cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram 6.4 Gas Mileage

pauliwalnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Interested to know what people are getting for Gas mileage with the 6.4 Hemi in the 2500 Ram. I'm considering a new 2014 crew cab Outdoorsman with 4.10 axle ratio.
30 REPLIES 30

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
ib516, I've enjoyed your posts on the 6.4--don't stop.
The fisherman comment was priceless. I had to think about it for a moment before I got it.
As far as mileage, once I timed it just right, and got 99 mpg towing the trailer, down I-90 off Lookout Pass, for 5.5 miles. When we got home, we averaged 8.5 for the trip.
Each rig is going to tow differently then the next. Our trailer sits pretty high behind the truck and I'm sure the wind beats it pretty badly due to wind flow off the camper shell.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Deleted
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stand by my numbers, you disagree, and that's ok. I own the truck, I know what empty hwy mpg means, and I know what average mpg means. You apparently aren't so good at reading comprehension.

Go back and actually read what I wrote in the post you mocked, and you'll see we are actually in agreement. If I entered my odometer over fuel used when daily commuting (like fuelly members do) I too would average 13-15 mpg.

What I AM saying is that my truck will get 18 mpg average when running empty hwy at 60 mph, and I have a video to prove it. It will also get 21-22 mpg at that speed when it kicks into 4 cyl mode, and I have video to prove that too - but to be clear that only happens intermittently and under the right conditions.

What I am NOT saying, but you seem to be implying I am, is that I average 18 mpg per tank. I certainly do not get that mpg, not even in my 5.9L Cummins. Again, reread what I wrote.

Here is exactly what I said:

"I get about 8 mpg pulling 12k of 5er, 18 mpg when running empty on the highway, 14 mpg or so in mixed driving, and 11-13 mpg city."
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
If I get on top of Teton Pass and drive into Victor,Idaho I would probably get like 50 mpg (I have no idea what it would be, except very high). I am not going to then claim that I get 50 mpg, it is misleading and ridiculous. I could take a video of that and it would look good though. The vast majority (minus one 18.1 mpg claim on Fuelly) all are south of 15 mpg. That is still nothing to be ashamed of, big horses have to be fed. There is no value to anyone else when you cherry pick the most optimal driving conditions and claim the resulting mpg as your "mileage". Now if you want to qualify the statement with "when the stars aligns (going downhill with a tailwind), I can see 18 mpg" that puts your statement in a context that we can all relate to. Either way, you have a very nice pickup with big power, it is not
necessary to be misleading on its mpg, it is what it is.

^^^^^^^^ Great post, should be a sticky. ๐Ÿ™‚

The great thing about lots of average numbers is that; well; there're average.

15 MPG towing a TT with an 06 Duramax may be average for some people but it's not average for the average person or me. After 8 years of towing the same TT 10's of thousands of miles I can write in stone that I'm going to "average" 12 MPG when I go on vacation with my TT.

If I have to budget for fuel costs / year (non towing) for my truck, I will budget 16.5 MPG times the mileage I drive. How do I know this? Years and years and years of "average" numbers.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ideratherbecamp
Explorer
Explorer
This post is for those that don't understand what 18 mpg highway means. For instance, I drove from my home in New York down to relatives in Delaware, all highway not towing and I got 18 mpg hand calculated. I have a 2014 ram 2500 6.4 with 4.10 gears.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
If I get on top of Teton Pass and drive into Victor,Idaho I would probably get like 50 mpg (I have no idea what it would be, except very high). I am not going to then claim that I get 50 mpg, it is misleading and ridiculous. I could take a video of that and it would look good though. The vast majority (minus one 18.1 mpg claim on Fuelly) all are south of 15 mpg. That is still nothing to be ashamed of, big horses have to be fed. There is no value to anyone else when you cherry pick the most optimal driving conditions and claim the resulting mpg as your "mileage". Now if you want to qualify the statement with "when the stars aligns (going downhill with a tailwind), I can see 18 mpg" that puts your statement in a context that we can all relate to. Either way, you have a very nice pickup with big power, it is not necessary to be misleading on its mpg, it is what it is.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
I like going onto fuelly to see what other are getting from their vehicles, tank to tank. You do need to watch some of the reports if they seem to high.. The odd time people put the wrong decimal point on their milage and don't correct it.

2014 RAM 2500 6.4

2015 RAM 2500 6.4

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
You win Troy - oh great defender of the internet mpg figures !

Here's your crown buddy.

I love how you wear it with enthusiasm!

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Some Rams were sold to fishermen and some weren't. :B

Surprisingly, there is wind on the way to some fishing spots and even some hills ๐Ÿ™‚

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
ksss wrote:
Some guys seeing 18 mpg in a 6.4 and some guys seeing 12-14ish (which is on par with the 6.2 and 6.0 gas from Ford and Chevy). Ram needs to find out what they did right when they made the 18 mpg trucks and replicate it so all of their 6.4s can share in that kind of mileage.

Some Rams were sold to fishermen and some weren't. :B

Now that was about (---------------THIS-------------) funny! ๐Ÿ™‚

X2 ROTFLMAO

2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ib516 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ib516 wrote:
That's why I post videos of my mpg. Takes the BS out of the equation.

Driving style can account for a 30% difference in mpg. Some people have no idea how to drive, some people are 100% throttle or 100% brake with nothing in between. Some people donโ€™t use cruise control on the hwy and are always tipping into the throttle to make up speed they lost due to inattention. Some people drive around with 20 psi in their tires. Weather and terrain play a part. There are dozens of reasons for variety in reported mpg besides lies, but logic isn't as much fun as trolling. ๐Ÿ™‚

How does a video capture the weather on your mpg video? What's the wind speed? What's the wind direction relative to your driving direction during the video? Like you said environmental effects affect mpg and only capturing fuel economy data during a long period can one really claim their fuel economy. At a minimum fuel economy should be published driving in two directions so that wind affects are part of the posted mpg claim.

Funny how you always appear with something negative to post. Maybe you need more fiber in your diet. :W

In the 4 cyl mode video, you can see the snow (that's the white stuff we get here that falls from the sky...kind of like Texas rain - only colder :B) blowing across the road, and you can read the temp in the EVIC. Sorry, I dont own a portable weather station. Also, I don't claim my videos are in laboratory conditions, but real world is better don't you think?

In the end though, take my data or leave it, unless you're in the market for a new Ram, why would you care anyway? :h I've posted my experience.

And hey, don't think I'm naive enough to think you'd be willing to admit anything positive about a Ram truck. Your agenda is clear in every post of every thread. At least you're consistent! :B

IB,
I find it ironic that you called me out on my fuel economy claims a while back even when I described my trip so I posted a picture of my fuel mileage with miles driven and total time to validate the best I could including driving in two directions to eliminate some of the environmental variables. What was your motive and was it even required or relevant? I think we all know the answer to that! I'm not naรฏve either and I'll continue to call out the BS when it's necessary.

Your claim of a video to eliminate the BS is not accurate and I'm calling you out and not RAM or anything else.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
99 mpg :B or is that "mpge"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I always get my best mpg cruising the internet. Out in the real world it's not as good. Wonder why ๐Ÿ™‚

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
ksss wrote:
Nobody is trolling. When you post mileage that is 4-5 mpg above 90% of what every one else seems to get, you can expect to get challenged on it. I am sure that the 6.4 guys (heck I am even interested) that are getting the mpg norm would like to take lessons on how to drive so that they also can achieve 18 mpg. May I suggest an informative Utube video. It might make ya famous!;)

90%? Where did you pull that gem from? I'd love to see where you read 9/10 owners report 13-14 mpg hwy.

If you actually read what's posted in this thread, you'd see others that are reporting lower than 18 mpg are not claiming that is straight hwy like I am. My daily driver mpg is lower like I said. It seems most other owners agree with my numbers and have similar mpg experience.

Are you also then claiming that I faked the videos somehow? Did you watch them, or did you just see 18 mpg, stop reading and start trolling with made up 90% figures?