cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ranch Hand Sport replacement bumper

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
I think we have been on a mission lately to help the US economy. iPad mini, iPod, MacBook Pro and a Ranch Hand Sport replacement bumper. Ouch. At least the Ranch Hand is made in the USA.

We have been wanting to get something more solid for the front end. It seems like people like to play chicken with big trucks (ours seems big to me) by making last minute left hand turns or passing on blind curves. Also, we travel in open range country where the deer and the antelope and elk and cows play. And, in northern Utah all the Simplot trucks sported them plus the big potash hauling trucks had BIG front grill guards (nothing would stop those).

It took me a few weeks but did narrow it down to Ranch Hand and where to buy it. The factory is 4+ weeks behind so it looks like mid-April delivery date. Hubby has a pulley system in the big shop and the neighbor is always willing to lend us his Kubota to do the heavy lifting. It will be delivered by truck on a pallet. It is winch ready but that may come later. I am hoping we won't need one right away. It looks big and solid and Ranch hands supposedly outsell the others.

Now, we will be armed against idiot drivers who think you can just slam on the brakes so they can get somewhere a few minutes early. We have extra heavy duty brakes (just had new ones replaced on the front-new for the rear maybe this fall says our mechanic). Glad that doesn't happen very often as it was $400 or $600.

We are ready.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog
25 REPLIES 25

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Jim,
Here is a link to the winch carrier (w/o chrome) which i used as a starting point.
http://www.got-chrome.com/p-3542-62027-warn-trans4mer-winch-carrier-12000lb-16500lb.aspx

I could not find the weight anywhere (I'm sure it was on the box it was shipped in but is long gone). I would estimate the parts and hardware, total that I used, minus the winch itself, weigh about 80-90 pounds at most. This includes the 26K pound cement mixer D rings I welded on the front of the carrier.
There are some great looking aluminum bumpers out there that would certainly be good enough for anyone, and they are lightweight, but just check out the bottom line.
I don't see any reference by you for a winch above, but would council having whatever you wind up with be winch ready...just in case; even if there is just a blank spot up there.
China Freight has a 12K pound winch for 3XX.00 which could be bolted into place.
My Mojave Road buddie, Alex sported a new 17,500 pound rated winch on our trip a few days ago and it has 13mm/1/2 inch wire rope! He welded up his own carrier and had it powder coated. Strictly utilitarian but ready to extract a wayward XTC'er from oblivion.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
jefe 4x4, any idea how much your new bumper weighs? Oh, and does anyone have any thoughts on using other materials like aluminum, for example?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Selecting an aftermarket bumper is a personal thing. The competing requirements are:
1. Cost. I was ready to get a buckstop when the sign-up list was passed around a few years ago but was not happy with the cost v. what you get.
2. Weight. I have had many specialized bumpers on 4x4'a i've owned including a Tomba Burro on my FJ55 which was painted orange and looked like that Oil Rig truck Bryan talked about. The problem was the weight on the front axle with the Warn 8K winch. Most of the aftermarket truck bumpers weigh from 300 to 400 pounds, or more, depending. For me that seemed too much for the Dana 60 front axle assy, which is rated at 5200 pounds. Add the 150 poiund Warn M15000 winch and you may be over the axle rating, especially when you consider the weight is leveraged way out beyond the front axle. When i change out the Dodge unit bearings (grrr!) to a higher rated bearing and hub assy, the defacto rating of that D-60 should improve. My winch comes with a carrier which is a lot of rather flimzy tubes, a very H.D. box the winch sits in, between a couple H.D. sheer plates for deflecting nocturnal bovine intruders. After hitting a bull elk at night in the Nevada desert with my Dodge I could see the need for a tougher front end. Not wanting to add too much to the weight i build my own upgrade which included sched. 4330 thick wall tubing welded in a maze to a Warn brush guard (which in reality won't deflect much) but is kind of a compromise. I also welded some ears on top to hold a larger 'radiator saver' in case a really big bovine comes over the top.I learned to do this from my jeeping dayz in case you get in a bad roll you can still drive away with water cooling.

3. Does it protect you? Is mine as strong as a ranch hand or a buckstop? No way. But it is some amount of front end protection without the weight penalty. Notice i clearanced the outer stock bumper to add a bit of approach angle for larger rocks and wash edges.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
bka0721 wrote:
... (GMC trucks have this thin Radiator in front of the big one.) .

Any truck with A/C is like that - it's the air conditioning condenser.
Trans cooler is mounted in front of that.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
stickbowjoe wrote:
I feel safe against pheasants with my stock bumper, but I am a gambling fool, no doubt.

If giant 300# bumpers make you feel safe, I am all for you.

Heck, I probably carry way too much ammunition.

Joe
Yep, your bumper is safe from a Pheasant, but all that plastic isn't. Boy you should see all the trucks in Texas that have Ranch Hand Bumpers!

An OEM Bumper wasn't for the GMC Pickup that was starting to pass me, on I-70, west of Colby, Kansas, when 2 pheasants busted cover and started flying across the highway, I hit the second one, right in the center of my Ranch Hand Bumper, and the GMC, a few feet behind me in the left lane, took a direct hit to his front gril. It is like being hit by a basket ball, but heavier. He pulled in behind me, on the shoulder, fluid pouring out of his radiator. (GMC trucks have this thin Radiator in front of the big one.) I stuck around until the Kansas HP arrived. Luckily, (GMC guy) he had AAA, as they provided a tow truck. His Pheasant was still inside the grill, as we couldn't get it out, or at least the larger part of it. Mine? It bounced onto the road and was ran over, by another vehicle.

Yep, an OEM Bumper is good protection. ๐Ÿ˜‰

But in perspective, I have never hit a Pheasant, until this one. But, a year later, I did it again. But this time it bounced across my hood, off my windshield, hitting the lead edge of my Lance Camper, landing in the rack that is on the roof of my Crew Cab.

The Deer? It lived, but that is a story for another thread, as this topic comes up, on occasion.

Those attending the OX14, can inspect my Ranch Hand for rust, feathers and fur. :B

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a buckstop on mine. I put it through a dodge neon a few days before thanksgiving at about 30mph when a high school driver made an illegal turn in front of me. Bent the front frame on my truck a bit, but it was repairable. Couldn't even find a noticeable scratch in the bumper. I went ahead and had the insurance company paint it anyways, so it matches my truck now.

I just installed a pair of PIAA 520 driving lights and PIAA 520 foglights to help the Hella lamps that were already installed in the bumper cans. Still no winch....but it's on the list. Along with a 2" lifted HD springs for the front. Bumper is quite heavy, and winch even more so. I'd love to mount a jack to the front....I already have one on my small trailer.

Here's pics of the lights getting aimed....and the newly painted bumper just prior to light mounting.

2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I feel safe against pheasants with my stock bumper, but I am a gambling fool, no doubt.

If giant 300# bumpers make you feel safe, I am all for you.

Heck, I probably carry way too much ammunition.

Joe
2012 Ram 3500 diesel, dually
2013 Lance 850
Pretty good truck, pretty good camper.
Just Sally (German Shorthair) and me,
full timing, and shooting and catching
most of our meat.

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
805gregg: It is already ordered. No shipping, no WA state sales tax. Still quite a large outlay but we want to protect ourselves. Photos after we, err, hubby installs (I am the assistant who hands off tools and keeps the dogs at bay).

usmcshephard: Fine looking rig you have there. It will look better on a Ford ๐Ÿ˜‰
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
805gregg wrote:
Buckstop is made in Washington, you could drive there and save shipping

If we are talking about the same company, looks like they are in Oregon.

http://www.buckstop.biz/

Buckstop Truckware
1125 Industrial Pkwy
Newberg, OR 97132
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Ranch Hand Bumperโ€ฆbesides protecting the front of the truck its a great perch for the kids pictures:)! Very solidโ€ฆI had it installed in Huston while crossing the country last summerโ€ฆtook four full grown men to do it and they knew what they were doingโ€ฆabout an hour install time. Solid as a rock!!!

2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
That was a frightening accident. i am glad you are okay. We travel in the areas of the Southwest where the extraction industry vehicles are about the only rigs we encounter except for cattle haulers in the fall. We want to be ready for them also. For the most part they are professional drivers but the drive too fast as they have a schedule.

We decided on ranch hand due to price and recommendations on another forum (truck related). You don't see that many on the west side of Washington but in ranch/farm country east of the mountains you do. Ditto for Oregon.

It should arrive by mid-April. The rubber pads for the uprights have been shipped. We bought those in case we need to help some one out by giving them a push

Buckstop is made in Washington, you could drive there and save shipping
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721: That was a frightening accident. i am glad you are okay. We travel in the areas of the Southwest where the extraction industry vehicles are about the only rigs we encounter except for cattle haulers in the fall. We want to be ready for them also. For the most part they are professional drivers but the drive too fast as they have a schedule.

We decided on ranch hand due to price and recommendations on another forum (truck related). You don't see that many on the west side of Washington but in ranch/farm country east of the mountains you do. Ditto for Oregon.

It should arrive by mid-April. The rubber pads for the uprights have been shipped. We bought those in case we need to help some one out by giving them a push.
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Buckstop, here and love it, as rugged as Ranchhand but better looking
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
At the time I was looking at getting an aftermarket bumper, a group on this Forum was putting together another group buy of a Buckstop Bumpers. I seriously considered joining in, but decided not, due to price and shipping costs. What ultimately swayed me, was the quality and value of the Ranch Hand Bumper and no shipping costs (Warehouse in Denver). For the price of a Buckstop, I could/and did, purchase a Ranch Hand Bumper, installation, Warn 16.5 winch for just the cost of the Buckstop, before shipping. While I really liked the looks and reputation of the Buckstop, it was functionality for me. For the Ranch Hand, it works and for the price, it is a winner IMHO.

Pros ~ In five years of use, (even along the west and gulf coasts) absolutely no rust. Heavy quality material used. Fits like a glove to the odd front end fender cut outs of a Ford Super Duty Truck. Protects all of the Plastic front end of the Ford Super Duty from damage. Direct Bolt on application.

Cons ~ Extruded Mesh has bowed from Wind pressure that is located in center portion of Bumper. A heavier Mesh would work better. Extruded Mesh requires cleaning of Pheasant Feathers after 2 separate Bird Strikes. Heavy (But I didn't care, on a F550).

In 2006 my 2003 F350 was hit head-on by a Oil Field Truck, with a big steel bumper, (in a low speed crash when he came over the center lane while reaching for an item on the floorboard of his truck), $12,000 damage to the front of my Ford and scratches to his bumper. In my professional career, I covered hundreds of Car/Truck vs Deer/Black Bear/Mountain Lion/Moose accidents and will say, putting a strong bumper on my new truck was a very high priority. (One was the same Sheriff's Deputy in two separate accidents over a 10 day period in two different Patrol cars, on the same stretch of road) Accidents happen! That is why they call them accidents.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr