cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Not today

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not today but all week it seemed like. On Tuesday I decided to de-winterize the rig. I thought about two hours then onto the next project. Now when I flush I usually just fill the tank and go from there. This day I decided to you the city hook-up, I never use this for anything. I flushed the system, water coming from all faucets. Now time to fill the tank and sanitize, that's when the problem started. I filled the tank put the Clorox in and started to run it through the system. THe water in the bath was running shut the faucet off, turned on the kitchen water came through then stopped. What the devil is going on. I check all of the connections, no leaks. I hook the city water back up, no water. Okay, must be a bad faucet. I head to HD and pick one up, $124.00 and I need two adapters to connect the different size lines, both female 12/38 in. The sales person says here is what you need. Get home open the package, nope will not fit.Wed. I head out can't find what I need. Go back to HD another associate says this is what I need. He seemed like he know what he was talking about, we open the package and sure enough it part fits. I tell him I need two, he says there are two in the package. I get home and yup there are two adapters, freakin different sizes. The next day I head back to HD and the same guy says oh ya there are two different sizes, ok. He said you'll need brass, a little more costly,
no problem. I get home without looking at the package and **** wrong size. I turn around go back HD I find what I need by myself this time, problem solved, sort of. I turn on the pump no freakin water. I take the feed lines apart close the bypass valves and blow the lines backwards. Put everything back together, I have water. What an ordeal, I must say...
20 REPLIES 20

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Well, yeah first Homie Deport is better than Lowes

I prefer Home Depot too. They usually have better prices, and they don't have a door guard at the exit giving me the evil eye as I walk out, like Lowe's has.

So you show the bulges in your pockets are from all the cash not tools?!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Well, yeah first Homie Deport is better than Lowes

I prefer Home Depot too. They usually have better prices, and they don't have a door guard at the exit giving me the evil eye as I walk out, like Lowe's has.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I don't change the whole kit faucet. Just change the cartridge or faucet core. $14.95 at Ace Hardware works like new again.

Just remove single handle with allen

Remove large retainer nut on top of cartridge and lift out.

Sometimes just buying new O rings that slip into the cartridge is all you need do. Clean all sediment out at same time.

I avoid Home Depot like it has plague.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Well, yeah first Homie Deport is better than Lowes, but don't expect someone to know what YOU need. That's your job. They can tell you where the stuff is but they're not your "friendly neighborhood hardware man". Thankfully we have McClendons Hardware here that prides themselves in carrying all the normal AND oddball size stuff.
Was also the only place other than ordering online that sold garage door torsion springs. Homie D said no way against policy, liability. 2 garage door outfits who said they sold retail shirked when I asked to come by and get a spring citing 10 reasons why I couldn't possibly know the right wind, length, diameter and wire size.
McC had one on the shelf that was close enough. Coulda been done with replacing it by the time I got home if I'd gone there first.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
They are anybody that acts like a no it all,doesnt matter where ,they give bad advise and don't listen.

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
The iPhone app for both Home Depot and Lowes has a search function that shows the aisle and rack of the item. A great time saver.
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
No. But you can find one of them over in welding.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave Pete wrote:
12/38"? Aisle 22. Bottom left on the middle.

Is it the one with flux capacitor?

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
I know who to look for in Home Depot if I need help. There's 2 guys in electrical and 2 in plumbing that know there stuff. I've made several trips to Home Depot in one day several times. But, I don't feel bad for you, I had to go buy 2 gallons of RV antifreeze yesterday to winterize for the second time this season. Stupid weather.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Don't get me started on my ordeals at Home Repo.

But..more on topic---
Like JimH, I'm here in the lovely rainy Pacific NW. We don't get many days of what any normal midwest person would call 'hard freeze'. I think we hit the teens for a week last winter.

I use my TC all year round. Less of course in the winter, but I don't 'winterize'. My house/city water pressure is at 60lbs. (I have a gauge I put in right over the house water heater.) When I go to 'winterize' the TC, I made a fitting that attaches to my air compressor, set it to 40psi and stick that on the TC city water connection. Then go around and open up each faucet and blow everything out with high volume air.

Now, you need to make sure the fresh water tank is bone dry, because of course this won't blow water out of your pump or pump lines. I run the pump till it stops gurgling.

So the moral of the story - I never need to worry about de-winterizing. Just fill n go. In all my years of TC'ing I've never had a bad faucet or cracked pipe.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
12/38"? Aisle 22. Bottom left on the middle.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know what Home Depot has and where better than people who work there.
Ask how much HD pays their associates and compare what good technician makes in your area and you will know what to expect.
I always open packages and check what inside. Beside the boxes not being specific with description, too many times I found a box where "somebody was before" and expert HD associates resealed the box not checking for missing parts inside.
Now I am expert in metric fittings and I am expert in SAE fittings, but still can't get the "12/38 in" size.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm thinking "they" is the Home Depot staff. Btw, I'm annoyed by them if I let them help me, too. My solution is don't let them help. Works for me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

This weekend the DW mentioned to the clerk in the tools section we were shopping for a drill and so, the clerk started rapid firing questions. After a couple of answers, I just told him I don't need any help, thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm sure he meant well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
pa traveler wrote:
They always act like their experts on every subject,even if you explain you been doing this work your whole life,some will still give you bad info.

Who is "they?"
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator