cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pros/cons seasonal site

waltah
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I were thinking about buying a seasonal site for this summer for our TT. While we like to travel, we think we would get more use out of having it parked and setup already. If we want to go elsewhere, we simply go and pick it up.

Right now I store our TT on base and have to pick it up and drop it off when im not using it. This means emptying out the fridge and other perishables and dragging it back and forth from home to the base when we want to get ready for a trip.

All signs point to havign it parked and setup at a site would save us a lot of time where we could just get right to camping. When we make reservations elsewhere, we simply pick it up and tow to the destination.

Are there any negatives i would be missing by having a seasonal site? Prices seem reasonable (between 1200-2000 from april til october) with metered electric at some.
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH
1997 Fleetwood Wilderness M29S (sold)
2013 EcoBoost 4x4 XLT SCREW: 157"wb, Max Tow, 3.73 E-locker (1800#Payload/7700#GVWR/11,100#Max trailer): 5star tuned
23 REPLIES 23

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
We have our camper permanently stationed at a campground four hours south of us in Valdosta, GA. We have a son who lives there, and it's SO nice to be able to get there and not have to load/haul the camper to that campground after work for a weekend when we visit him monthly. It's also on the way (sort of) to many of the campgrounds we like to camp at in FL, so it's not a problem to pick it up and continue on to another destination. It saves us gas money not having to tow the camper as far, as well as time, since we drive faster when not towing.

A drawback is that we now cannot easily camp in the mountains a little north of us. In a perfect world, we'd love to have two campers; one to keep in Valdosta, and another one to take camping to non-FL destinations. Maybe eventually...
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
You may be the exception but inertia says you will set up and never hook up and take trips away from that campground.

We know a several couples who said the same thing you are and the rigs never move again, the sites gradually become more and more permantent making it less and less likely they will hook up for a weekend trip.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it (our friends who have done it generally like it) but you would be the exception if you got a permanent site and still traveled regularly in the RV.

As far as general issues:
- Assuming it's mostly permanent sites, it's really easy to get pulled into camp personal drama.
- Do you have to maintain the site (mow the lawn, rake the leaves, etc..) Not a huge issue but eats into that time savings not having to go pick up the RV.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Baja937 wrote:
AND, we know every other camper in the campground!!!..

Which some may consider to be the single biggest drawback to seasonal camping ... a lot of us instead prefer the anonymity offered by camping in a different location each time we go out. We can still camp with friends from time to time, as the occasion may arise, but most of the time enjoy our time on our own, without having to feel like everyone else in the park is monitoring our every move.

To the OP, one issue we've run into when considering seasonal camping is whether we can in fact pull the camper out mid season from time to time for trips elsewhere. While this may not be common where you're looking there are parks here in S Ontario where I am that don't allow this - trailer goes in at the beginning of the season and must stay all season, which for us would be a non-starter. We're also beginning to see what are called "pad fees", meaning a huge deposit up front, say $10,000, plus the usual annual fees ... again, for us that's something I just wouldn't agree to.

Typically here in S Ontario an average seasonal fee could be between $2000 and $3000 and even at a ridiculous $50 per night campsite fee that one can pay here in the Ontario provincial park system that's still an awful lot of nights of camping before getting ahead on even a $2000 investment in a seasonal site. Some of that of course would be offset by reduced fuel costs as we'd not be towing the trailer but it still takes a lot of nights to offset that seasonal site fee which usually has to be paid upfront.

Hard to say ... some love it, some wouldn't be caught dead in a seasonal park. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't found the right campsite that we would want to spend all summer at. One campground in particular we've always had a great time at, the other campers are wonderful people - but the campground itself is kinda boring. A few other campgrounds that had beautiful grounds and/or a great location always seemed to have negatives, many times being the other seasonal people there.

So, we're still exploring!

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the biggest argument people make is not wanting to go to the same place all the time, being mobile.

I have a seasonal site 900 miles from home that I've had for years, and will never give up. I love the area and don't have to worry about getting a site. I keep a large TT there that I would not want to pull around.

I keep another rv for trips so I don't have to exclusively go there.

Make sure you like the place and the people.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
An RV on a seasonal site is like an inexpensive vacation home for many. You use it frequently and get to know the neighborhood. Another benefit is fuel, not having to tow it every "vacation", even taking more fuel efficient vehicle.

It's just not for us. There are few places I want to visit more than once a year. We like the variety.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Baja937
Explorer
Explorer
I have a permanent spot on Leesville Lake in Ohio..Late March through Early November..Crappie and Musky fishing people here..

I have to move it about 1,000 feet to higher ground for the winter, but that's easy..

There's not one negative thing I can think of..It's perfect for us..Not interested in traveling to different campgrounds, especially State Parks..

On the other hand, I can think of numerous positives..

No packing and unpacking every trip..I take a smaller cooler back and forth and a laundry basket..Big cooler stays because it's always full of Beer..

No mileage on tires..No beating the trailer up with rough roads..I'm convinced this is why I've had ZERO problems with the trailer..

Boats in water at the dock...We get there, extend the 2 awnings, start a fire of which I have a ton of wood sitting on site, and we hit the water in the boat..

AND, we know every other camper in the campground!!!..Some stay all summer which is nice because everyone looks out for each other..Security..It's why we leave alot of stuff set up when we leave..

Cover the boat, retract the awnings and "See Ya'll Next Week"!!!

waltah
Explorer
Explorer
I meant rent, yes. We are thinking the same thing, with it being setup we will get out and use it more rather than just the trips we plan. Just wondering if we are missing anything that would be considered a negative to doing this.
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH
1997 Fleetwood Wilderness M29S (sold)
2013 EcoBoost 4x4 XLT SCREW: 157"wb, Max Tow, 3.73 E-locker (1800#Payload/7700#GVWR/11,100#Max trailer): 5star tuned

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy? I am thinking you meant rent.
I rent a summer site in the Thousand Islands and a winter site in Arizona. The luxury of going up after work (before retirement) was great. Everything ready it saved time and we actually used it more
Would I buy a space like they where advertising in Parish a few years age DEFINITELY NOT.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!