cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Really Important truck features. :-)

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
A totally silly, but all too real topic as we are looking at a new pick 'em up next year. Plus it's a slow thanksgiving.

Having the Ford vs Dodge discussion in my head. Solid axle only please and thanks. Both great trucks. Both will do what we need. So what's the big decision point?

Is it payload? No, they both have plenty.
Is it torque and POWER? No. Both will go faster than we need.
Is it style? Nope. I think they both look great.
Brand? Nah.
Reliability? Both draw even in my head. Plus there are lots of other threads about that.

So what is it? I'm almost embarrassed to tell, but it's the real deal... And it's going to swing the deal one way or the other.

It's the stupid radio. Or infotainment as it's now called.

Having been through a couple vehicles, with these things. One 2006, one 2011, and one 2013. One from each brand actually. I can state categorically that any factory installed infotainment thing has a shelf life.

Oh they will work fine. But the tech gets old fast. It's like having a cell phone from the last decade that you can't upgrade.

Our 2006 truck got a nice Sony upgrade, as did my 2015 Wrangler. (UConnect cannot suck enough by the way) Now here's where I bring it around, so stay with me.

As of right now, CarPlay and android auto are where it's at. So that's a must. Advantage Ford. But who knows what's happening in a few years. So Ford takes a piece of technology with a finite life and builds their whole **** truck around it.

That's right, the radio thing can't be swapped out for aftermarket. Totally stupid. Whoever approved that design should be punched in the neck.

Advantage Dodge? Not so fast. Their unit is replaceable, but requires MAJOR surgery and and aftermarket front dash replacement. Again, a punch in the neck should be mandatory here.

TL/DR:

Memo to OEMs infotainment is a short lived technology. Please make them easily upgradeble to aftermarket in the future.

Thanks for paging through the rant and have a great Thanksgiving.
34 REPLIES 34

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, it wasn't a drop in....I had to cut out a metal bracket and it was tricky making room for all the wires, but I got it all tucked in there. The biggest issue was the trim piece for the dash.

Bedlam
It is nice that you have room for a double DIN in a smaller slot. One of my older vehicles also used a 1.5 DIN radio and there was not enough height to fit something larger, so I gained a storage pocket or pop out cup holder using a single DIN radio.

I swapped in a Pioneer AVIC into my Ford. I liked the features, but map updates were costly. I was usually able to buy last year's upgrade for a third of what the current release cost by searching eBay and CraigsList.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
Well be glad youโ€™re not me, owning an older 2nd-gen Dodge which was set up for 1.5-DIN size radios! No one even makes those. I have two choices, a single-DIN with no room for much of a screen, or cut up my perfect dash, which is the nice looking โ€œwoodgrainโ€ one they donโ€™t make replacements for. OK thereโ€™s one more option, the motorized flip-out screen units, but thatโ€™s too clunky and potentially troublesome for me.
I really want that new Alpine ilx 107 with wireless CarPlay, but I donโ€™t want to hack my dash unless I can find another perfect woodgrain bezel to cut first.

You need to look around a little. I had the same issue with the Burb, GM used that funky 1.5 DIN setup. I had a Pioneer single DIN in there for a while that gave me XM, iPod and Bluetooth, but it was tough to navigate. Every menu had a zillion levels.

I recently found out that Metra makes a dash kit that allows you to put a double DIN stereo in the factory spot. The kit is that trim bezel that you see around the radio and instrument cluster, it's the whole piece:

You can see the USB and 3.5mm inputs I mounted on a blank piece below the OnStar controls. This Pioneer touch screen gives me better bluetooth, XM, Pandora, etc., plus navigation:

I also added a color rear view camera that works GREAT for hitching up the trailer. DW also loves it when she has to park the burb in town. I wired the cam so it goes on automatically when you shift into reverse, but you can also command it on anytime from the apps menu. One thing I didn't get was Android car play...didn't really see the point.

Navigation is cool, you can set up different profiles, so I have one for pulling the TT that keeps me off low-clearance roads and anywhere trucks shouldn't go. I also found a "hack" online to defeat the parking brake interface, so if we are towing, DW can use the nav and other functions while we are going down the road.

The ability to update the technology keeps the truck from getting dated, I've got the same functionality now that you would get in a brand new truck.

If you want to upgrade your Ram, look around a little until you find a solution you like. Agree it needs to look factory and not a pile of hot glue and duct tape.

Here is a You Tube video of a guy installing a double-DIN in his 99 Ram.

LAJMINNIEPLUS
Explorer
Explorer
I think those days are long gone with the complexity and variations of todays electronics and displays. Remember the 80s when auto makers went to DIN so that radios could be easily replaced in the standardized radio opening? I bought an 84 SAAB without a radio and immediately bought a Blaupunt unit and popped it into the opening.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
I like the looks and functionality of oem but do wish it was easier to add or change components.

LAJMINNIEPLUS
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to look at GMC or Chevy. Both available with Bose sound systems and 4G LTE if you desire a Wi-Fi hotspot in your truck without using your phone. Duramax of course. All of the 110vac, 12vdc, and USB inputs that you could ever want.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
On my 2015 Ram, UConnect 8.4 AN, if I want to send/respond to a text message verbally, I have to pay a subscription.

On our new Challenger, using my IPhone I can respond or send text's using the voice button on the steering wheel. I never paid the extra fee for the 8.4 thing to keep working.
I may have to have you show me how. I try to use the feature, and it shuts me down, directing me to the pay app. It does offer about 20 different pre-made messages I can use though.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Well be glad youโ€™re not me, owning an older 2nd-gen Dodge which was set up for 1.5-DIN size radios! No one even makes those. I have two choices, a single-DIN with no room for much of a screen, or cut up my perfect dash, which is the nice looking โ€œwoodgrainโ€ one they donโ€™t make replacements for. OK thereโ€™s one more option, the motorized flip-out screen units, but thatโ€™s too clunky and potentially troublesome for me.
I really want that new Alpine ilx 107 with wireless CarPlay, but I donโ€™t want to hack my dash unless I can find another perfect woodgrain bezel to cut first.

See? That's what I'm talking about. The OEMs basically build the vehicle around a piece of technology that has a finite practical life.

I mean there are friggin standards for aftermarket radios. How hard is it for the OEMs to follow them? Argh!

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
I have to say after owning trucks that were the mid grade level and now owning a Lariat I truly enjoy this trucks features and without a doubt go for a higher end truck for my next purchase.

Mine may be available if I like the looks of the 2019 HD LongHorn RAM.:B

I'll be standing in line... :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
I have to say after owning trucks that were the mid grade level and now owning a Lariat I truly enjoy this trucks features and without a doubt go for a higher end truck for my next purchase.

Mine may be available if I like the looks of the 2019 HD LongHorn RAM.:B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Got to have a heated steering wheel.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the radio in my '94 GMC Suburban would be hard to change out, but, it's coupled with a cassette deck with a 5-band equalizer!!!!!!!,,, so don't need to change it out. Being really old-school (towed with a '65 Chevy Van with an 8-track for years), I have lots of cassettes.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)