cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Not a big enough trailer

Luv_nCamp_n
Explorer
Explorer
Here is our dilemma, we bought a new 2009 31red heartland north trail a few years ago, with a loan. (So we still owe). We like most things about the trailer. But due to a slow leak the floor in the family living area became soft and will be getting replaced after the camping season is over. The floor plan use to be sufficient for my family, but it seems we always take extra kids and that makes it miserable for my husband and I come morning time. I just want to sit down and drink a cup of coffee, but there are literally bodies everywhere. Not to mention, the takedown and set up they have to do just to lay down.

We have a 19yo daughter, that goes with us when her work and school allow her time, and our 12 yo boy that would take his whole entourage if we allowed,lol. He usually has at least 1 friend, and our 2 nieces his age are usually along.

Trading up on a bunkhouse is not an option due to the damage. So we have tossed around the idea of taking the master bedroom and converting it to a bunk room. We are not afraid of diy, we have built houses, and extensive high end remodels. My question is for the "very knowledgeable on all things RV related forum members" are we crazy to think this is acceptable? And if it is acceptable, will moving the kids to the hitch end help to eliminate some of the added wiggle we experience at night during sleeping hours.

Please don't hesitate to throw in other possibilities. Except for pitch a tent. They aren't tent kinda kids, and I'm not a tent kinda mom. Lol
49 REPLIES 49

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy the chaos of kids and stepping over bodies while you can. Then when they are gone, enjoy the solitude.
I would agree that in our case, a little pup tent or 1 person job would not go over very well, so we bring along either a large 16'x20' two room tent or our 10'x10' EZUP screened in, led lighted canopy. Cots, box fans and the kids have a hoot. Sorry, tents, for us, have been an awesome option.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Luv'nCamp'n wrote:
Except for pitch a tent. They aren't tent kinda kids, and I'm not a tent kinda mom. Lol

Sounds like a little "RETRAINING" is needed since IMO the tent option is by far the most logical and best solution since anything else will still have the "BODIES EVERYWHERE" ... there is only so much volume between the four walls in a trailer. Working on say a better sleeping arrangement only addresses a small part of the overall space problem unless you plan to chain them to the beds 24/7:B

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Luv_nCamp_n
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. We have many options to throw around,.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thoughts from some. Tents are not for everyone, that is for sure. If you main issue is coffee in the morning I say go outside. We always have our coffee outside in our chairs under the awning or if it is a little cool, we have a fire. Favorite part of camping. I am guessing the kids are setting up their own sleeping and putting it away in the morning.

Do what you need to do but once fixed I would think you would be able to trade it in.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Changing the interior can be tricky because almost everything covers something else. But if you are not going to trade it you cannot hurt much.

My grandkids jumped at the chance to camp out in tents. Of course I had no problems joining them from time to time.

I must admit the only time I ever got any "me" time was when the kids stayed home.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
" Not to mention some of the state parks tend to be over run with rougher crowds"

We only camp in state parks, mostly in Michigan, and have never felt this way at all. Actually, in any state park in any state we've been in, never felt this way. Maybe what bothers you or you think is rough may be different than me though.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Trade down and back if you need to find a bunk trailer.repairing leave to dealer,it doesn't work for you anymore move on.You mod it you will probably lose more money and make it even harder to sell.You are supposed to enjoy it not stress about how to fix things.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
How about a screen room that attaches to the awning. There could be plenty of room to sleep in cots out there, and they would be attached to the trailer for greater peace of mind. Screen rooms can also have privacy panels that can be lowered at night so people can't see in.

I had this type of screen room with a previous PU and it worked great. I think they are only a few hundred dollars, so it is a relatively cheap alternative.

I also would be hesitant to convert the bedroom for kids. Having the bedroom and some privacy was one of our most important needs with a TT. This becomes even more important as the kids get older and we get older. Our daughters are 21 and 24 now, so we all need our space. LOL
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
The kids really need to be in a tent. Thats the beauty of camping. We tented up until we turned 50, had to get the TH, too hard rolling out off the matress. Kids need to be outside not watching movies and playing video games. They should be out exploring things, making friends in the campgroud, having fun.
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
do what you want its your trailer. that said you will destroy any resale value. I have no desire to give up my bed for my kids to have extra room. Growing up we got put in tents or the back of the station wagon and loved it. That said there is a massive difference between a good tent and a bad one. proper air mattress makes a heck of a difference too.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Making the modifications you are proposing would eliminate all adult privacy, which personally I think is more important than kid privacy. My daughter, who is 20 and in college, only gets to camp with us 1-2 times per year. When her friends tags along, they go in a tent. Kids do not usually have a problem with tents, they could care less. Mom's are the one who dont like them
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the idea of the camper shell.

Also... the wiggle in the camper might be helped with some X-chocks:

http://www.amazon.com/X-Chock-Wheel-Stabilizer-Handle-28012/dp/B002XLHUQG
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Luv_nCamp_n
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. The tent has been tried, and they all were inside rather quickly. Not to mention some of the state parks tend to be over run with rougher crowds. I'm not being judgmental, but just this past weekend my husband and son got in the truck and slowly started to pull away from our site and 2 younger kids (preteen?? ) purposefully stopped on their bikes in front of them and gave them this scowl and put their hands up , as to say "what are you gonna do about it." I can't believe how people behave toward others. Music blaring and dogs barking all during daytime hours, and I thought camping was suppose to be relaxing.

So much for thinking. I'm not going to let others ruin our family fun times, so we ignore the behavior and sleep inside.

The truck cab is an idea!

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Luv'nCamp'n wrote:
Please don't hesitate to throw in other possibilities. Except for pitch a tent. They aren't tent kinda kids, and I'm not a tent kinda mom. Lol
Oh well.

:B My thoughts exactly. :B

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
My brother and I plus a friend would sleep in the pickup. A longbed pickup with a campershell (cap). My dad had built two beds along each side with storage tubs underneath. The campershell had a boot (passageway) through to the cab area of the pickup. Our friend would sleep on the front seat of the truck and my brother and I would sleep on the beds in the campershell.

It gave us a place to get away from the parents....