cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie start from zero, nothing, nada !

homer1959
Explorer
Explorer
Hello guys, im looking for your advice to compare with the one received on an another board.
here is the rig: jay flight 248 RBS 27.5 feet long
Maximum weight fully loaded 7000lbs
tongue weight dry 555

pick up considered:
New silverado 1500 with the tow max package , 5.3 ltr, 3.43 axle,

Am i looking for trouble with this set up, its lots of money so a mistake will be expensive, i know that for some peoples you always need a freightliner to tow something, but hey if we stay reasonable.......

thanks for your input
22 REPLIES 22

swanny297
Explorer
Explorer
You are not making a big mistake, loooking at some quick numbers and guessing what kind of truck you are buying.

If you are looking at a new 1500 CC, 2WD with max tow, you will have a 3.73 rear axle (if it is different you probably don't have the max tow, just a 1500 with a 3.42 (don't make a 3.43)and tow package). The truck has a curb weight of 5042lbs, and a GVWR of 7200lbs, so that leaves 2158lbs of payload - plenty of truck for a trailer with a GVWR of 7000lbs. Your GCWR with this combination is 16,700lbs.

If you are doing this leisurly with your family a 1500 will be perfect especially if it is your everyday vehicle.

homer1959
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all you save me from making a big mistake ! See you on the road soon !

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 2500 is going to be the safer choice what do think about my numbers here ?

Two thoughts. First most folks look to bigger trailers or RV's so if you get a bigger truck you can go bigger with the RV without the need for another truck.

My second thought is that at least on the Ford towing site (you mentioned Ford in your response) the normally aspired gas engine loses 2 percent of power for each 1000 feet elevation. GM gas engines are probably exactly the same at altitude reductions. At 5000 feet like the Denver are you will be down 10 percent of your tow rating just for altitude. Also Ford specifies that the frontal area also has a deduct for fifth wheels and travel trailers. Add both deducts together and the tow rating drops to perhaps where you are number wise or even less. Go bigger and have the margin, brakes, etc. that have been mentioned by others. As a previous poster noted a travel trailer is not a boat and perhaps towing a boat is easier for both tongue weight and frontal area. But, you are towing a travel trailer. As to the daily driver part of your decision process, I have had two 2500 (three quarter ton trucks and one 3500) and they all are just fine. I really don't see the big daily driver difference between a half ton and a three quarter ton as they are the same size for parking, etc. What is different is payload ratings.

If I was purchasing a new gas truck to tow a trailer today I would look hard at the new Ram 6.4 gas engine. It appears to be designed and built for working and preliminary reports are coming in at around 16 mpg empty on the highway and 10 or so towing trailers about your trailer's weight. And it has plenty of power for that bigger trailer of fifth wheel you will want in a couple years. I think the 6.4 with a 4.10 axle will tow 16,000 pounds. Just a few years ago only the diesels could tow that and stay within the tow ratings provided by the manufacturer. But, whatever you get the most important thing is to use it and enjoy it.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

homer1959
Explorer
Explorer
Jmtandem yes thats exactly what i was trying to avoid.
I found an interesrting section on the web gm site, and something similar on ford

4387lbs for the truck alone
385 lbs for 2 pass.
400 lbs of gear
100 lbs ? For the hitch
910 lbs on the tongue (13 % of 7000 max trailer weight )

1795 lbs for pass equip etc etc
4387 for the p.u
7000 max weight for the trailer
14172 for gcwr
max allowed be gm for a sierra 1500
16700 lbs and this is with the biggest towing option

so my margin is 2528

not a whole of a lot

The 2500 is going to be the safer choice what do think about my numbers here ?

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
tongue weight dry 555

pick up considered:
New silverado 1500 with the tow max package , 5.3 ltr, 3.42 axle,

That's a good combo. Get the HD towing package for the trans cooler. Tow rating is in the 9500 pound range. 3.42 axle is better than older 4-spds with 4.56, or plenty for RVing with 5 usable towing gears. RVers with the 2009+ GM 6-spd/3.42 say towing is comfortable in the 7k loaded range. The 2014's got lighter and more powerful so all the typical half tons RV limitations of payload shouldn't be a problem. Crew cab half tons mid trim level have 1700ish pounds.

I'm all for the weight police and towing a TT with a 3/4 ton would likely be more comfortable, but 7k loaded is perfectly in the half ton range of comfort while providing lower purchase and operating costs plus a better unloaded ride.

What he said.

I wouldn't go past 7500-8000 lbs. with a half ton but this combo seems reasonable.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

APT
Explorer
Explorer
tongue weight dry 555

pick up considered:
New silverado 1500 with the tow max package , 5.3 ltr, 3.42 axle,

That's a good combo. Get the HD towing package for the trans cooler. Tow rating is in the 9500 pound range. 3.42 axle is better than older 4-spds with 4.56, or plenty for RVing with 5 usable towing gears. RVers with the 2009+ GM 6-spd/3.42 say towing is comfortable in the 7k loaded range. The 2014's got lighter and more powerful so all the typical half tons RV limitations of payload shouldn't be a problem. Crew cab half tons mid trim level have 1700ish pounds.

