cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 6.4L 8 speed vs Ford 7.3 to carry truck camper

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’m in the market for a new DRW to carry a truck camper and think I’ve narrowed it down to a 3500/350 DRW CC 4x4 4:10/4:30
I’ve had a few newer CTDs and love the motor, but feel one of the new gas engines will meet my need without the cost, maintenance and complexity of a new diesel.
I’ve read great reviews of the Ram with the new 8 speed but it looks like the 7.3 Ford may be a better engine with a more simple design and hopefully longevity.
I haven’t seen many Fords on Auto Trader but it looks like I can get a new Ram Tradesman for around $43-44k.
I will be carrying a TC approx 5k lbs and flat towing a 4K lb Jeep on occasion or similar trailer.
The Hemi seems to be proven but obviously the 7.3L is new.
What are your thoughts which would be better and why?
Could I get a similar Ford for around the same price as the Ram?
Also, I don’t “need” to buy until early fall so I have some time to see how the 7.3 works out.
I know this could go in the TC forum, but I think there may be more experience on this forum for Powertrains.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
14 REPLIES 14

blt2ski
I'm not saying, either or.
This is also asked in truck camper forum.
Closing

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
ShinerBock wrote:
Out of these two, I would pick the Ford 7.3L...... Oh wait, I am not suppose to say that because I am a Ram fanboy according to Fish.

Being a fanboy like Shiner I agree and would probably go with the 7.3 simply because of the larger cube engine and 10 speed transmission.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Out of these two, I would pick the Ford 7.3L...... Oh wait, I am not suppose to say that because I am a Ram fanboy according to Fish.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
I really like the the Ford purpose built 7.3 gas, the RAM 6.4 had been around a while but I personally am not fond of of the cylinder deactivation on a HD truck.

I did not like the cylinder deactivation at first either but it grows on you after a while and it’s not in play in tow haul mode or if you go to manual and put it in sixth , the newer trucks would 8th .
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
In the currently available trucks I would probably go with the Ford 7.3L. As for pricing, these are brand new on the market so negotiating probably isn't on the buyer's side currently, but that will change with a bit of time. Also, it is a new engine and transmission, but if the 6.2L is any indication, it will be a bulletproof workhorse.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I recently shopped them head to head and don’t see any compelling reason to take one over the other. You can find a Ford XL similarly priced to a Tradesman. Pricing competitiveness may depend on who has what incentives at the time. Spend some seat time and choose the one that appeals to you.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
From the Ike pull video, I sure like the sound of the 7.3 when it’s working hard. Reminds me of my wife’s Bullitt ‘stang.

Sure hope they don’t change that. Who needs a quiet V8 of that displacement anyhoo?

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 6.4L Hemi with the older 6 speed auto and 4.10s. It worked really well pulling my 12k 5er. The Ford seems to have impressive power and the 10 speed auto.

With the 8 speed being behind the 6.4L Hemi, I think the performance would be almost the same between the two trucks, though the Ford has the edge on paper. I haven't seen a head to head comparison yet.

Between the two, I'd chose the TRUCK you like best as the powertrains are going to be very close.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I really like the the Ford purpose built 7.3 gas, the RAM 6.4 had been around a while but I personally am not fond of of the cylinder deactivation on a HD truck.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Either should do fine. These new gassers and trannys with DRW are a great setup for a truck camper. I currently own the Ram 6.4 Hemi but with the 6spd. I have to imagine the 8spd will be amazing. I am really not brand loyal at all. I like the affordability of the Ram compared to the Ford. All these new trucks scare me with reliability. I'd probably go for the Ram and use some of the money I saved to buy a nice factory backed warranty. I'm currently about 5K ahead with my warranty.

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
I have a ram 3500 drw 2 wheel drive crew with the 6.4 and carry a host mammonth TC over 5k , have no problem with the 6.4 plenty of power and in my configuration just short of 7k payload with the 410”s . if you go with the ram 6.4 and feel you need a rear sway bar there is only the road master available now and there were none in 2018 when I bought my truck due to the 6.4 exhaust configuration I used sumo springs to help reduce sway . Can’t speak on the fords motor .
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
How many places are you going to ask the same question?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
I have no experience with either but I'd say either one would do the job. It might just come down to the price or the truck you like the best.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
You pretty much summed it up.
The 6.4 is proven, the 7.3 sounds promising and with 10spd auto.

Both would handily do what your asking.

I'm going gas on next truck.