cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram diesel

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't search much because I'm using my phone data right now in a campground. Not knowing what we wanted to do during the winter we started with a small set up. We have decided to spend the winters in the south west so we need a real set up. The wife wants a larger counter top area and we both want reclining chairs so I'm planning on a used TT in the 30 t0 34 foot range and A Ram 4 door Diesel.
I notice people say just buy a 3500 but most seem to be dually.
Wife also thinks we should get on screen nav.
I never plan on going with a massive 5 th wheel and I dont think I will end up with a TT over 10,000 total weight.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought the picture frame adapter and I'm going to use my existing 5er hitch.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
You haven't gotten it yet? Take the dive, you won't regret it. Get the navigation, it works well. It also has nifty features like fuel availability and prices near wherever you are. It shows upcoming rest areas, banks, repair shops, hospitals and even a live weather radar. The truck handles like a dream, and driving it is almost stress free. Watch the mirrors and don't let them stick you with something that won't fold out. You will really appreciate it when you have to climb a grade.

No, not yet. I think the mirrors rotate to landscape and portrait positions. I'm looking at the 4 x 4 8' bed. Did you have any issue getting the fifth wheel pin to line up. Some folks are commenting that RAM 3500 4 x 4 bed rides high. Are you towing a fifth wheel? Did you have to use the picture frame adapter to get a hitch to fit the factory OEM fifth wheel set up? There only seems to be one 20K hitch that will actually mount into the OEM factory "pucks" in the bed, and that's a $1,200 hitch.
2011 F350 6.7L, 4WD, DRW, 8' bed, Reese Elite 25K
2011 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5, MOR/ryde IS, 8K disc brakes, 17.5" wheels/G114s
Solar: 960 watts, 3,000 hybrid inverter, 830 AH bank, 2 controllers
IT: weboost 4G-X, WiFi Ranger Elite Pack

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
You haven't gotten it yet? Take the dive, you won't regret it. Get the navigation, it works well. It also has nifty features like fuel availability and prices near wherever you are. It shows upcoming rest areas, banks, repair shops, hospitals and even a live weather radar. The truck handles like a dream, and driving it is almost stress free. Watch the mirrors and don't let them stick you with something that won't fold out. You will really appreciate it when you have to climb a grade.

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
DirtyOil wrote:
I assume it comes with some period of time free, then I have to start paying a sat subscription I guess

Nav is free, you may have to get dealer to upgrade it once in a while ( can be done your self... can't remember site at the moment) The only subscription fee is the Sat radio - SiriusXM you get it free for one year then have to purchase subscription if you so desire.

Found site for upgrading Nav, might be pricy, I prefer the dealer do it myself. http://navigationupdates.com/ram/

The Nav is great, even shows oil field lease roads (which are private use roads) so no excuses for me if I show up late and try the ..."couldn't find it" excuse.

Thanks. Yes, I see this and this relates to updating maps every once and a while. I also looking at Uconnect's premier features found here: Uconnect Evidently via XM ratio satellite, users can get current traffic reports, weather reports, internet, etc. Uconnect also has a internet capability, with throws off a WiFi hot spot signal. I'm not sure yet what all this would cost and the price may be just stupid and not worth it. I'm looking for anyone whose used these "premier" XM products and whether they are worth using. As an alternative, I'd probably use my iphone's WiFi signal and iPad I guess. If I used my iPhone and not these XM premier products, I guess updating the maps as you suggest make the most sense.

Knowing best practices for a full timer would be great if anyone knows. So may options and device/ app combinations.....:h

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
I assume it comes with some period of time free, then I have to start paying a sat subscription I guess

Nav is free, you may have to get dealer to upgrade it once in a while ( can be done your self... can't remember site at the moment) The only subscription fee is the Sat radio - SiriusXM you get it free for one year then have to purchase subscription if you so desire.

Found site for upgrading Nav, might be pricy, I prefer the dealer do it myself. http://navigationupdates.com/ram/

The Nav is great, even shows oil field lease roads (which are private use roads) so no excuses for me if I show up late and try the ..."couldn't find it" excuse.
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
Boxer Lovers wrote:
One quick note on the Ram navigation system, it is not c.d. based, but satellite based, so updates are not an issue. The U Connect, Sirius/XM radio, and nav are top notch. If you're planning on keeping the truck, you might as well get the options you can afford.

Boxer Lovers, I'm looking to special order a new 2014 RAM 3500 and wondering about the Uconnect navigation. I'll be full timing pulling a 40' fifth wheel so navigation, current traffic info, and particulars for the RV driver on where a rig will and wont' fit are critical. I've used a TomTom for years in my car, but don't know about particulars unique to big RV rids, and am a newbie to RVs to boot

I see lots of bigger rig RV folks using iPads, laptops, etc., but of course, they don't have the nav screens like these new trucks come with. Will I need to plan on using anything else if I order the top of the line Uconnect with this RAM 3500? I assume it comes with some period of time free, then I have to start paying a sat subscription I guess. Any thoughts are appreciated as I haven't ordered the truck yet.

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
For a TT under 10,000lbs I'd go 6.4 Hemi 2500. You're in Florida and traveling to the southwest, that's mostly flat traveling. A Hemi would do great.

I agree the 6.4L Hemi with 4.10 gears would be great for this application and I love mine...but if I had the extra money right now I'd have a Cummins in mine. The Cummins can pull some really good fuel economy especially on the flats in the south. Plus the massive torque gives you the option to tow just about anything that you'd want.
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
For a TT under 10,000lbs I'd go 6.4 Hemi 2500. You're in Florida and traveling to the southwest, that's mostly flat traveling. A Hemi would do great.

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
One quick note on the Ram navigation system, it is not c.d. based, but satellite based, so updates are not an issue. The U Connect, Sirius/XM radio, and nav are top notch. If you're planning on keeping the truck, you might as well get the options you can afford.

I second the opinion about the SRW Ram. The only reason I have the DRW 3500 is the 15,000 fifth wheel I tow. A travel trailer hooked to a proper towing package should at most require a SRW 3500, probably a 2500 would get it done.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
The payload in the Dodge 2500 is an impressive 3000 lbs or so and you get the new coil springs or possibly rear air suspension. The 3500 has (I think) about 600lbs more payload but it comes at the cost of going back to bumpy leaf springs. A 2500 is well within limits of what you need. Duallys and even 3500SRW are mainly just needed when you get into 5th wheels.

Take a 10000# TT - even at the maximum assumed tongue weight of 15% you still have roughly 1500# of room for people and gear in the truck to stay under the GVRW of a 2500.

This is what I was thinking as well...many Ram 2500s have over 3000 lbs payload and should be able to easily handle a large travel trailer. Just make sure you check the cab/gearing/engine/trim combo's on the Ram site to make sure you'll have the combination with 3000+ lbs of payload.

Sounds like you want a Laramie or Longhorn model with a lot of options. I would go with the built in NAV if it was in the budget. The new UConnect systems are incredible. You will be VERY happy with the Cummins. My brother has a 2500/Cummins and he brought it over yesterday. That truck is a jewel man...I love it. I am happy with the 6.4L Hemi for now, but once I get it paid off it's getting traded in for a new Cummins with all the bells and whistles.
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
The payload in the Dodge 2500 is an impressive 3000 lbs or so and you get the new coil springs or possibly rear air suspension. The 3500 has (I think) about 600lbs more payload but it comes at the cost of going back to bumpy leaf springs. A 2500 is well within limits of what you need. Duallys and even 3500SRW are mainly just needed when you get into 5th wheels.

Take a 10000# TT - even at the maximum assumed tongue weight of 15% you still have roughly 1500# of room for people and gear in the truck to stay under the GVRW of a 2500.

Roundtwo-40
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 13' Ram 2500SRW Cummins with my 33' TT I love the setup. The Crew Cab is huge and she drives awesome. JMO.
2013 Jayco Eagle 328RLTS w/15K AC
2013 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4X4
Equalizer 14K,PI PT30C Surge

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are probably far more 3500SRW than duallies out there. A little searching the internet should turn up a lot of them. Are you asking about used or new? New, Dave Smith motors in Kellogg,ID will be one of your best sources. Used, look on eBay. Do not get factory nav. Very expensive to upgrade as they are DVD based. So your straddled with buying from the factory.