I'm all for the weight police and towing a TT with a 3/4 ton would likely be more comfortable, but 7k loaded is perfectly in the half ton range of comfort while providing lower purchase and operating costs plus a better unloaded ride.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't imagine the daunting financial task of having to buy a TV and a TT at the same time!

If I understand the OP correctly this is exactly what he is trying to avoid -- getting the wrong tow vehicle for the job and then having to spend even more to correct that situation.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
The only reason we have our half ton is to pull the TT. We are at its limits, and I only continue to use it because we typically tow short distance over flat grades, and I have never felt insecure when towing. It acclerates and brakes well, and I've never had issues with sway.

While I'd like to move up to a 2500 for towing, the 1500 is already a gas hog that my wife drives around for shopping and work. And the fuel bill is horrendous as gas goes over $3.50/gallon. I can't imagine having to pay more with a 2500.

Of the mileage we put on the half ton, only a small fraction involves towing. So I'd be paying a boatload more in gas that would only beneift me during the few miles that we tow. Obviously that is my personal situation, and everyone's is different.

Also, I priced out pickups since ours is now 12 years old. Talk about sticker shock! We plan on getting many more years out of the Avalanche. A few repairs here and there are nothing compared to the price of a new or even a used pickup!

I can't imagine the daunting financial task of having to buy a TV and a TT at the same time!
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:

Look at the truck and trailer in my signature. If your weights are indeed accurate then that combination is doable with a proper WDH setup. BTW - the GM ratio is 3.42. 😉

I have the same trailer and truck as wmoses and do fine. I am at 7,400 pounds loaded. Just spent three weeks in the Smoky Mountains and had no problems towing up and down some decent grades.

Our next rig will be larger and probably a 5'er so we will upgrade to a 3500. I saw no reason to buy a 3500 now because we are going to keep this trailer for 7-8 years and will be ready for a new truck by then anyway.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
What cab configuration on the truck - standard, extended, or 4-door crew? How many people and how much gear are you hauling?
If you have 2 kids, a dog, and haul bikes and firewood in a crew cab you'll run out of payload on a 1/2-ton truck. My F150 is an extended cab but it's just DW & me, a 26-1/2' TT, and maybe bikes and a canoe.
The Chevy's w/ 3.42 gears now have the 6-speed transmission vs the old 4-speed, so GM figures the extra transmission gears can compensate for the high rear end ratio.
Pay attention to the yellow payload sticker on the door jamb, and see how much it varies truck to truck with cab configuration, trim level, 2X4 vs 4X4, and box length.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
keymastr wrote:
And there you have it! Those commercials showing a half ton truck towing 11,000 pounds almost always show them towing a boat. Why? Because boats only require 7 percent tounge weight and usually have a much more aerodynamic profile. Travel trailers put much more weight on the hitch and are about as aerodynamic as a brick. It takes a good bit more throttle to do the same speed than it does towing a boat and a good bit more suspension and braking to control it.

Once you get to 7000 pounds you need a 3/4 ton truck. You might be able to make it work with less but it will never be easy and if the fuse for the trailer brakes blows on one of the many 7 percent grades we have out west god help you and anyone around you.

And maybe not, right off the Ford site!

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
And there you have it! Those commercials showing a half ton truck towing 11,000 pounds almost always show them towing a boat. Why? Because boats only require 7 percent tounge weight and usually have a much more aerodynamic profile. Travel trailers put much more weight on the hitch and are about as aerodynamic as a brick. It takes a good bit more throttle to do the same speed than it does towing a boat and a good bit more suspension and braking to control it.

Once you get to 7000 pounds you need a 3/4 ton truck. You might be able to make it work with less but it will never be easy and if the fuse for the trailer brakes blows on one of the many 7 percent grades we have out west god help you and anyone around you.

m_2_ak
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my Sprinter 266RBS with a half ton 3 times before I realized I didn't have enough truck. I made a very expensive mistake and thought as long as I didn't go over the numbers everything would be okay. The three times I towed was not very fun. I got a bigger truck and the last two times have been so much nicer, I didn't have to worry about any weights. If you have a choice, get the bigger truck now. I wish I had done it in the first place, I could have saved myself about $15k. Don't put a few thousand dollars over the safety of your family and your rig.

Happy camping.
Mike
2014 F-250 6.7 PSD Lariat
2014 Keystone Sprinter 266RBS w/ outdoor kitchen:B

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
homer1959 wrote:
Hello guys, im looking for your advice to compare with the one received on an another board.
tongue weight dry 555

pick up considered:
New silverado 1500 with the tow max package , 5.3 ltr, 3.43 axle,

thanks for your input

Look at the truck and trailer in my signature. If your weights are indeed accurate then that combination is doable with a proper WDH setup. BTW - the GM ratio is 3.42. 😉
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_