cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overweight Again....

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finally took down the old brick front steps and decided to save a few bucks and haul the bricks to the dump myself. Took out the 3rd row seat and proceeded to pile in the old bricks and concrete debris. Piled 'em up about 2/3 of the way to the headliner. Truck was sitting level in the rear so I knew I had a load in it.

Scale at the dump said 8780, or 180 lbs over GVWR. Honestly, it drove great. I know the scale was good, on the way out I was 6860, consistent with other times I've weighed the burb with just me and a full tank.

Was the most exciting thing I did today, thought I would post and give the weight police something to natter about. :B
26 REPLIES 26

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
"Nyah! I overloaded my truck by 180lbs and drove it 10 minutes down the road. Nyah!"

Ok, now overload it by 700lbs and drive it 10000 miles. Then come back and tell us how you made out. Why? Because that's much more typical of how you'd overload a 2500 truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Add the sudden deceleration from an accident...that will be greater than anything a vehicles brakes can muster...

The chairs were not designed to hold back that amount if weight during an accident and would just bend over

I've done similar (+3,000 wood pellets in both my half ton and Sub listed in my signature) and most likely do it again...just saying the risk should be known in order to make those risk decisions...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
Glad you didn't have to make an sudden emergency stop......all those flying bricks sure would have made a mess inside that Burb and against the back of your head

funniest thought so far. Beat me to it. :B

You don't make sudden emergency stops with that kind of a load. Just stopping at some point would be good. ๐Ÿ™‚
Puma 30RKSS

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
routeforty wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
IS THAT ALL!

I was at 11,xxx coming out of a scale a year or so ago in my 2000 C2500.......drove not quite right......but, I got back to job site....

I weigh in truck about 5300-5400 lbs or so. 4800 literally empty! no rack etc.

Marty
This self admitted blatant lawlessness and you're still permitted to be a moderator???:E :B

Who.said I was illegal? The REAL weight police here in Washington st would allow me upwards of 19000 lbs properly distributed before getting an overweight citation, assuming I have a paid for 20k gvw plate. I would get a citation or two due to other violations, but from an over weight standpoint. NOT!

Marty
Good thing you responded quickly. I had gotten my weight police uniform out of the closet-it needed some alterations, I guess it had shrunk some(I surely didn't put on any pounds:E DW hadn't finished adding a few inches to the waistline. So now I don't have to make the trip to Washington. So you've dodged the online weight police-now if I can just dodge the 'waist' police.:D Gary
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boy not much has changed here, you guys are easily entertained....LOL!

Have more bricks to take out this week, so will be sure to get the weigh slip and let you know how I did.

For those interested, the bricks were not piled higher than the top of the back seat, so had I stopped short I doubt I would have gotten hit with a flying brick. That assumes, of course, that I even COULD stop short being so overloaded and all.....if anybody wants advance notice of dates/roads/routes of my next overloaded trip so you can keep your loved ones clear, just PM me....

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
I had a skid loader put 2 buckets (not 5 gallon buckets :)) of river rock in my truck this summer.
It didnt feel heavy. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

intheChateau
Explorer
Explorer
Overloaded? That's not overloaded. How about a C2500 with 18' trailer coming off the scales with a load of stone at 17,500. Poor beater truck only had a 305 in it but hey, with proper technique, upgraded suspension on truck and trailer, sway bars and WD hitch I got it 2 miles down the road to the driveway.......and nobody died.
1998 K1500 Silverado with 3" lift
2006 Mercury Mariner (wife's ride)
1999 Harley Ultra Classic

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The 2500 Chevy Surburbans are sought after here in PA, because some types of businesses can stuff them to the roof, pay the same for tags as a car, and be perfectly legal. Don't ask me how I know.

blt2ski
routeforty wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
IS THAT ALL!

I was at 11,xxx coming out of a scale a year or so ago in my 2000 C2500.......drove not quite right......but, I got back to job site....

Marty
This self admitted blatant lawlessness and you're still permitted to be a moderator???:E :B

Who.said I was illegal? The REAL weight police here in Washington st would allow me upwards of 19000 lbs properly distributed before getting an overweight citation, assuming I have a paid for 20k gvw plate. I would get a citation or two due to other violations, but from an over weight standpoint. NOT!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
For a short low speed back road move we stacked 46 hale bales plus me & helper for 1,200 over gvwr & 400 or a little over 5 percent over combined axle rating. Had enough air in the bags the truck still drove with a slight rake. And no animals were harmed in the non filming of this event.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
My and Don's 3/4 ton Suburban's have the same 6,000 GAWR rear axle as the 1 ton dually of the same year...difference is in the brakes

Understand, as mine is a ditto with stuff loaded up to the gills...not bricks though...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I hauled 3 yards of stone dust in the back of my Avalanche - 1/2 a yard at at time (thankfully the stone place is close to my house). 1/2 yard weighs about 1,300 lbs. and I could definitely feel it. The load leveling pump ran for a bit and gave up. Service Suspension System message still hasn't cleared...
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
IS THAT ALL!

Marty
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you didn't have to make an sudden emergency stop......all those flying bricks sure would have made a mess inside that Burb and against the back of your head

funniest thought so far. Beat me to it. :B