cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting the kids on the floor???

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We've really enjoyed our 15BH. It's tiny, and we haven't minded. Local weekends and short trips are fine. It was a little cramped for our 42 day trip this past summer, but not miserable.

That said, we are ready to move up a bit in size. We really like the 22RB models with U dinette slide-out.

I feel like the bunks have more cons than pros. First, the kids are growing like weeds and already touch the walls head to toe (they're only 10). Second, the bunks are wasted space when not sleeping, and in a smallish trailer, that's a large portion of real estate. Lastly, as the kids get older, they like sleeping on the couch and floor, even when home.

So here's the question: What do you think about a family of 4 buying a trailer with no beds for kids? I'm thinking that with a slide out dinette, there is enough floor space for kids in sleeping bags. If the weather is ideal, they might even be in a tent. We could always fall back on converting the dinette if they had to have it.

Why? because the floor-plans have such better living space without bunks, and I can see that we're 7-8 years from not having the kids all the time.

Anyone out there putting the kids on the floor? How's it working for you?
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
62 REPLIES 62

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
In about 2 years they'll be saying the don't want to go camping with you anymore - they don't like camping. And I wouldn't blame them. I'd say the same thing if you made me sleep on the floor. You asked for opinions - I think it is Just Wrong!

So in 2 years when they tell you they hate camping, you won't have to wonder why.

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer
We went thru the same decision process years ago. Kids hated how tight the bunks had become, and we decided to go for more living space and no bunks. Kids slept in a tent, on the floor or the jackknife couch. When we wanted to get up we either grabbed our coffee and went outside, or woke the kids and had them move to our bed.

Worked well for years. Now we have grandkids and no bunks - we handle it the same way.
Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just something to think about, if the kids are sleeping on the dinette or sofa, that means that parents can't use the dinette or sofa until the kids wake up. Then all the bedding materials need to be picked up and stored somewhere before you can use them.

I'm lazy, I don't like all that extra work...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

getontheroad
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
Kids belong on the floor. They should also be seen and not heard. At least that's what my English mother told me when I was a kid. Can you see where I'm coming from LOL?

I think I know where you are coming from....we all think we have the perfect child. We camp with a lot of family. There is 6-9 camps set up on normal weekend. We all have kids the in same age groups ranging from 5-20 years old. This can make for some serious mischief, and it does as a lot of the older kids stay in tents. My rule is not until your 18. I was the mean mom.
Just us
(Me, the honey, 3 kids, and furbaby)
Happy in North Dakota

2008 Ford F350 Supercrew V10
2014 Montana mountaineer 310RET
2006 Ford F150

gerriec
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Coleman 19.5 with dinette slide. No couch, just a large dinette and our queen bed. Our two granddaughters don't like sleeping together. Tried the sheets made for the dinette first time out in it, way too much trouble. We bought 3 inch memory foam. Cut to make a dinette mattress and one for the floor. We put the sheets on and they stay on. In the morning, they just roll up the memory foam and tie with a bungee cord and they go on our bed. Very quick. At night, just roll them out and lie blanket across. They are very happy with the sleeping arrangements. And, there is plenty of room for us to go past the granddaughter on the floor to get to the bathroom and work in the kitchen. Works good for us!

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
We sleep 5 (6 if Auntie is along) in our 180ck. We have conversion from day to night down to a science. Daytime and travel suitcases and sleep stuff bags live in the bunk (I installed a bed rail to keep it all there), sleeping bags and pillows live under the couch. At night, the table which is on a wall mounted hinge converts in a couple seconds, as does the jackknife couch. Sleeping bags and sleep stuff bags come out, kids suitcases go under the table, ours go to the bath tub. Total process takes maybe 10 minutes. We like to sit in bed and read or play games a bit after turning off the lights in the rest of the trailer, or often times we are just as tired and go to sleep too!

When younger I went on a trip with 6 of us in a 9ft TC. Talk about tight! Some nights a couple of us slept in a tent, others we stuffed anywhere we could. We were camping and making memories, didn't matter if someone was on the floor once in a while. Compared to the VW bus, and then TC I grew up in, our 180ck is a mansion! 🙂
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS 😛 2007, DD :C 2008

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
We have weight police and dog police, but apparently, you can do as you wish with your kids!

Ok, now that's funny!

I have to admit that it seems strange to me to put your kids on the floor, but my kids always sleep on their beds, never the floor or couch.

