cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Range Roamer window problem

ToiTeyza
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a Open Range Roamer 247FLR trailer in Sept 2012 used it 3 times and in May 2013 the window in front on the trailer hitch blew out and landed on the couch in one piece. The manufacturer will not cover it under warrenty, they said a rock must of broken it. I have a picture of the window sitting on the couch with no holes in it. Has anyone else had this problem???????
15 REPLIES 15

hilandfrog
Explorer
Explorer
If I were in your shoes I'd start by finding a name and an E-mail.

Shoot them a pic of that window, your, last phone call experience and ask them if this was their final word or IF they would discuss it with you? Don't forget your phone # and give it a day.
Call that Number after that 24hrs....

We would like to think something better will happen for you.

Repo
05 Tundra 4x4

1977' Road Ranger, Diddums is in action.

PLR67
Explorer
Explorer
ToiTeyza wrote:
There is no cover as it is acutally a window. The logo looks like a solid piece of the trailer when it is actually a window that you can't see threw from the outside but can see threw it when looking out.

Have you tried posting your problem over at OpenRangeForums, I'm sure you will get your problem resolved.
http://www.openrangeowners.com/ORforum/index.php

ToiTeyza
Explorer
Explorer
There is no cover as it is acutally a window. The logo looks like a solid piece of the trailer when it is actually a window that you can't see threw from the outside but can see threw it when looking out.

PLR67
Explorer
Explorer
Questions

How does the panel open and close ? is it on a set of struts ?
Does the cover have a lock ? if so did you make sure that it was locked with the key not just the tabs.
I have a 320RES and the front window has a lock and two tabs to secure it. If you do not lock it with the key the front cover could come loose while in transit and open very easily.

Robby9
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see how a rock could be kicked up that high by the tow vehicle. I suppose it's possible a vehicle in an adjoining lane could have done it; but that seems unlikely.

The questions you might ask are:
1. Upon what evidence do you base your opinion that the damage was done by a rock?
2. What did you do to exclude the possibility that the damage was caused by defective workmanship?
3. What are the symptoms of defective workmanship?
4. How do you tell the difference between defective workmanship and impact damage.

Make them set the standards, then find the evidence to take their knees out.

PS- you might consider recording the call, if that's legal where you live.

schrecker96
Explorer
Explorer
Well that looks like an install issue to me. Unless a BOULDER it I! LOL! But I am no engineer!
2010 Jayco Eagle 313RKS

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
Posting pictures for OP

2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0

ToiTeyza
Explorer
Explorer

ToiTeyza
Explorer
Explorer
how do you add a picture to show window?

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I wonder if the person you talked to didn't fully understand what happened. It sounds to me though like the hole in the trailer might be cut too large.

Is there any sign of damage on the front of the trailer or on the window frame itself?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

PLR67
Explorer
Explorer
ToiTeyza wrote:
We purchased a Open Range Roamer 247FLR trailer in Sept 2012 used it 3 times and in May 2013 the window in front on the trailer hitch blew out and landed on the couch in one piece. The manufacturer will not cover it under warrenty, they said a rock must of broken it. I have a picture of the window sitting on the couch with no holes in it. Has anyone else had this problem???????

Did you call Open Range directly or did you speak with the dealer ? I have an Open Range and have had a few warranty issues, spoke with them directly and had the best customer service experience ever.

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
ToiTeyza wrote:
...in May 2013 the window in front on the trailer hitch blew out and landed on the couch in one piece. The manufacturer will not cover it under warranty, they said a rock must of broken it.

That's ridiculous! I would pursue a better response, even if it means getting a mediator involved.
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
You mean it literally blew "in" the camper and is still one piece?

Not sure how OR can say a rock did it since it's in one piece? The whole frame assembly? Just the glass? Post the pic up and let us see. Very interesting.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Beartoo
Explorer
Explorer
Have you posted this on the Open Range RV Owners forum? Open Range RV Owners Forum.
DH - Bear
DW - Marge
Buster - English Springer Spaniel
Molly - English Springer Spaniel Puppy
07 Silverado 2500HD, Dmax, Allison Trany
Husky 15K
2008 Wildcat 24RL (Old Camper)
2009 Open Range 280 RLS (New)