cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outdoor rug

petey42
Explorer
Explorer
This first time camper would like to know what you folks prefer as a rug/carpet to put outside your camper door, I'm thinking about 7x10?
I have looked at a fold up plastic woven type at Walmart, and just a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet. Any other suggestions or comments?
37 REPLIES 37

Bryannamie
Explorer
Explorer
Our tt we just got came with an awning mat so that is what we will be using now but with the pop up we went to menards and got the marine in out carpet, they have several colors and a 12 foot by 6 was like $30. Best part after hosing it off the water pours right out and is dry within 10 mins.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
boosTT wrote:
Don't cheap out. Get a real RV mat. There is a huge difference.

Using shade cloth is by far NOT being cheap. If you RV a lot or full time like myself you would find that the RV mat starts fading, shredding and deteriorating quite quickly. Water can not easily go thru it when it rains and actually in a down pour will get up and float away! Not to mention when it gets wet people slip and fall on it. And again where and how to store the filthy wet thing when you leave. Just saying.

It DOES matter HOW you RV when discussing RV products in general.

If you go out once a week or once a year some of the RV items will do you just fine. The longer or more often you RV you tend to figure out which RV gimmick products works and which ones don't. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
Don't cheap out. Get a real RV mat. There is a huge difference.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
While I have several mats, I havenโ€™t always been completely satisfied with them and have had some start chafing after one seasonโ€ฆ so while I have them and use them, I have always preferred my shade clothโ€ฆ I stooped recommending it because there seemed to be very few interested in itโ€ฆ and itโ€™s light weight can be a problem sometimesโ€ฆ I used the smoke blue shade cloth, in 70%... it seems to be just right for meโ€ฆ 60% to 70%. Is good and for the best cloth make sure it is knitted, not wovenโ€ฆ
you can maybe find for less on other sites, this one is $1.50 for 6' unfinished.
search shade cloth for many other places that have it. But I find this place reasonable and good to deal with

70% smoke blue shade cloth

you can buy it off the rolls up to 24 foot wide in unfinished sizes, or they will custom make anything you wantโ€ฆ

this stuff is indestructible (except by heat)(donโ€™t ask how I know), yet can be made into anything sewn with any home machineโ€ฆ

Old post
Posted: 11/08/06 10:48pm
many CG DO NOT ALLOW ASTRO TURF, the mats mentioned are nice and work well, but are not cheap and don't last but a couple of years.
if you want something that is durable, easy to clean, very light-weight and is inexpensive. go to Lowe's or HD and in the garden dept. look for shade cloth. it comes in colors and is 6 foot wide and can be bought in any length you want. you can sew two pieces together with any machine to make it wider, and buy a extra piece to make a matching sun screen for your awning. the last time I bought it the cost was around $1.20 per foot. it will last two to three times longer than the RV mats also. I just use a 6 foot wide piece by 25 foot, I hemmed the two ends (the long sides don't need hemmed) and put grommets on it for under thirty dollars. made a matching shade screen for the awning for under twenty-five dollars. if a storm comes up I can roll the sun screen up with the awning without removing it.

TIP: for very easy storage of the shade cloth...
use a 3/4" piece of plastic pipe and just roll the cloth up on the pipe and unroll at the next location.
it can then be stored in the bumper (I don't use the bumper for the sewer hose) or on the bumper with a couple of ball bungee's.

TIP: paint the inside of your bumper with rust preventing paint.
tie a absorbent rag in the center of a rope so that each end of the rope is long enough to reach through the bumper. soak the rag in the rust preventing paint and pull it back and forth through the bumper until it is well coated (usually three coats). no rust stains on items stored in there.
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
You have to also think about storing an RV mat when you are ready to pack up and leave.

I found all the RV mats are heavy and even heavy when wet. Stuff happens and when it rains and you have to leave you are now stuffing a stinky heavy wet mat into your RV.

I buy shade cloth material. It's sold by the length at at the box stores. It is not dangerously slippery like those woven mats, water goes right thru and the BEST part? It dries in seconds, and folds up into a 12 inch square for storage.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
No one mentioned it but the indoor/outdoor mat when rolled up wet and allowed to sit will stink pretty darned quick. Another reason to forego this and get the woven polypropylene (or whatever it is) outdoor rug.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 8x16 woven polypropylene. I would never own anything else again.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Aluminum_Siding
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention. Bring a broom and you can sweep it like no other rug. It'll be spotless in just a couple of minutes.

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
As everyone has suggested, the plastic ones are the best. Get one that is closest to the size of your awning. It will keep your TT cleaner as less stuff will get tracked in. I roll mine up after sweeping and use a bungee to keep it easy to handle. I then throw it in the back of the pickup. It does dry fast.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Indoor/ outdoor carpet is disgusting when wet hard to dry and almost impossible to cleanโ€ฆ and that is the pros for itโ€ฆ

The cons are it will kill the grass in just a few days making the area muddy or dusty for the others that followโ€ฆ
It should be forbidden to use on any area that has grass and is the cause for rules against the use of anything in many places alreadyโ€ฆ

If you want or need ground cover the woven plastic mats allow air, sunlight, and water to pass threw to at least minimize permanent damage to grassโ€ฆ
They also donโ€™t hold dirt, dry quickly, and are easily cleanedโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
We have a 9 X 12 that we purchased at Walmart 6 years ago for $45. We got a new one this year, on sale at Walmart for $40 because the old one was looking tired and worn.

The woven ones are the way to go. We had the indoor/outdoor for years, then went with the imitation grass. Went with the woven and will never have either of the previous.

Works for us.

X2 ...getting another one before heading to the lake so entire awning area is covered.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Aluminum_Siding
Explorer
Explorer
Big 10:4 for the woven plastic. My awning is 19' by about 8' so I ordered the 20x8. Love love love it. Shake it off and hose it top and bottom on the lawn after each trip. We have little kids so it's an awesome play area for them.

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the plastic woven rug from Walmart, $50. We have the 9'x12' rug and we actually bought a second one for the outdoor kitchen area on our TT. It dries quick and cleans easily. Had indoor/outdoor rug and will never do that again.
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 9 X 12 that we purchased at Walmart 6 years ago for $45. We got a new one this year, on sale at Walmart for $40 because the old one was looking tired and worn.

The woven ones are the way to go. We had the indoor/outdoor for years, then went with the imitation grass. Went with the woven and will never have either of the previous.

Works for us.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We have different size mats for different situations. The purpose of ours is to keep us from tracking in the outside stuff.