My oldest is 5'5" at 12 and has grown about 5" in the past 6 months, so I know what you mean about growing like weeds. We got lucky that our bunks don't max out until over 250#, I've seen some that max out at 100#. Now what's the point of that? Also, my 6 foot tall nephew stayed with us last summer and he fit on the bunk just fine, so I'm thinking we're good for a few more years.

You could also go longer and that might give you more options as far as bunks go. But, if your kids don't mind, then why bother.
I love my bunkhouse and the fact that there is no conversion every night and morning. We typically eat and stay outside most of the time, however, the mornings seem to be cool and wet and we almost always eat breakfast inside. When kids slept on the couch and table, the morning conversion made us eat outside on cold wet picnic tables or quickly fold up all the beds. Neither of those options were ideal. We did that for a year and it got tiresome quickly. We searched out a model with permanent beds. My kids will wake up and play their devices and read in their room together before coming out to eat. In fact, I just got them a tv/dvd combo for their bunk room as a Christmas gift. You can tell we use the bunkhouse a lot, but each family is different and if you won't use it, then go a different route.

Your boys are old enough to put in their opinion as well and you might want to take that into consideration. Your trips aren't just the weekend warrior trips. Even at 12, I think it would have put a damper on my amazing trip if my only option was to sleep on an inflatable mattress on the floor for 42 days. Just a thought.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a bachelor with a 22 foot Rear Bath, no slide, TT. I sometimes take my nieces and/or nephews out camping. They sleep on the floor just fine. And, they have also slept in a tent. I've had up too 3 adults and 3 kids on the floor in the TT at one time. It works fine for sleeping like that. Then when we wake up we take turns being outside.

Instead of a air mattress I just have 2 inches of the memory foam rubber (mattress topper) that I lay down on the floor for kids. It's easy to roll up and store.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. I'm surprised at the responses that are in my same line of thinking. I thought I was going to be chastised. We have weight police and dog police, but apparently, you can do as you wish with your kids! 🙂 LOL

They've had 3 seasons in bunks, and it has worked really well. They love them. They used the bunk almost like a bedroom, for not only sleeping, but reading, playing, etc. However, they don't play the same way anymore, and they are big enough that the bunk is sized like a coffin now.

I love the suggestion of air mattresses that get thrown on our bed. I also agree that if they get old enough to complain, they are old enough to resolve the problem themselves. You want a bed? You make the dinette (or tent). Oh, and you have to wait until I go to bed. I also step on you in the morning and offer you my spot in the bed.

There will be times (most) that the weather is so nice that all of our sitting and eating is outside, leaving the dinette as a bed 24/7.

Just last night, I woke up and they slept on the floor in our house. I remember doing the same.

It would be nice if this were our last trailer before "THE" retirement RV. It will have to make about 12 years for that. So we will finish with the kids and still use as a 2 person trailer for a number of years.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Our kids loved the bunks growing up - each had their "own" bed. Kids on the floor, at least in our 21ft TT, would totally be in the way of doing anything in the camper.

Kids no longer camp with us, but wife and I use the bunks all the time as extra storage / shelves. And they are there if the kids or friends need a spot.

Whatever works for you!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
old guy wrote:
buy a TT with a sofa bed and the dinette will also sleep two if necessary.
What I was going to say - you can add air mattresses as necessary.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We usually take our oldest grandkids with us for their summer vacation. They draw straws to see who MUST sleep on the couch. The other one gets to sleep on the floor. We finally bought an inflatable mattress for the floor sleeper. When we get up, the inflatable is simply put on our bed for the day.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've never known a kid that couldn't sleep on a floor just as easily as on a bed. I say, if you don't like the bunks, don't buy the bunks.

Like the others have said, they can use a tent as allowed/desired. If one or more wants to sleep on a 'bed', then they are old enough to convert the dinette and/or sofa at bedtime and in the morning before breakfast. Using sleeping bags makes the transition extremely easy.

Also, letting them use a tent will allow them to bring friends without worrying about the extra bodies.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
When our kids were little, we had them sleeping on the floor, then they graduated to sleeping outside in tents. DW was scared that they might be carried off by a bear, but I wasn't too worried. Anyone ever sleep in the same RV with a few 16 year old girls, rattling on about Justin Bieber - will make you a tent convert in a minute!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Our most common request for campsites is it OK and is there room for a teenagers tent. Good for the whole family!