thread came back on topic... until this post...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
At least weโ€™re back to def and off of pharmaceuticals....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
44k mi on current Ram with only Walmart Supertech def and 22k mi on DP mh with mostly Walmart def. Zero issues.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Paid $11.97 per 2.5g of Peak at the WallaCaust. Just a FYI I did fit one 2.5 in mine with gauge showing 5/8.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Because DEF is built the API standards. You are saying the your Advil Ibuprofen is better than Costco's Ibuprofen. They are both the same but with different labels.

Exactly! My wife is an R&D Chemist for a major pharmaceutical company that makes both the name brand and generic version of many drugs. The main difference between a generic drug and a name brand is quality control standards bell curve is slightly less stringent with the generic version, but both still meet the FDA standards.

Sorry but you are incorrect. The biggest difference is the binders and fillers which unfold in your stomach. Since everyone is different, the generic may not work. Biopharmaceutics
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Because DEF is built the API standards. You are saying the your Advil Ibuprofen is better than Costco's Ibuprofen. They are both the same but with different labels.

Exactly! My wife is an R&D Chemist for a major pharmaceutical company that makes both the name brand and generic version of many drugs. The main difference between a generic drug and a name brand is quality control standards bell curve is slightly less stringent with the generic version, but both still meet the FDA standards.

You're right, name brand and generic SHOULD be identical in formulation. But, not only is the bell curve less stringent but the QC sampling frequency is lower for generic.

On the DEF, my personal experience was only one 2.5 gallon 'box' of cheap brand from Rural King supply. It was $8 per box compared to the $12/box I typically paid for Peak Blue. It was a 1500 mile round trip towing a small trailer. I repeatedly got a CEL and the code was for inefficient catalyst. At no point running peak Blue did I ever get a single engine code for anything DEF related prior to this. Not only did my CEL come on but also I saw the DEF tank drop much faster than usual.

When I got home I removed the fill hose from the tank, siphoned out the DEF, then refilled with Peak Blue. From that point on I have never had another CEL on the truck. I have also filled up at the DEF pumps at Pilot/Flying J without any issues.

Was the cheap DEF inferior, maybe stored improperly, or too old? I don't know. The only thing I can say with certainty is that I've never had an issue with name brand DEF, either in a box or at the pump, and the one time I tried generic I had problems.

This could have entirely been a one time thing and I might possibly use generic for the next 5 years and never have another problem. But, I don't see the logic in saving $4 if I know the track record for the name brand is flawless.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve always filled up at the pump. Cost from $2.55-$2.75 a gallon. Itโ€™s usually Blue DEF.

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
It's not case of seeking out the cheapest DEF. You walk into the store and have a choice of two to four different brands at different price points yet the same formulation. Which one are you going to choose? For me, it is the least expensive one with the seals intact.

Bingo... Give the man a beer.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Curious, but first admit am not a diesel guy, if these penny's per mile DEF fluid also drives folks to look for the cheapest diesel fuel out there?

Compared to how much the diesel option cost new and a rebuild costs ?

Nephew and I had this discussion when he ordered a CTD 2500HD 4x4. No DEF for him, nor neighbor's CTD 2500, nor neighbor's Duramax 2500HD. Other neighbor has a Ford 350 Super Duty and stopped complaining about DEF cost after we all asked the above questions...

How many penny's per mile are you folks saving by looking for 'cheap' DEF ?

There is a big difference between having bad diesel and bad DEF. Running bad diesel would cause catastrophic engine damage to your entire fuel system and thousands of dollars in damage. Most diesel fuel contamination issues come from water in the fuel which is what DEF is mostly made of.

Running bad DEF just means you will use more of it to lower NOx since it is injected on an as needed basis and it will keep injecting it until it lowers NOx to desired levels. DEF does not even get close to the engine and gets injected into the last catalyst after the DPF. The worst case scenario is that it could ruin the pump or injector if which both cost about $200. This is highly unlikely because the DEF does not get injected at that high of pressure as diesels to where contaminants would cause the same kind of damage.

This, of course, is only assuming that a cheaper brand is contaminated or is diluted more than the API standard of 32.5% urea to 67.5% water..... or it is past its shelf life due to how it was stored which is the most likely cause of "bad DEF" regardless of brand.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Jim2007 wrote:
Hi/ I buy at walmart because it is the cheapest I can find. I did find a service station in Salt Lake that was sell 2.5 gals for 24 dollars. I did not buy because I did not need it. When pulling the 5th wheel I always take a couple of 2.5 gal jug with me .. When pulling the 5th wheel I use about 2.5 to 3 gals in 750 to 800 miles. Jim2007.

Our Home Depot has Peak cheaper now then our Walmart , about a $1.00 cheaper , and just as fresh.

Bedlam
It's not case of seeking out the cheapest DEF. You walk into the store and have a choice of two to four different brands at different price points yet the same formulation. Which one are you going to choose? For me, it is the least expensive one with the seals intact.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Curious, but first admit am not a diesel guy, if these penny's per mile DEF fluid also drives folks to look for the cheapest diesel fuel out there?

Compared to how much the diesel option cost new and a rebuild costs ?

Nephew and I had this discussion when he ordered a CTD 2500HD 4x4. No DEF for him, nor neighbor's CTD 2500, nor neighbor's Duramax 2500HD. Other neighbor has a Ford 350 Super Duty and stopped complaining about DEF cost after we all asked the above questions...

How many penny's per mile are you folks saving by looking for 'cheap' DEF ?
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the supertech and the bottles were sticky and had white residue around the cap. That was enough reasons for me to pass on it at my Wally world.

I have been using my Pilot/FlyingJ card to fill up the DEF when needed.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi/ I buy at walmart because it is the cheapest I can find. I did find a service station in Salt Lake that was sell 2.5 gals for 24 dollars. I did not buy because I did not need it. When pulling the 5th wheel I always take a couple of 2.5 gal jug with me .. When pulling the 5th wheel I use about 2.5 to 3 gals in 750 to 800 miles. Jim2007.
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel