cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwhelmingly BIO-diesel in Portland, Oregon

ParkCountry
Explorer
Explorer
We're now in Portland, Oregon, having spent the past few days in Bend, Oregon. One thing I have really, really noticed here is the difficulty in finding PURE DIESEL. Just be aware that most stations that carry Diesel here will be a mixture of between 5% and 20% BIO-diesel. If you get on the GasBuddy.com website and try finding the cheapest diesel, the cheaper/cheapest listings will be Bio-diesel. Where some stations are charging ss low as $2.19/gallon, I finally found a Chevron station in Troutdale (just east of Portland) at the I-84, Exit 17, location that sells PURE diesel ($2.59/gallon). Just look for the huge Love's Travel Stop and this Chevron station is right next to it on the west side. I have nothing but contempt for the "environmentalists" and the Federal government for pulling this **** on the American public. We are headed for the Oregon Coast in 2 days. Does anyone know if the same problem exists out there, and suggested stations for PURE Diesel?
78 REPLIES 78

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
That article is from 2006 - only a year into his running of biodiesel. Hopefully he's still doing it and having good results, but truth and full disclosure in news publishing is important.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a pretty good article about a guy who runs 20% biodiesel in his fleet and has been running biodiesel since 2005 with positive results. Just another perspective.

http://www.worktruckonline.com/article/story/2006/05/what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-biodiesel-vs-diesel.aspx
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
Scratch that place off my list of places to visit

I'm sure all of Oregon is trembling with the mere thought of the ramifications. Be sure to go AROUND Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois as well. Oregon isn't the only place where biodiesel is the norm.

yup, I keeps the campgrounds from being crowded, some of the best in the country. And the B5 gives me much increased lubricity in the fuel with no change in BTU/gallon. Saves on adding lubricity additives. I think I'll stay in Oregon.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
hotpepperkid wrote:

I'm sure all of Oregon is trembling with the mere thought of the ramifications. Be sure to go AROUND Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois as well. Oregon isn't the only place where biodiesel is the norm.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
dennis1 wrote:
Fred Meyer diesel is not bio. Shell is bio. Warrenton near Astoria and close to Fort Stevens State park has a Fred Meyers.By the way you can pump your own diesel in Oregon. Safeway is bio. Oregon coast Newport has a Fred Meyers. There are two Fred Meyers on Highway 26. One in Sandy, on in Gresham. If you go to Sandy Oregon stop a Joe's Donut. Best donuts you can buy, better than Krisppy Cream.

I'll repeat again. ALL road diesel in oregon is at least 5% Bio. doesn't make any difference on where you buy it.

here is info from the state

All diesel fuel sold in the state must be blended with at least 5% biodiesel (B5). For the purpose of this mandate, biodiesel is defined as a motor vehicle fuel derived from vegetable oil, animal fat, or other non-petroleum resources, that is designated as B100 and complies with ASTM specification D6751.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerhead wrote:
B20 is not exempt from road taxes unless that has changed since we moved out of there in 2015. I used to run B5 to B99 depending on the time of year. The only pump I saw with B100 was on US30 was clearly marked as off-road only and it was much cheaper than the B99 pump right next to it.

Oregon used to have a 5 cent/gallon income tax credit for B99 a few years ago.

ktmrfs wrote:

in oregon the "up to B20" can be up to, but the way to tell if it is B20 or less is to see if it is exempt from road tax. If it is B20 it is exempt, if less it is not. Pretty obvious since it is then usually $.25 less than the B5

It is exempt from state road tax. from odot

During the 2013 Regular Session, the Oregon Legislature passed House Bill 2435. In part, HB 2435 amends Oregon
Revised Statute 319.530 by exempting diesel fuel that is blended with a minimum of 20 percent biodiesel from excise tax.

That's one reason why B20 is usually 25 cents less than b5

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line, burning stuff--fossil, bio, whatever--to produce energy is going the way of the dodo bird and the buggy whip.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
changing your diet might be a far more important thing to do for you grandchildren's planet than trying keep your truck from getting gunked up running bio. There is far bigger more important things we can do to both minimize pollution and in other ways to keep a "greener" planet. Coal, oil, & natural gas just get used as a scapegoat for accomplishing political objectives. For an interesting informative & even entertaining movie check out Cowspiracy on Netflicks.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Tyler0215 wrote:
Politics aside please. The science is there.
Bio-diesel or ethanol blends have been proven to not harm engines or components.
I have used ethanol blends in all my vehicles for many years with no problems at all.

Might be true for Bio-Diesel, however ethanol blends in just a Kansas corn farmer benefit. Cost more in dino oil to raise the corn than it saves. Think Big Ag! Chris

No..... Think MTBE and why ethanol replaced it.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Hammerhead
Explorer
Explorer
B20 is not exempt from road taxes unless that has changed since we moved out of there in 2015. I used to run B5 to B99 depending on the time of year. The only pump I saw with B100 was on US30 was clearly marked as off-road only and it was much cheaper than the B99 pump right next to it.

Oregon used to have a 5 cent/gallon income tax credit for B99 a few years ago.

ktmrfs wrote:

in oregon the "up to B20" can be up to, but the way to tell if it is B20 or less is to see if it is exempt from road tax. If it is B20 it is exempt, if less it is not. Pretty obvious since it is then usually $.25 less than the B5

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tyler0215 wrote:
Politics aside please. The science is there.
Bio-diesel or ethanol blends have been proven to not harm engines or components.
I have used ethanol blends in all my vehicles for many years with no problems at all.

Might be true for Bio-Diesel, however ethanol blends in just a Kansas corn farmer benefit. Cost more in dino oil to raise the corn than it saves. Think Big Ag! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
See if you stop at Joes donuts and get a donut and fill up with used donut frying oil everyone will be happy. I personally dont care what blend it is and have never had a problem with dsl fuel of any blend. Cant do anything about it so why worry.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Good read. Thank you SBradely.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln