cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about GVWR.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why doesn't the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating equal the Gross Axle Weight Rating for the front and rear axle?

Take my F150 (heavy) pickup for example. The FGAWR = 4,050#. The RGAWR = 4,800#. Yet the GVWR = 8,200#. Why shouldn't the GVWR = 8,850#?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch
42 REPLIES 42

Gr8life
Explorer
Explorer
Licensing requirements (taxes) are the reason for the dual GVWR ratings. Has nothing to do with GVWR or RAWR. Completely irrelevant to the discussion.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The thread is about GVWR.
My F350 SRW info was too show how the truck makers GVWR can be manipulated.
Read my reply again...I didn't say anything about local taxes.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Gr8life
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
They offer a 11200 GVWR or a 10000 GVWR for the exact same configured truck/same GAWRs/same engine and tranny /same frame/same brake specs/same tire and wheel packages/etc ,just a different GVWR numbers.

And the reason has anything at all to with RAWR? Or local taxes? You lost me on this sidetrack.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
it is a simple thing to upgrade your F-150 to a F-450, simply change out the rear axle.

Doing so still doesn't change the F150 RAWR on the trucks certification placard. Its still a F150.

Ford does offer several GVWR packages from 10000 lbs up to 11500 lbs for the F350 SRW.
They offer a 11200 GVWR or a 10000 GVWR for the exact same configured truck/same GAWRs/same engine and tranny /same frame/same brake specs/same tire and wheel packages/etc ,just a different GVWR numbers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

Gr8life
Explorer
Explorer
Since some say that all you have to do is stay under RAWR, it is a simple thing to upgrade your F-150 to a F-450, simply change out the rear axle. Forget about the frame, brakes, suspension, and other components of your pickup. Why didn't Ford thing of this? They could have eliminated building so darn many models. (GVWR is what they foolishly go by)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
KevinO wrote:
That is 7640lbs total which leaves me 2260lbs for payload. but according to the scale slip I still have 3830lbs available on my rear axle...

Just stay under your trucks certified 6830 RAWR which includes tires/wheels and rear spring pack and/or if your state has a weighted registration. In my state we have no weight to register our private use trucks at so we simply carry weight determined by the RAWR in the case of a truck pulling a trailer.

If your going to carry more weight on the rear axle then you will have to up grade to higher rated tires/wheels and the rear spring pack or some type of aftermarket suspension help.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
The first response was a perfect answer to the OP's question. Everything else on this thread (other than the 2nd response which was commending the first responder on his post) is splitting hairs and arguing about what shade of the blue the sky is.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
Why doesn't the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating equal the Gross Axle Weight Rating for the front and rear axle?

Take my F150 (heavy) pickup for example. The FGAWR = 4,050#. The RGAWR = 4,800#. Yet the GVWR = 8,200#. Why shouldn't the GVWR = 8,850#?

That is called static vs dynamic weight. When we drive on roads it can change with turns and terrain changes.
Back 10 years ago the ratio was much different than it is today. Most new SRW 35 series trucks have almost a 90% ratio of GAWR vs GVWR. Ten years ago is was about 75%. GVWR sells trucks and I'll leave it at that. Yes the GVWR and GAWR will be the same in the near future :W
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand my trucks ratings as well.. My F350 has a GVWR- 9900lbs
GAWR-
REAR- 6830lbs
Front-5200lbs.

I just had my truck weighed at a Cat Scale

Front axle- 4640lbs
Rear axle 3000lbs
That is 7640lbs total which leaves me 2260lbs for payload. but according to the scale slip I still have 3830lbs available on my rear axle...
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

blt2ski
Then one has to deal with the at cops in th shacks. Which many times depending upon the states, do not care about the tire, spring or Adel ratings. Only that you are below the 20k lbs per Adel, with no less than 20" of tire width per side to support the load, so you do not harm the roadbed ssurface, sub grade etc. You can have an Adel rated to 25 k per the specs shown earlier, but be over weight as you can only load the Axelrod and its components to 20k lbs.

Ive been pulled over here in wa st many times over my manufacture rated Adel capacity, I have yet to get an over weight ticket, as I am under my paid for license, and the max load per axel with out harm's mg the road bed itself.

Choose your poison in how and what to follow, too many rights and wrongs frankly.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:

"The Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) is the maximum weight that the designated axle system is designed to carry. It is set by the OEM and noted on the vehicle's original certification label. Again INCORRECT! The axle ratingnis specified by the axles manufacturer. They design and specifiy the rating of that single component. The body builder specifies the vehicles GVWR based on factors, among them I spelled out earlier.Alterers must determine whether their modifications affect the manufacturer's stated GVWR or GAWR. If they do, the alterer must specify the new GVWR or GAWR on the alterer's certification label (see 49 CFR 567.7). Note: A modifier or dealer should never accept an altered vehicle that does not have an alterer's certification label."

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/adaptive/Inoper/Fre_ask_Ques.htm

Sorry Don, but that is incorrect. Per US DOT and their definition of what they say the GAWR is, it is the whole axle system and not just the axle. The US DOT is the one who makes these regulations on what GAWR is so you cannout say they are wrong since they make the rule.

"GAWR
The Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) means the value specified by the vehicle manufacturer as the load-carrying capacity of a single axle system, as measured at the tire-ground interfaces."

Page 16 file:///C:/Users/owner/Downloads/TP-110T-03_Nov_01_2012_Final.pdf
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
"Again INCORRECT! The axle ratingnis specified by the axles manufacturer. They design and specifiy the rating of that single component. The body builder specifies the vehicles GVWR based on factors, among them I spelled out earlier"

Don, I understand your point but for the sake of this discussion we are referring to the GAWR that is stated on your DOT label. That's all DOT care about. DOT don't give a rats a$$ what AMM rate the individual axle at. It's spelled out pretty clear in the NTSA document.

My axle is rated at over 7000lbs if I had an F350 sticker on my fender.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:

Looking at Fords builders spec pages , even Ford say it may;
4) Gross Axle Weight Rating is determined by the rated capacity of the minimum component of the axle system (axle, computer-selected springs,
wheels, tires) of a specific vehicle. Front and rear GAWRs will, in all cases, sum to a number equal to or greater than the GVWR for the particular vehicle."

Lots of RV folks are confused by how much brake performance a vehicle has. Especially our trucks. Brakes are a function of the vehicles axle system.
NHTSA says this about components of the GAWR:
"Gross Axle Weight Rating is the rated load-carrying capacity of an individual axle and wheel assembly. (It represents the load that may be steadily sustained by the components in the system; i.e., tires, rims, hubs, bearing, axles, brakes, suspension, sub frame, etc. with the GAWR limited by the components with the lowest working rating".

and from RMA

• GAWR: Gross Axle Weight Rating (for each axle) -
The maximum weight rating that the components
(tires, rims/wheels, brakes, springs, and axle) of
each axle are designed to support. This is
determined by the lowest design capacity of any
component. In other words, if the wheels have the
lowest design capacity of any component on that
axle, installing tires with a higher load capacity
does not increase the GAWR. By regulation, the
tire load rating times the number of tires on that
axle must equal or exceed the GAWR for that axle.

And for our trailers;
dexter axle;

The Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) of your running gear is determined by the lowest rated component in the assembly. The capacity of the wheel, tire, axle, brake, springs/rubber and hub are all considered.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
GAWR is the weight rating for one single component the axle.

This is false. The GAWR is defined by the NHTSA and DOT to be the measure of the limit of the axle system which includes suspension and tires. It is not just what the axle itself can handleSorry, INCORRECT! As an example, my truck has an 11.5K rear axle, but the tires are only rated for 10K. 2500 series trucks can have axle ratings around 10K and carry from the factory 6000 pound rated tires.

"The Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) is the maximum weight that the designated axle system is designed to carry. It is set by the OEM and noted on the vehicle's original certification label. Again INCORRECT! The axle ratingnis specified by the axles manufacturer. They design and specifiy the rating of that single component. The body builder specifies the vehicles GVWR based on factors, among them I spelled out earlier.Alterers must determine whether their modifications affect the manufacturer's stated GVWR or GAWR. If they do, the alterer must specify the new GVWR or GAWR on the alterer's certification label (see 49 CFR 567.7). Note: A modifier or dealer should never accept an altered vehicle that does not have an alterer's certification label."

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/adaptive/Inoper/Fre_ask_Ques.htm

"GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) – The GAWR is the value specified by the vehicle manufacturer as the load-carrying capacity of a single axle system. Each axle on a truck (and trailer) has a maximum allowable weight capacity. As previously noted, the GVWR of a truck is usually less than the combined GAWRs of all of a truck’s axles. The GAWR is limited by the weakest link in the axle system which also includes the suspension and the tires. For example, an axle with a design rating of 21,000 pounds may be rated lower due to the rating of the selected suspension (springs) or tires. When calculating the design load on an axle, make sure to take into account any weight transferred to the axle from a trailer (tongue weight) and the potential placement of cargo."

https://www.ntea.com/content.aspx?id=20194

If the GAWR set on manufactured trucks was just the axle, then the 11.5" AAM axle in my truck would have a GAWR of it's rated 10,000 lbs instead of its axle system rating of 6,500 lbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10.5%22_Corporate_14_Bolt_Differential#11.5_AAM

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, forgot to use my 1996 Suburban's rear axle as an example

GM purchases this axle assembly from AAM.

AAM rates it at 10,000lb GAWR. GM rates it on my Sub and the 1 ton dually of that
year at 6,000lb GAWR

Why and what is/are the limiting factors/components/etc ???

We will never know as outsiders to their Product Design Team. Nor will they
ever provide that info, as I'd guess they consider that company private and
competitive advantage on how they do things

My front axle is rated 4,250lb GAWR by GM. Ordered it with the F60 option (snow
plow prep package) that has 1 ton torsion bars. The 1 ton dually 4x4 has its
front axle rated around 5,400lb GAWR

Should I take the AAM 10,000lb GAWR for mine? Then the 1 ton dually's 5,400lb
as mine also?

That would be 10,000 + 5,400 = 15,400 GVWR?!?...nope I know better, but do
claim, tongue firmly planted on cheek, my 3/4 ton Sub as a K3500.... 🙂

PS...also forgot that braking ability (repeated on incline, at high temp, etc, etc)
is another mandated performance item from the regulatory agencies. Maybe the
brake sizing for 'that' GVWR can not meet federal spec with higher weights
on it's back...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...