cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions on air bags for 2015 HD 3500 to carry my Lance 855s

PSUJIM85
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for pros and cons. Dealer said I could use them and they would be great but not totally necessary. What do you think ????
26 REPLIES 26

Bedlam
I have to agree with the above post to try your setup and adjust accordingly. Spring weights vary between models and generations of trucks. My main spring pack must be softer because I need my overloads engaged for the camper to be stable even with an OEM anti-sway bar. Once I have that additional spring weight engaged, mine is steady. Sitting only on the main springs and individually plumbed air bags, I get rocking in and out of driveways. Perhaps I could eliminate more sway with a heavier bar or more rear sag, but I prefer the ride with the overload springs engaged and only a slight sag in the rear from level.

I've tried all the combinations with different bag pressure and upper and lower overloads engaged/disengaged in addition to adjusting shock dampening to find my best ride. Some people will find their sweet spot with few changes and some will never find it until they change trucks.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
Why don't you load the camper and see if you actually need anything before spending the money?

x2,

The pros/cons are going to be about 50/50.

I always had AB's on my 2500HD . They worked well and felt fine. The lines did leak a few times and were replaced. It was always in the back of my mind that I would pop an air line while in the middle of nowhere, but only slow leaks occurred.
It was a PIA to add air. If you choose the AB, install an on-board compressor OR install the air fill valves (one line and valve for each AB ) inside your fuel door or somewhere you can have easy stand up access to adjust the pressure.

Pro: The AB offered me the opportunity to lower the truck to get into a repair shop bay w/o removing the camper.

Pro: If you find you are a little more heavy on one side, then the AB's will keep you level from east/west. Kinda like fine tuning the suspension.

Recently on my 10 yr old truck (70k) I pulled my springs to inspect them for stress cracks . Good thing because I had to replace rusted shackles.
Because I leave the camper on my truck 24/7/365, while I had the springs off the truck being re-arched, I decided to add 2 more leafs on my spring pack on the suggestion of my truck mechanic.
I like the new ride a lot. I can slide thru the twisties now, real nice. I'm very happy having solid steel under me now.
I also previously had TL stableloads on the truck to engage the overload springs. The spring guy said to leave them on .

Hope the info helps, good luck and stay safe ,

Bob

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Why don't you load the camper and see if you actually need anything before spending the money?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without air bags, I do not see how you can eliminate rear sag. The truck must squat for any springs to engage. You can reduce the sag with springs and related, but not eliminate it.

I disagree with the top heavy nature of a TC will cause sway if you are off your overload springs. If improperly inflated the bags might increase sway, but that is the purpose on an anti-sway bar. I base this on personal experience. My 2WD 2500 Dodge has no overload springs, has an anti-sway bar, 19.5 tires and my TC weights 4,200 lbs.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Bedlam
There are other suspensions upgrades you can do that don't require bags. However if you are changing loads between trips, airbags allow you to adjust for variances. I would not completely rely on bags to support your load and suggest you get your stock suspension to engage sooner to prevent sag. The top heavy nature of a TC will cause sway if you are off your overload springs.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

CaveRun
Explorer
Explorer
I have airbags on my F-150 and that was the best money ever spent!... I wouldn't have anything else but airbags!..IMO!

When I load my TC on my truck and load it down with fishing/camping gear, I then hook up my 18' pontoon... The truck squats and I add 60 to 80psi to bring the truck back up to level.

The airbags will hold 100psi, but I've never had to go past 80psi to bring the truck back up to level!

I've had Firestone airbags for 8+ years and haven't had any problems with them!
John 3:16

1996 Hide Away Sun Lite Truck Camper
2003 31' Salem LE Forest River Travel Trailer
2013 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 18 DLX Pontoon
2002 F-150 SuperCab V-8 4X4
Firestone Air Bags
Homemade Tie Down Mounts
Equal-i-zer WD Hitch

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't add a thing till I loaded the TC and make a short trip down the road . Then is the time to add bags or a after markets suspension help to level up IF the rear suspension needs it.

I had to bag one truck when I hauled a TC. It was a one ton DRW 4x4 that sit level unloaded. Adding my 10.5 Fields TC made the squat a couple of inches but it was enough to cause handling issues. I then added bags and fixed the squat and handling. The orher DRW trucks were 2wd models that sit azz end high any way. My TCs simply made the 2wd trucks level .
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
X2 with what Reddog1 said. I would go ahead and get the in cab controller if and when you purchase the bags.
Bill and Debbie
2007.5 SILVERADO HD DA CREWCAB LTZ 4X4 ARE CAP
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
I added Air Lift bags on the rear of my '05 Chevy 3500 SRW when I had a bumper pull TT. Seems the tongue wt. was 1400# plus 1000# in the bed. Bags eliminated most of the bounce and had a few inches of leveling adjustment. Without the load, the truck seemed to ride better too. You could also benefit by having a minor amount of front/back and left/right leveling. Don't mess with the auto-leveling addition...My pump malfunctioned and pumped one side to 100psi...almost had an accident.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw your topic line! I wouldn't buy them if you don't need them.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of truck do you have?
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally, I prefer to have them. It can be argued they are not needed, but that depends on your expectations. I prefer to raise the rear of my truck up after it squats its 2-3 inches after loading the TC. It aims the headlights where they should be. I can use them to level the TC when camping. I can also adjust the ride comfort to a great degree, empty or loaded. No fixed suspension can do those things.

To really take advantage of their value, you have to experiment with the air pressure on your particular rig. I definitely plumb bags separately, with the filler valves under the dash on the driver side. I eventually added an in-cab controller to mine.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke