cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Nissan Titan half ton

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the July August issue of Truck Trend Magazine is an extended article on the new Nissan half ton Titan. Equipped with a Cummins 5.0L V8 diesel and the Aisin 6 speed transmission this truck will be very interesting.

It's payload and towing numbers are impressive: Payload 2000 lbs and more than 12,000 lbs of towing.

310 Hp at 3200 rpm and 555 lb/ft of torque for the engine.

Suddenly what is towable with a half ton has expanded. And the "buy a one ton" crowd may have to re think their philosophy a bit.

Like it or not this is a very interesting truck.
55 REPLIES 55

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IMO this will make Nissan a player again for trucks. Pretty robust pkg for those that want or need it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Good to see Nissan has stopped ignoring the Titan and put some effort into. Looks like it might be a great combo.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
AH64ID wrote:
otrfun wrote:
AH64ID wrote:
Just because the transmission is made by Aisin does not mean it's the same one and a simple photo comparison says they are not the same as the Ram.

Aisin also makes the transmission in my 4Runner ๐Ÿ™‚

They are a well known transmission company but so far the only place I have seen calling it the same transmission as the Ram is the forums.... Nothing else backs it up to include photos.
Direct quote from the Truck Trend Nissan Titan Diesel article the OP mentioned: "The exclusive transmission is an Aisin-sourced heavy-duty six-speed automatic, the same unit used for the Ram 3500." I've seen the same thing mentioned in nearly every first-look article about the Nissan Titan Diesel I've read for a number of months now.
The article does say that (missed it), but that article also says it will use the same rear axle as the Ram 2500 Power Wagon.

Look at the rear axle pictured and then read the article. The axle in the photo is the AAM 9.5" Semi-Float 14 bolt used by GM. The axle mentioned in the article is a AAM 10.5" full float axle (not the same as the 10.5" 14 bolt full float). The XD is very obviously using a SF axle and there isn't a Ram 2500 available with a SF axle.

So let's get something other than a truck trend writer/editor as evidence.

Here are some Nissan per-production photos.

http://www.nissanusa.com/trucks/2016-titan/

Then google AS69RC and you will see they are not the same transmission.

Then again why would Nissan want the AS69RC as it is BEYOND overkill and not a cheap option on top of the Cummins 6.7.
Ok, I did as you suggested. I'll let these two pics speak for themselves (Ram 3500 Aisin on left, Nissan Titan Cummins Aisin on right). Looks like a big thumbs up for the Nissan Titan Cummins to me . . . ">

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:
In the July August issue of Truck Trend Magazine is an extended article on the new Nissan half ton Titan. Equipped with a Cummins 5.0L V8 diesel and the Aisin 6 speed transmission this truck will be very interesting.

It's payload and towing numbers are impressive: Payload 2000 lbs and more than 12,000 lbs of towing.

Suddenly what is towable with a half ton has expanded. And the "buy a one ton" crowd may have to re think their philosophy a bit.

It will be interesting to see what the real numbers are

Since the numbers in the article were provided by Nissan and they are stated as..."2000 Plus" and "12,000 plus", I assume these are "real" numbers but will be slightly higher. As this truck is already designed and well into parts ordering and production they had better be already settled.

In that case it will make the Titan a "player"

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:

Since the numbers in the article were provided by Nissan and they are stated as..."2000 Plus" and "12,000 plus", I assume these are "real" numbers but will be slightly higher. As this truck is already designed and well into parts ordering and production they had better be already settled.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
AH64ID wrote:
Just because the transmission is made by Aisin does not mean it's the same one and a simple photo comparison says they are not the same as the Ram.

They are a well known transmission company but so far the only place I have seen calling it the same transmission as the Ram is the forums.... Nothing else backs it up to include photos.
Direct quote from the Truck Trend Nissan Titan Diesel article the OP mentioned: "The exclusive transmission is an Aisin-sourced heavy-duty six-speed automatic, the same unit used for the Ram 3500." I've seen the same thing mentioned in nearly every first-look article about the Nissan Titan Diesel I've read for a number of months now.

The article does say that (missed it), but that article also says it will use the same rear axle as the Ram 2500 Power Wagon.

