cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RAM passes FORD in HD sales.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reading "Heavy Duty Trucking" Jan 2016 issue. HDT and other trade mags publish sales reports for various classes of trucks sorted by brand and class.
For November 2015 in class 3,4,5, 10001-19500 lb class, Ram outsold Ford 43.01 percent to 35.14 percent. A pretty good margin.

Ram, Nov 12,345/ YTD 141,423/ 43.01 percent
Ford, Nov 10,307/ YTD 115,553/ 35.14 percent
Chevrolet Nov 2867/ YTD 34,497/ 10.49 percent

Other brands in this class are; Freightliner, GMC, HINO, International, Isuzu, KW, Mitsubishi for a total of 328,819 units.

truckinginfo.com
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021
117 REPLIES 117

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Me Again,

"GM 397 Horsepower & 765 lb-ft of torque
RAM 385 Horsepower & 900 lb-ft of torque
Ford 440 Horsepower & 850 lb-ft of torque"

And yet the Duramax with only 765 lb-ft of torque that runs circles in performance around the Ram with its so-claimed 900 lb-ft of torque and the D'max gets much better fuel economy doing so. Gee, I wonder who is exaggerating their actual torque numbers delivered to the drive wheels like they always have? It's only torque that turns the drive wheels and nothing else but maybe you'd forgotten that!

Will admit Ford or Chevy will dust me "street light to street light", but for steady, stout mountain towing...this slow off the line Ram has proven itself to me as a Daily driver and as a TV, towing fairly heavy over some curvy, mountainous terrain..If I went by who won all these tow contest, I'd own a Ford or a GM/Chevy...Owned the D/A, loved it, won't say anything bad about it, but tried the Ram in 2010, and just ordered a 16'..I'm kind of a "like the underdog/ un-popular" type and "let's try something else just for the heck of it", and really do like the Ram...and haven't really owned one long enough to be labeled a "fan boy":B (Chevy-35 years...Ram, 6 yrs this summer)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Bedlam
06Fargo wrote:
So is a 550/5500 truck a "2 ton" ?

Call it what you want - My 10,000 lb Ram 5500 has a 9000 lb payload which is 4.5 tons.

With 2 tons the overloads are not touching and still have a gap.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again,

"GM 397 Horsepower & 765 lb-ft of torque
Ford 440 Horsepower & 850 lb-ft of torque"

And yet the Duramax with only 765 lb-ft of torque that runs circles in performance around the Ram with its so-claimed 900 lb-ft of torque and the D'max gets much better fuel economy doing so. Gee, I wonder who is exaggerating their actual torque numbers delivered to the drive wheels like they always have? It's only torque that turns the drive wheels and nothing else but maybe you'd forgotten that!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
I do not think that the torque has much to do with mileage at similar speeds and use. Our new 3500 SRW 4x4 gets similar mileage or better than my 2001.5 at higher cruise speeds empty. Towing the mileage is similar or slightly less at the same speeds, I weighs in at 1000-1500 more.

Chris

Agree, I had a Chevy 05 & 07.5 3500 Dually's with crew cab, Longbed, 4X4, D/A, as well as a 2010 and 2012 Ram 3500DRW, crew cab, longbed, 4X4's with Cummins and 68RFE and 4.10..and now own an even HEAVIER 13 with the Aisin...and THIS truck, towing or empty...gets as good as, IF NOT BETTER MPG, than any of the above...and I "towed heavy" with all of them..and over the same terrain..
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
jrp26789 wrote:
I would like it if the manufactures went back to 550 ft pounds and restored some of the economy diesels offered.

My 2015 6.7 gets 21 to 22 on the highway at 75 mph. It also has almost TWICE as much HP and torque as your 98.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not think that the torque has much to do with mileage at similar speeds and use. Our new 3500 SRW 4x4 gets similar mileage or better than my 2001.5 at higher cruise speeds empty. Towing the mileage is similar or slightly less at the same speeds, I weighs in at 1000-1500 more.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
jrp26789 wrote:
Just my opinion, I would like it if the manufactures went back to 550 ft pounds and restored some of the economy diesels offered. Loved my 98 Cummins. The new Nissan/Cummins is about the right size for a 2500 series truck.

BUT, for those of us who tow heavy....350/3500 is a better choice, and DEF helps with mpg...I get doggone good mpg for a truck that is a 1 ton, crew cab/longbed/4X4, with diesel and medium duty tranny being used as my daily driver as well as towing a heavy 5er. I love the 385 HP & 850 TQ...and it's STOCK power. I'm impressed with how good the MPG is considering size and weight of the truck.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

jrp26789
Explorer
Explorer
Just my opinion, I would like it if the manufactures went back to 550 ft pounds and restored some of the economy diesels offered. Loved my 98 Cummins. The new Nissan/Cummins is about the right size for a 2500 series truck.
If it is fun, the State of Minnesota will try to outlaw it!
2017 F150 2.7 ecoboost
2 tents

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
To be truthful, after towing with manuals years ago...I wouldn't want one...that's just me..but I'd take an automatic any day when towing on the mountainous, curvy roads that I tow on in NC, TN, VA and WV..but I'm also 65 and just like an automatic mow...
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
bfast54 wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Vintage465 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Vintage465 wrote:
I think it's kind of interesting that everyone is talking about the engines. I bought my GMC Denali based nearly entirely on the transmission. Strongest one available, bullet proof record. Engines? All of them have massive horsepower and torque, though Dodge is ridiculous on the torque factor. And the bottom line is............buy what you want! We're not in highschool anymore, we don't always have to own the most popular and always be right or the flavor of the month.

