cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nissan Pathfinder - Tow cap?

MR_MAC
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter is looking at two pathfinders, #1 is a new 2016 without a tow package, sales man says they will install a hitch. The other is a 2014 with tow package on it (Its a Platinum and she really likes) Sales man says hey will both have a 6000 lb tow cap. I feel the factory pkg. will be better But I ? any difference in motor, fram, and tranny cooling, or is there any improvements since 2014 & 2016.

She is only pulling a 3050 lb (inc full gas cylinders) Jayco 17 ft. single axel TT with two pull outs.

Main question is he dealer hitch install any good. I ask ere and I am going to look and ask myself. Then again I think both should walk away with her TT. But maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for any Info. you may have
ROBERT L MC INTYRE
9 REPLIES 9

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember, towing capacity is only one facet. The gross carrying capacity is just as important. Look at the hitch load, people, dogs, camping equipment, etc. You may be only towing a 5K trailer but be over gross with all the stuff inside Pathfinder.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Skelshy
Explorer
Explorer
I recently researched the 2017. The tow hitch and wiring is dealer installed. This means as long as you are getting the original or OE equivalent parts, it won't be any different new vs. retrofit

The '14 and '16 have a 5000 lbs tow limit when properly equipped. The tow limit has been increased to 6000 lbs for the 2017 model year thanks to a higher performing engine and better cooling.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes it is a cvt. We test drove one, and loved it. Interior was super nice, drove great, and we actually liked the cvt. We would have bought one, but we keep cars 10-15 years, and after reading the problems we held off. The DW is still driving her 2003 pilot (225k miles).

Not sure what we will do, but my daughter turns 16 this spring, and the plan is to pass the pilot to her, and get the wife a new ride.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Nascar24
Explorer
Explorer
Nissan makes 7 pin trailer plug kits for the Pathfinder OEM plug and play, relay will also be needed. I have a 2008 and just installed the kit. far better than the aftermarket kits . I also purchased a Reese brake controller with the Nissan harness, also plug and play ( plug located under knee panel below steering column .

The newer Pathfinders have for ratings of 5000 lbs properly equipped, so don't listen to the salesman.

The older ones like my 08 V8 has 7000 lb tow capacity and 700 lb Tongue weight. The Older V6 models had 6000 lb and 600 lb tongue weight capacity. I also installed a set of air lift air bags and would suggest the same
Good Luck and Happy Trails
2008 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 V8
2014 Grey Wolf 19RR Toy Hauler
Nascar24 A lengend in my own mind, A Scary thought in someone else's!

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Does that crossover use a CVT transmission? I thought that those were not good for towing? I could be wrong, just asking since it relates to the topic.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before she buys a '14 PF read about the transmission problems. Looks like they may have fixed it with the '16s. We almost bout one until I read about that problem. Gets a shudder under light acceleration. Not all of them did it, but lots of complaints about it.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
There is more to a tow package/option than just the receiver...especially if
it has an automatic transmission

Many have and/or should have:
  • Aux ATF (automatic tranny fluid) cooler
  • Larger main radiator
  • Engine Oil cooler (usually part of the main radiator)

And more...like some OEMs have a larger fan, different software and a
Tow/Haul function, etc
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Dealer installed hitch could be anything from c rappy to fantastic. Need lights too and brakes. Prolly pre wired on the tow pkg one.
Other changes are likely addl or bigger trans cooler and possibly lower rear gears.
I'd suggest you look up the specs on the 2 vehicles in question. That will tell you.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
What are the tow capacities on the placard in the vehicle. Not what the salesman states.
Need the CVWR, GCVR and the curb weight (empty weight) of the vehicles then a comparison can be made.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind