cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about the older diesel's

RR24
Explorer
Explorer
My question about the older diesel's is mainly the 5.9 dodge and the ford 7.3, these are a lot louder than the newer diesel. Is there anyway to make them quieter without hurting performance. I mean the dodge sounds like a john deer tractor;)
2008 Ford F250 4x4 CC V10
2005 Jazz 5th wheel 2760RL
57 REPLIES 57

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
cwboyscooby wrote:
The two best diesels ever built... you get used to the sound and learn to love it.

You can quiet them down a bit by running a good synthetic, but not really noticeable. It's the injectors that are so noisy.

You may go deaf and get used to it but what about everybody else in the campground. Even though I owned two 5.9's I have never been a fan of them, in fact I was much happier with my '93 GM which had what was probably one of the most unreliable diesel engines ever produced.

Huh??
I kinda like the old 6.5's for grocery getters but to say you liked it better than the Cummins???

To the OP, no real way to make them quieter, unless someone has made it even louder with exhaust/straight pipe removed the turbosilencer ring, open air box.
The Cummins in order of loudest to quietest are 24V VP44 pump motors, 12V, 5.9 Common rail, 6.7. Personally I love the sound of the early 24V Dodges.

I've still got an old 5.9 that only has about 80,000 original miles on it. I couldn't stand driving that rough riding, stinking, noisy old truck so it's been parked in the weeds for the last 10 years or so.

Haven't seen a Ford that is any quieter, got any pics of the 5.9 in the weeds?
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.atpwrap.com/html/dodgeram.html

http://www.atpwrap.com/html/dodgecummins.html

Later models, too.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

jfritz_drfritz
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
A pre 99 7.3 is louder than 99 and later because they do not have a inter cooler. Guess you could add one to the older ones and up the HP. Recently asked a guy with 39 years with Ford if The newest PSD,s were any good and he said NO... Not that I wanted to get rid of my 02 7.3 PSD.
The inter cooler has nothing to do with the sound. The difference is that the earlier engines had single shot injectors, the later motors went to split shot injectors. The inter cooler was added so power levels could be increased , the larger high pressure oil pump was necc to support the higher hp and the split shots which take more oil to run

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
cwboyscooby wrote:
The two best diesels ever built... you get used to the sound and learn to love it.

You can quiet them down a bit by running a good synthetic, but not really noticeable. It's the injectors that are so noisy.

You may go deaf and get used to it but what about everybody else in the campground. Even though I owned two 5.9's I have never been a fan of them, in fact I was much happier with my '93 GM which had what was probably one of the most unreliable diesel engines ever produced.

Huh??
I kinda like the old 6.5's for grocery getters but to say you liked it better than the Cummins???

To the OP, no real way to make them quieter, unless someone has made it even louder with exhaust/straight pipe removed the turbosilencer ring, open air box.
The Cummins in order of loudest to quietest are 24V VP44 pump motors, 12V, 5.9 Common rail, 6.7. Personally I love the sound of the early 24V Dodges.

I've still got an old 5.9 that only has about 80,000 original miles on it. I couldn't stand driving that rough riding, stinking, noisy old truck so it's been parked in the weeds for the last 10 years or so.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
4x4ord wrote:
cwboyscooby wrote:

Huh??

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
Listening to the sound of my 02 7.3 hauling my TT down the road is music to my ears ! I love the sound of that thing..... I had a 94 F350 with a 7.3.... now that one was loud, kinda sounded like a caterpillar backhoe.

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
Best suggestion= earplugs. Mine sounds like a cement mixer and I really don't care. It does a great job. I do not idle too much in a campground though. I'll shut it off in between setup and take down as needed.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

roverdover
Explorer
Explorer
Will add my comment. I have one of those "most unreliable engines ever made", yes the old turbo Detroit. It is about as loud as the Ram or old Fords. Turn it off in the drive thru. But it does quieten down under a load. Although it is the week sister to those other early diesels, it sure does a good job compared to my old gasser.

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
Diesels- more than one diesel.

Diesel's- Something the diesel possesses.

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I'd long gotten used to the sound of my ole 7.3, so was surprised when I fired her up to leave a campground a couple of years ago and some woman walking by held her hands onto her ears as I drove off. Wished I would've had a matching train horn installed at the time for her dissin' my truck.

The 7.3 is most noticeable accelerating in town and at high rpms while climbing grades. On the highway in overdrive, the ole gal settles down at some 1500 rpms or so with its 3.55 axle, so the other highway noises overcome the distinctive sounds of the diesel, relatively speaking of course.

But I forgive all of its clattering when I figure my fuel mileage, which is in the fourteens towing and the twenty-ones not towing while on the highway.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Lawdawg21 wrote:

I agree that's why I was looking at one of these for my first diesel, but when your behind in the drive through you cant even here to order LOL:D

I have to turn my 7.3 off in the drive through... But one small inconvenience for the best motor ever made.

Yep have to turn mine off and it is not near as loud as the first and second gen Rams.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a X and a old F-250 that both have the 7.3 and they are loud, but they are also trouble free so far. The X has 150K and the F-250 has 250K.

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
RR24 wrote:
My question about the older diesel's is mainly the 5.9 dodge and the ford 7.3, these are a lot louder than the newer diesel. Is there anyway to make them quieter without hurting performance. I mean the dodge sounds like a john deer tractor;)

actually the dodges sound like a case or white tractor :B ...if you want it quieter in the cab put in lots of dynamat... best sounding engine IMHO..
1999 F550 truck conversion

camping_man
Explorer
Explorer
They sound like tractors, but will still be running like one 30yrs. later, long after all the fancy computers, and injectors have failed on these new trucks.
05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 02 7.3 Ford. Everyone knew when I was coming - from blocks away. Forget out the volume in the parking garages. Pulled strong when I gave it up at ~170k. Great engine, alas the rest of the truck rusted away from it. Now the 6.7 Ford I'm driving now -- I feel like I driving a gasser in comparison. And the 6.7 is far more capable. Time will tell how well it treats me. Hoping as well or better than the 7.3 did.

Only way I've heard of the quiet a 7.3 is a "drive thru" tune from DP Tuner. I simple turned the truck off at the drive thru. In face it was so lout I'd hang back from the car ahead of me so they could communicate their order as well.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch