cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pushing the limits on tow vehicles

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
On my way to go camping in Hagerstown md , I was going up one of the small mountains pulling my camper and in the slow lane was a Ford expedition pulling the same model I have. A sunsetcreek 30 ft 10 k gross weight . He had 3 kids , 2 adults ,a dog , he was barely going 30 up the hill , I was behind him for about 5 minutes before I got around him going up the hill . ( I have a v 10 excursion) . He ended up at the same campground about 45 minutes later . The next day I stopped by his camper and asked him how was his trip getting there . He said scary , he bought it a month ago from a dealer who said his expedition could pull it no problem . He said the trailer is only 7300 lbs . I told him thats right .....EMPTY , not loaded with bikes, water food etc , You are closer to 9000 lbs . Its his first time camping . We looked at the specs on the door , it had the small v8 and the max towing was 5000 lbs . He decided to call a friend of his to tow it home with a 3/4 ton truck .
45 REPLIES 45

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Caveat Emptor

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

patricks99
Explorer
Explorer
Feel for that guy who had to have a buddy come pick up his TT. I was lucky when looking for a tow vehicle for our 26ft wilderness (bought it first then picked out the tow vehicle) My friends who have TT all are retentive about having too much truck than having just enough or too little.

I ended up getting a 05' silverado 2500 with the 6.6 duramax, tows like a dream, hadly notice it back there.

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
youwillforget wrote:
60 days ago I bought a 1997 C3500 with the 7.4L 454 I am now confident I can pull my Harbor Freight 48"X42" utility trailer fully loaded. I should look into trailer brakes though.

Don't forget helper springs for the rear, dual exhaust, Cold Air intake. Oversize stacked plate transmission cooler in the 30k range would be wise also.

And of course a W/D hitch with your favorite sway control.
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

Hawk7
Explorer
Explorer
SprinklerMan,
Thank you for stopping to talk to this man. You may have saved his life and that of his family! I'm local to Hagerstown and have towed through Sideling Hill on I-68. My stomach dropped when I read your post thinking about this situation. I'm glad you explained how serious his situation is and that he's getting a friend to tow him home.

Barb
2015 Skyline Dart 214BH Traded in for 2016.5 Skyline Javelin 285rb
2011 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost Super Crew

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
A local CW salesman was trying to sell me a bigger trailer! Even though I am below my "Tow Rating", NO WAY that I can pull a bigger camper. He even said I could pull it empty until I get a bigger truck.

I thought that this post was about someone like me. But even I can pull 60 through some decent grades, EGTs at 1300.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
And yet so many complain when they perceive a "weight police" post.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
How do these dealers get away with this? They're clearly endangering the lives of the people they sell these seriously overweight trailers to along with the lives of people sharing the road with these trailers.

My truck dealer and trailer dealer were both forthcoming and honest as to what I could tow.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Even the dry weight exceeded the tow rating.
Dealer may have given bad advice... and the buyer needs to be a little more aware also.

The small engine limiting speed to 30mph was probably a good thing.

youwillforget
Explorer
Explorer
60 days ago I bought a 1997 C3500 with the 7.4L 454 I am now confident I can pull my Harbor Freight 48"X42" utility trailer fully loaded. I should look into trailer brakes though.

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
Hang around long enough and you will find that if you add air bags to your 1500/f150 they transform it into a 3500/f350 dually..........

JordanH
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thats they worst with most dealers, they want to sell it to you safe or not. I was at a dealer with a friend, he has a 2014 silver ado 1500, The dealer began showing him the largest models all while reassuring he could tow it no problem.
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
2001 Dutchmen Sport 25f
2010 Honda EU3000iS
2008 Summit x 800r
2008 Outlander 800XT
2003 HD Heritage Softail
2012 Lund WC-14 with 2013 Evinrude 15hp
1994 Ford Mustang V6
2014 Nights camping: 10

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Let the buyer beware....unfortunately, excitement, emotion and the anticipation of great times with family and friends gets in the way. Not to mention the sales person who usually hasn't a clue. Gotta do your homework first and DO NOT under any circumstances set foot in a trailer that doesn't qualify, because that's the one you'll think you can't live another day without.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I feel bad for people who are in situations like this...it could almost be classified as fraud on the dealer's part.

BUT, as consumers, we have a part in it too. We are responsible for doing careful and proper research before making these kinds of financial and safety decisions.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe buyers should start asking the dealer/salesperson to put it in writing?

I wonder if they will change their story? 🙂

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, how often do we hear that refrain "your X will pull this trailer fine"

Really scary what you see on the road, like a Porsche pulling a 15 ft AirStream, or a Toyota PU pulling a 30 ft 5e, or a Dolphin (Toyota based MH) pulling a 12 ft Wells-Cargo, loaded, full.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.