Actual the Allison 1000 has run out of gas at current Duramax ratings, and they have dropped out of the HP/torque race. The FORD Torque Shift transmission and the Aisin are both much stronger and very reliable.

Chris

That's good to know about the Torque Shift. I work for a company that has nearly all 6.7 Fords with their Auto Trans. Good to hear about the Aisin Tranny too? Is the Aisin Tranny available in the 2500/3500 trucks too?

Not the 2500's yet, but in the 3500's now...They need to put them in the 2500's to be more competitive there, but believe Ram is only one offering manual transmission in the 3500/3500 trucks. Some still like that option

And THAT is the reason you see VASTLY HIGHER numbers of Dodge "cummins" trucks HAULING RVs out of Goshen, Elkhart,Middleburry, Shipshiwana.........Dodge #1......Ford #2...... and HARDLEY ANY chevy / G.M.C.s

The Haulers PREFER sticks .............. Still interesting why very few chevys:h ?????

I was just in Elkhart this past week..........and in the Haulers motel...(Red Roof ) 15 Cummins .....6 Power stroke ....... One Duramax..:W

If these numbers are right, I doubt that the ability to buy a manual has much if anything to do with it.

Last I saw, the take rate for manual transmissions was low single digit % of sale. 3% is what I remember, but I can't find a link for that right now.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
So is a 550/5500 truck a "2 ton" ?

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Vintage465 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Vintage465 wrote:
I think it's kind of interesting that everyone is talking about the engines. I bought my GMC Denali based nearly entirely on the transmission. Strongest one available, bullet proof record. Engines? All of them have massive horsepower and torque, though Dodge is ridiculous on the torque factor. And the bottom line is............buy what you want! We're not in highschool anymore, we don't always have to own the most popular and always be right or the flavor of the month.

Actual the Allison 1000 has run out of gas at current Duramax ratings, and they have dropped out of the HP/torque race. The FORD Torque Shift transmission and the Aisin are both much stronger and very reliable.

Chris

That's good to know about the Torque Shift. I work for a company that has nearly all 6.7 Fords with their Auto Trans. Good to hear about the Aisin Tranny too? Is the Aisin Tranny available in the 2500/3500 trucks too?

Not the 2500's yet, but in the 3500's now...They need to put them in the 2500's to be more competitive there, but believe Ram is only one offering manual transmission in the 3500/3500 trucks. Some still like that option

And THAT is the reason you see VASTLY HIGHER numbers of Dodge "cummins" trucks HAULING RVs out of Goshen, Elkhart,Middleburry, Shipshiwana.........Dodge #1......Ford #2...... and HARDLEY ANY chevy / G.M.C.s

The Haulers PREFER sticks .............. Still interesting why very few chevys:h ?????

I was just in Elkhart this past week..........and in the Haulers motel...(Red Roof ) 15 Cummins .....6 Power stroke ....... One Duramax..:W
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
GM 397 Horsepower & 765 lb-ft of torque
Ford 440 Horsepower & 850 lb-ft of torque

Is Allison setting at the design table with GM? Why such low torque numbers.

"ALLISON 1000 STRENGTHS & WEAKNESSES
The Allison's obvious strength is its robust size, as the 1000 series transmission is designated for medium duty applications. Intuitively, this demonstrates that the transmission is inherently sufficient for class 3 and 4 GMC/Chevrolet pickups. The six speed model also has dual overdrives, with the second overdrive ratio being rather high. This allows for low engine speeds at cruising rpm and ultimately opportunities for significantly reduced fuel consumption in relative terms.
The Allison is not without a few weaknesses, which include insufficient lubrication to the C3 clutch and the off-center engagement of the C1 and C2 clutches. Low fluid flow to the C3 clutch has been known to be a leading cause of premature failure in the Allison, although it's not generally a cause for concern and there exists no phenomenon of widespread failures as a result of this issue. The C1 and C2 clutch pistons engage their respective clutch systems from the side (off-center), which typically causes uneven wear on these clutch packs. Again, the problem is frequently noted during transmission rebuilds, but has not been largely attributed to premature transmission failure.
A common occurrence for Duramax owners who chose to install aftermarket tuners/programmers (for performance improvements) is experiencing the transmission's "limp mode". This is a safety feature built into the Allison's programming which locks the transmission in 3rd gear if rapid or excessive slippage is detected. The concept is to protect the owner from being stranded as the result of serious transmissions problems, as the system identifies the slippage as abnormal and possibly a sign of severe problems. When this occurs, owners will experience a significant decrease in engine performance and reduced vehicle speed (performance and ratio limited)."

http://duramaxhub.com/allison-transmission.html

blt2ski
Sterlings have not been sold for at least 1-2 or more yrs back. Altho there may some some residual stock that is left. Also how in lt duty truck sales, one sees honda listed at times.....

Chris, WHile the 1000 was designed initially for 25/35 series trucks, it is used in rigs up to 19500, ie class 4 and 5, the 2000, same basic tranny is used in rigs up to 33K lbs. I would certainly put these two derivitives as MDT used/rated. Maybe not as high as the 3000 series.....

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, this doesn't matter to me, but are they also counting the heavy Rams that are rebadged as "Sterling's"? If not, the number for Rams could be quite a bit higher.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400