cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie question: Truck camper insurance

roamermatt
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy all, I just joined the forums and have a question about insuring a truck camper. I've owned RVs before but never a TC. However, I'm about to buy a used one.

I've read that some auto policies automatically include insurance coverage for a truck camper. Is this true, is it adequate, and is it only in some states or all?

If you hold separate insurance on your TC, can you recommend a company?

Also, does anyone NOT hold insurance on their TC? Just wondering as in most states they do not require a separate vehicle license, so, presumably, insurance would not be required by law.

Thanks in advance!
26 REPLIES 26

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
Jfet wrote:
I am sure I am going to have fun trying to insure our homebuilt camper. There is nothing to compare it for replacement value. If it is totaled and insurance was paying for replacement I guess it would cost $60,000 or more to have a company build from scratch.

This happens with boats and airplanes all the time. Personal property appraisers can put a value on your homemade camper. It may be hard to find one to do it properly though.

To make their job easier, keep all receipts and document all labor hours put into the camper. Experimental aircraft builders have to do this for the FAA, and it helps appraisers to value the completed project more accurately. A valuation from an appraiser will make a world of difference to insurance companies and would hold up in court.
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

franco_ontarien
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently had a discussion with my insurance agent in regards to my camper and truck. Here is how it was explained:
When camper is on the truck and truck is moving, truck's policy covers the camper.
When truck is parked in driveway or in campground, home insurance or separate insurance covers camper. (Even if camper is sitting on the truck)

In my case, I don't have home insurance so I had to get separate insurance. With an additional fee for liability insurance.
Turns out that for a few years, even though my camper was separately insured, I wasn't covered for liability because I didn't have home insurance.

Just make sure that liability coverage is always there.

Obviously this changes between states and provinces...

Bigfootchevy
Explorer
Explorer
Get seperate insurance, would you like your auto insurance to go up because a tree falls on your camper in a campground.

Paul

molliestraub
Explorer
Explorer
I called Liberty Mutual again and still got the same story. Max they will cover is up to a value of $24,999. The truck camper would be covered under the truck policy and they insisted it would not be covered under our homeowner's policy. I gave up with them and made a few other calls. I got the best price through RV America with a Progressive policy - truck camper only. They have total loss replacement, a diminishing deductible, emergency expenses, and vacation/premises liability included.

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure I am going to have fun trying to insure our homebuilt camper. There is nothing to compare it for replacement value. If it is totaled and insurance was paying for replacement I guess it would cost $60,000 or more to have a company build from scratch.

molliestraub
Explorer
Explorer
Joe - We have Liberty Mutual for home and auto and are looking for insurance for our truck camper. Liberty Mutual didn't seem to know what a truck camper was and wanted to quote us for "customizing equipment." What should I ask/tell them to get more information on coverage and a quote that properly covers our rig? Thanks.

JoeVita
Explorer
Explorer
I have become something of a truck camper insurance expert after having my truck and camper stolen last year. You can find the thread here.

I have Liberty Mutual Insurance and they did right by me and I have both the truck and camper back fully restored.

I have the issues explained in writting from them. First, When the camper is mounted on the truck it is included in the coverage for the truck and is so noted on the policy declarations.

Second, If the camper is off the bed of the truck at a "seasonal" campsite or campground or stored in a storage RV lot it is covered by homeowner's insurance. If however it is left there permanently or used as a residence then the coverage would not apply.
06 Ford F-350 Crew Cab SB DRW 4x2 Diesel Automatic, Reese Class V hitch
05 Lance Max 881, Happijac Tiedowns, FastGuns with Locks, Struts,
Circle J two horse, slant load Horse Trailer
One Appendix Quarter Horse Gelding Dun Color

youngm357
Explorer
Explorer
Important to note is that insurance on vehicles and rv's is normally on an Actual Cash Value basis which means that the most they will pay you for a loss is replacement cost MINUS depreciation. If your rig is more than 7 years old it is probably not worth a lot on this basis and might not be worth insuring.

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Rettrooper wrote:
MORSNOW wrote:
RWDIII wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Rettrooper wrote:
MYTACO wrote:
USAA covers TC as part of the vehicle. You have to make sure they understand that it is attached to the vehicle.

I have USAA and they advised me that I needed insurance seperate from the truck for it to be covered while "on and off" the vehicle.

Interesting same insurer and differing opinions.

same for me. rider on TC with USAA

Same for us and I have been with them since 74

Same for me, it's a rider for the TC on the truck. It is also covered when the TC is sitting at my house, which is also with USAA.

I think we should keep quoting to see how many frames we can get! Apologies to the OP!

Yes but we need Mytaco to tell us why his policy is different
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

Rettrooper
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
RWDIII wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Rettrooper wrote:
MYTACO wrote:
USAA covers TC as part of the vehicle. You have to make sure they understand that it is attached to the vehicle.

I have USAA and they advised me that I needed insurance seperate from the truck for it to be covered while "on and off" the vehicle.

Same for me, it's a rider for the TC on the truck. It is also covered when the TC is sitting at my house, which is also with USAA.

I think we should keep quoting to see how many frames we can get! Apologies to the OP!
2013 Eagle Cap 1160
2006 Ford F-350 SD CC Diesel

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
RWDIII wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Rettrooper wrote:
MYTACO wrote:

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Rettrooper wrote:
MYTACO wrote:

OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Rettrooper wrote:
MYTACO wrote:

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Rettrooper
Explorer
Explorer
MYTACO wrote:

2013 Eagle Cap 1160
2006 Ford F-350 SD CC Diesel