Look at the rear axle pictured and then read the article. The axle in the photo is the AAM 9.5" Semi-Float 14 bolt used by GM. The axle mentioned in the article is a AAM 10.5" full float axle (not the same as the 10.5" 14 bolt full float). The XD is very obviously using a SF axle and there isn't a Ram 2500 available with a SF axle.

So let's get something other than a truck trend writer/editor as evidence.

Here are some Nissan per-production photos.

http://www.nissanusa.com/trucks/2016-titan/

Then google AS69RC and you will see they are not the same transmission.

Then again why would Nissan want the AS69RC as it is BEYOND overkill and not a cheap option on top of the Cummins 6.7.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
AH64ID wrote:

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer

-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
I'm curious to see what the REAL WORLD payloads and costs will be. You can option a Toyota Tundra to have over 2000 lbs payload (reg cab, short bed, 4x2), so its somewhat disheartening to read that the Titan is advertised as 2000 lbs payload. Now... if you can get a crew cab 4x4 with 2000 payload then I am interested.

Then you get into the $10K upgrade price. If a regular Titan is $30K, that makes the Titan XD around $40K. For that kind of money I can get a 1 ton truck with some options and a LOT more payload.

I'm keeping an open mind though and am hopeful that this ends up being a quality truck. To take sales away from the Big 3 3/4 trucks they are going to need to offer better quality, better mileage and/or better price. Without 20+ mpgs or a better price, I see this being a potential dog for Nissan.

I'm glad you were open minded enough to take that Toyota built with most US made parts slogan off your signature! :W

BTW... My SIL's father has a Nissan Titan and I get tired of hearing how great of a truck it is.

More than likely revenge from sitting through dinner parties with you saying how good your 6.0 diesel was. :B

LOL...I don't even dare bring up the truck topic when we're around the table or everyone will give me the evil eye. We have noticed that when we make a hunting trip my BIL has to go way out of his way to pick up his FIL's four wheeler on his trailer and tow it with his to the deer camp. For some odd reason he won't even tow a flat bed trailer, but yet his truck is the best out there.

Now at deer camp when the beer is flowing around the camp fire the stories and the BS and in full force. :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
I'm curious to see what the REAL WORLD payloads and costs will be. You can option a Toyota Tundra to have over 2000 lbs payload (reg cab, short bed, 4x2), so its somewhat disheartening to read that the Titan is advertised as 2000 lbs payload. Now... if you can get a crew cab 4x4 with 2000 payload then I am interested.

Then you get into the $10K upgrade price. If a regular Titan is $30K, that makes the Titan XD around $40K. For that kind of money I can get a 1 ton truck with some options and a LOT more payload.

I'm keeping an open mind though and am hopeful that this ends up being a quality truck. To take sales away from the Big 3 3/4 trucks they are going to need to offer better quality, better mileage and/or better price. Without 20+ mpgs or a better price, I see this being a potential dog for Nissan.

I'm glad you were open minded enough to take that Toyota built with most US made parts slogan off your signature! :W

BTW... My SIL's father has a Nissan Titan and I get tired of hearing how great of a truck it is.

More than likely revenge from sitting through dinner parties with you saying how good your 6.0 diesel was. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
oops, sorry

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
spoon059 wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tranny and rear end in this truck are proven, off-the-shelf units--especially the tranny--the same Aisin unit used in the Ram 3500. The Cummins 5.0 V8 has already been used in some commercial applications, so this engine has some history in the realworld. You can bet Nissan looked closely at this data before committing to this engine. This drivetrain looks like a winner.

As I've said in the past, for those expecting this truck to have an MSRP less than a 3/4 ton diesel just because it has less payload/tow capacity will be sadly disappointed.

The most popular (best selling) 1/2-ton trucks AND 3/4 to 1-ton trucks (diesels included) ALL have MSRP's from $45k-$55k. IMO, it's a given the Nissan Titan Diesel will also have a "competitive" MSRP in the $45k-$55k range.

IMO, 1) the Cummins engine, 2) use of a proven (heavy-duty) off-the-shelf tranny/differential, 3) the estimated 16/22 EPA MPG numbers, and 4) Nissan's generally good reputation, will make a it a very tough competitor---pulling sales away from both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck segment.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS