cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quality camper

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for a well made truck camper for a 3/4 ton 8' bed truck. Not looking for the bells & whistles you see, looking for the built in ones. What do you guys say?
25 REPLIES 25

BillL1356
Explorer
Explorer
Nice review of the Northstar Laredo by Truck Camper Adventure. Seems to tick most of your wants:

Laredo TC review

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
As suggested earlier, take a look at Wolf Creek manufactured by Northwood in the same plant as Arctic Fox with the same quality. Pretty large tanks for a 8-1/2' camper, two propane tanks, room for dual battery's, etc.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lance holding tanks a large in their 3/4 ton models and they make excellent TC's. In business for almost 50 years now and they make more TC's than any other manufacturer and have for eons. Dealers right in your area and they get trade-ins constantly when owners buy a new one. AND yes, most will be in your price range.

We have had 7 different TC's since 1965 and the last 3 since 1993 were/are Lance and they have been excellent and never leaked once and zero structure issues or rot in them. 2 have been to Alaska from Michigan and all over the USA and Canada. Not one repair needed or done yet. very close to 200,000 miles of traveling and over a thousand night of camping in the 3 Lances.

Everything worked normal (no freezeups) when dry camping in the winter in the U.P. of Michigan in -11F temps and in Canada in -13F and the inside stayed at 70-71F and we were very comfortable and NO drafts. What more could we ask of our Lances?
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just went on Northstars website, holding tanks are small on grey water and only 5gal. on the cassette toilet

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm familiar with Northstar campers. Always liked them because IMO they didn't build "oversized" campers.
Are they still a privately owned company or are they owned by one of the big RV manufactures.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Northern Lite, well made, good for all seasons and if you are going new they stand behind the product with one of the best warranties in the business.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
I have learned there is a lot of different 3/4 ton trucks even with the same mfg. You need to figure out what your real available payload is before you start to shop. Don't rely on the person selling it to tell you it will be fine on your truck they just want to sell you the camper. If it's a dealer they will want to also sell you all the extra suspension equipment you need because now your truck is overloaded.

Jknight611
Explorer
Explorer
Northstar is hard to beat. I researched hi an lo, Northstar has great customer support and great build quality. We paid about 24,000 for our new Adventurer 8.5 with Torklift tiedown system, sway bar and air bags on my 2500 HD Crew Cab Duramax.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Host Campers makes good campers, but you won't get a new one in your price range. They've discontinued the lighter models, but if you look, you should be able to find one in the price range that you can haul.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Northstar. A very good choice for a camper that will definitely work on a three quarter ton truck. Very good company with excellent customer service support.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
For a 3/4T, NorthStar has many choices.

I second this as a previous Northstar owner. Well built, strong, and outstanding customer support if needed.

AF is also a quality camper but will stress your 3/4 ton.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Northstar
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
For a 3/4T, NorthStar has many choices.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
Northstar
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne