cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Not unhooking for a night

out_for_a_rip
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone ever not unhook their TT for a quick overnighter? We are planning a trip where we will stop for a quick night to break up the drive and I figured it would be convenient if we grabbed a pull through and didn't unhook. Can you level front to back at all while connected?
44 REPLIES 44

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I leave mine hitched for over nights almost all the time, unless the site is really unlevel front to back.

Regardless, I do all I can to level side-to-side with a board under the tires, as needed. After that, I use the trailer tongue jack to level front to back, provided it's not to extreme. Yes, the rear of the truck will raise up too. Now, if the front has to be lowered much be level front to back, then yes I'll unhook to lower the tongue.

After level front to back and side to side, I still put the jacks down, even hitched so the camper is not so shaky. And besides, my dealer told me it's always best to put the jacks down before extending the slides. I don't have to, but I've never deviated from his advise. So at least, the rear jacks are down before deploying the two rear opposing slides.

We have, on occasion, not deployed any slides. Just crawled in bed and wet to sleep. In those rare occasions, I don't put the jack down.

Basically, it all depends on the campsite, how level it is and how level the trailer sits while hitched to the tow vehicle.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I'll echo what's already been said so many times. I pull in, plug in, drop to tongue jack, and that's it. If I have to raise the tongue too much (or lower it at all) to get the level I need, I will disconnect. Otherwise, I don't even put the stab jacks down - the tongue jack does enough to stabilize for the one night I'm in it.

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
We have stopped several times driving cross-country and never disconnected for a one night stay at campgrounds, Walmarts, and rest areas. Never had the need to level TT as it tows fairly level and never unplug from truck. We may fill water tank, dump waste, etc. but we usually leave early the next morning to continue our trip. We don't want to be clanking around 4 or 5 o'clock in the morning, disturbing other campers around us.

P.S. I would probably forget if I lowered the stabilizers or jack.

Waunacamper
Explorer
Explorer
We do not unhook when stooping for the night. Just did this on way south to Florida. First night in a Walmart parking lot, second night at a KOA where I could fill with water and de-winterize. No connections and do not unplug truck. As long as somewhat level all is good.
2017 ORV Timber Ridge 27BHS
2015 Ram 2500 (6.4/4.10)

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're planning to leave early the next morning before end of the quiet time in a CG, you do not want to be using your electric jacks or making other noise so stay hooked up.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many times , if I am plugged into shore power I see no reason to unplug 7 way ,
I also would not worry about putting a strain on the WDH system , it should certainly take the strain .

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
As bailor said pull the electric connection. Since the Tahoe has an air leveling system which deflates, I also run down the jack and use a block.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
bailer6334 wrote:
The only addition to the above is DO disconnect trailer plug from the tow vehicle,

x2 on this... im usually level front to back with wdh hooked up. i have had to level side to side couple times. hook up shore power and water. not sewer if its just overnight.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
There is a small advantage with my air bags, I can raise or lower the front a few inches. Sometimes a board is helpful for side to side leveling. I never put any jacks down.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
We hardly ever unhook for an overnight stop if the area is reasonably level. I do like to take a little weight off of the truck springs with the trail tongue jack if possible without throwing the trailer too much out of level front to rear. We don't find it necessary to unplug the trailer cord from our truck.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup, we do it all the time on longer trips. Grab some dinner on the road, pull into site (pull throughs are easier), level and throw the stab jacks down, go to bed, wake up and drive the next morning.

Doesn't save a ton of time, but it saves enough unnecessary work to make it worthwhile.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I never unhook on a 1 nighter. Just drive in, connect the electrical (or not as the case may be), roll into bed and sleep. Most of the time the pads are level so don't need to level BUT I would not try to level the TT if hooked up - you may put a lot of unnecessary strain on the TV/hitch.

You may need to disconnect the plug depending on your vehicle.
Gerry

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
The only addition to the above is DO disconnect trailer plug from the tow vehicle,
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can stay hooked up as long as the site is fairly level and you can adjust from front to back a small amount.