cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New RV-about to drive off the lot- Found Leak

rvbc
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to purchase a new Venture Sonic 22VBH today. I drove yesterday to the lot to look it over after a heavy rain and found a leak at the corner of the slideout.

Tech looked at it and said that hes fixed it with silicone sealant where a spot was missed. I will run a hose over the entire roof today to see if it leaks. This is my first trailer and I am nervous about the purchase. Is this normal? Should I ask to have them look inside slide out and take apart?

Thanks for any feedback!!
18 REPLIES 18

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
rvbc wrote:
Fantastic!! thanks for all the advice, I walked and didn't finalize the purchase. I feel so much better not bringing it home and stressing about it down the road.

One thing positive from all this is now im going to be a hell of a lot more meticulous on inspection.

In my opinion you did the right thing walking away.

You don't know how much damage may have already occurred due to the leak. No sense starting out your ownership with a brand new unit that has already been leaking. And as others have mentioned, the silicon fix is not very impressive of a remedy.

There will -always- be another camper to purchase. They are not a rare commodity.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Silicone doesn't fix leaks, it compounds them. Silicone is for bathtubs.....
If they use silicone they have no idea what they are doing. Silicone will not seal anything exterior, especially one that moves and flexes.
Good thing you walked.

X2
Silicone is a great sealer when in compression and not exposed to weather. On an RV it is the devil.

I was in the "walk away"camp, too, but thought you may have already purchased the trailer. For your peace of mind that is a good decision. There is another trailer right around the bend (maybe a better deal or better suits you, also).
If you're not a DIY guy/gal, the first place I would look at when purchasing at a dealership is the Service Dept. A cursory look will probably be enough to evaluate their quality.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Silicone doesn't fix leaks, it compounds them. Silicone is for bathtubs.....
If they use silicone they have no idea what they are doing. Silicone will not seal anything exterior, especially one that moves and flexes.
Good thing you walked.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

rvbc
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic!! thanks for all the advice, I walked and didn't finalize the purchase. I feel so much better not bringing it home and stressing about it down the road.

One thing positive from all this is now im going to be a hell of a lot more meticulous on inspection.

js6343js6343
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with others. Move on.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS
2004 Suburban 2500 8.1L 4.10
Reese dual cam WDH
Tekonsha Prodigy 2

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Opps edited my post, just realized you never bought it yet, I would move on and find another trailer.

SAGE advice. I would consider a different dealer also.
bumpy

westend
Explorer
Explorer
rvbc wrote:
no split on repair, manager said they do a pressure test and that it would've been done today.

they are reputable and confident they will do what they can to fix

I will go out there and put a hose on it... would it be fair to hit the slideout from the side with the hose to simulate driving rain or is that a bit too much to expect??
The pressurized interior test is the best indicator. You don't need to direct water on anything. The test will turn up even a pinhole leak.

If it was me, I'd inspect the repair area and if it was anything less than superb, I'd ask for a complete slide out gasket replacement.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Opps edited my post, just realized you never bought it yet, I would move on and find another trailer.

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
I'd walk. If they can't get it perfect now, what will happen later? Ask to see another trailer. Happy you found it before it became your problem.

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
I would be weary too, leaks can cause mold inside the walls plus unseen damage. Not to scare you but I wouldn't have pulled it off the lot, now that you have, it yours.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Fixed it with silicone....right.
Don't know if this is your first RV, but since you are new to the Forum, I'll offer this.
Those of us who have been at this for a while know that leaks are one of our biggest fears....and can be catastrophic to an RV....seen and unseen damage, lots and lots of grief.

Just be very careful and be very weary of, "Fixed it with some silicone."
Personally, I don't like the sound of this.
I'd at least want to be present for the leak test.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

rvbc
Explorer
Explorer
no split on repair, manager said they do a pressure test and that it would've been done today.

they are reputable and confident they will do what they can to fix

I will go out there and put a hose on it... would it be fair to hit the slideout from the side with the hose to simulate driving rain or is that a bit too much to expect??

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Not normal!
I know how you feel with a new unit sitting there just waiting for you but I would find another.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Since you found a leak, see if they'll split the cost of a Sealtech pressure test. The interior pressure test will find any additional leaks or affirm that the original was repaired correctly.

I wouldn't split the cost myself. its a repaired vehicle (and with silicone) show it works. it should be able to be adjusted to not leak without patching it.

and if they will slap something together to get it off the lot, what kind of service do you expect to get from them when other issues arise?
bumpy