cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Nissan Titan half ton

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the July August issue of Truck Trend Magazine is an extended article on the new Nissan half ton Titan. Equipped with a Cummins 5.0L V8 diesel and the Aisin 6 speed transmission this truck will be very interesting.

It's payload and towing numbers are impressive: Payload 2000 lbs and more than 12,000 lbs of towing.

310 Hp at 3200 rpm and 555 lb/ft of torque for the engine.

Suddenly what is towable with a half ton has expanded. And the "buy a one ton" crowd may have to re think their philosophy a bit.

Like it or not this is a very interesting truck.
55 REPLIES 55

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
MM49 wrote:
You will be very suprised when the "light duty 5.0l Cummins is released" This is no cummins. The development has been plaguded with problems, It hasn't met many of its requirements. That is why it ended up at Nissan.
MM49

Never heard of any problems with its development. The engine didn't just "end up at Nissan". Both Nissan and Chrysler/Ram signed up to develop this engine back during their brief partnership. When the recession hit, Chrysler broke off the partnership with Nissan and pulled out of the project completely. Nissan stayed with Cummins and continued the develop the engine without Chrysler.

Correct. Still it will be interesting to see its uptake by the general public

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
You will be very suprised when the "light duty 5.0l Cummins is released" This is no cummins. The development has been plaguded with problems, It hasn't met many of its requirements. That is why it ended up at Nissan.
MM49
You sound like you may have worked for Cummins in Columbus.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Majja13 wrote:
I think if that is a well equipped model and is up to the new J2808 Standard. The XD only gives up 346 lbs of payload over a Ram 2500 6.7 Crew cab 4x4 with a 6.4' bed. I think this makes a hell of a contender in the 2500/250 market. Especially if MPG's run better then the Gas counter parts in the same trucks.

Ram Payload data came form (http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/)

Payload is one thing but I'm more curious about axle weight ratings. I think that'll be a better indicator of whether this truck is closer to a half ton or a three quarter ton. I think it may be a great tweener option for a lot of people.

I would agree with that. I want to see what the actual production truck not all the pre production show trucks.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Majja13 wrote:
I think if that is a well equipped model and is up to the new J2808 Standard. The XD only gives up 346 lbs of payload over a Ram 2500 6.7 Crew cab 4x4 with a 6.4' bed. I think this makes a hell of a contender in the 2500/250 market. Especially if MPG's run better then the Gas counter parts in the same trucks.

Payload is one thing but I'm more curious about axle weight ratings. I think that'll be a better indicator of whether this truck is closer to a half ton or a three quarter ton. I think it may be a great tweener option for a lot of people.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
MM49 wrote:
MM49

Never heard of any problems with its development. The engine didn't just "end up at Nissan". Both Nissan and Chrysler/Ram signed up to develop this engine back during their brief partnership. When the recession hit, Chrysler broke off the partnership with Nissan and pulled out of the project completely. Nissan stayed with Cummins and continued the develop the engine without Chrysler.

$4 plus per gallon diesel at the time also help shelve the 1/2 diesels all the OEM's were developing.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Tystevens wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:
x96mnn wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:
In the July August issue of Truck Trend Magazine is an extended article on the new Nissan half ton Titan. Equipped with a Cummins 5.0L V8 diesel and the Aisin 6 speed transmission this truck will be very interesting.

It's payload and towing numbers are impressive: Payload 2000 lbs and more than 12,000 lbs of towing.

Suddenly what is towable with a half ton has expanded. And the "buy a one ton" crowd may have to re think their philosophy a bit.

Although I think it is going to be a great truck in the half ton market, I really doubt if it is going to effect the 1 ton crowd at all! Maybe the 3/4 ton crowd but even that would be a stretch. There are already 1/2 ton models that have over 2000pds payload and over 12000 PCs of towing but that still does not compare to a new 1 ton.

I think a lot of folks are missing the real point. The vast majority of the design, marketing and future efforts overall in the truck world is moving DOWN MARKET into the half ton segment. The writing is on the wall in fuel mileage standards and pollution standards that with the present line up of heavier trucks will be very hard to meet.

The auto companies are finding ways to achieve the same payloads and towing with lighter, stronger trucks and more interesting engine/transmission combinations.

The 3/4 and one ton's may always be with us for obvious reasons but the car companies are definitely looking at ways to replace some of that market with 1/2 tons of greater capacity.

Actually, the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are not included in the current CAFE mpg standards. So if the manufacturers are going to beef up their 1/2 tons, they are going to have to so do while improving mpg.

I agree with the 'trickle-down' statement, though.

Not yet. Be afraid. ๐Ÿ™‚

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer

2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
x96mnn wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:

Although I think it is going to be a great truck in the half ton market, I really doubt if it is going to effect the 1 ton crowd at all! Maybe the 3/4 ton crowd but even that would be a stretch. There are already 1/2 ton models that have over 2000pds payload and over 12000 PCs of towing but that still does not compare to a new 1 ton.

I think a lot of folks are missing the real point. The vast majority of the design, marketing and future efforts overall in the truck world is moving DOWN MARKET into the half ton segment. The writing is on the wall in fuel mileage standards and pollution standards that with the present line up of heavier trucks will be very hard to meet.

The auto companies are finding ways to achieve the same payloads and towing with lighter, stronger trucks and more interesting engine/transmission combinations.

The 3/4 and one ton's may always be with us for obvious reasons but the car companies are definitely looking at ways to replace some of that market with 1/2 tons of greater capacity.

Actually, the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are not included in the current CAFE mpg standards. So if the manufacturers are going to beef up their 1/2 tons, they are going to have to so do while improving mpg.

I agree with the 'trickle-down' statement, though.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

Community Alumni
Not applicable
MM49 wrote:
MM49

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
x96mnn wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
It is a brand new engine platform, the first on-road V for Cummins in a long time, and is being cross promoted for MD use...but it is not an established platform at all.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
http://cumminsengines.com/cummins-5l-v8-turbo-diesel Read about it, its also going into commercial and motorhome use of which rumor is Tiffin Breeze will be using it.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
MM49 wrote:
MM49

Source? It was my understanding that this engine is already in use in medium duty applications.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
MM49