cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations for Montana, Idaho, Washington

macdale4
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip out to Vancouver Island. Any recommendation on "not to miss things to see and do" in Montana, Idaho and Washington? We are planning on hitting Glacier on the way back.
Thanks.
Dale & Eileen
1998 Lance 945 Legend
2011 Ford F-350, dually, 4 X 4
25 REPLIES 25

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Mt Rainier visitors center at Paradise, then go NW up Hwy 7, I-5, Hwy16 and finally to Hwy101 to hit Sol Duc Hot Springs just past Hurricane Ridge on the Olympic Peninisula. Then follow the Hwy101 loop around and down to Ocean Shores, keep going south with a slight detour to Westport, then stay on Hwy101 south along the coast as far as you want to go before getting off and heading back east.
Some other must-see's out here - Snoqualmie Falls, lunch at the Space Needle, Pike Place market, the EMP (Experience Music Project), and my place... ๐Ÿ˜‰
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Two Pedals wrote:
Drive through Sun Valley,Idaho, Stanley, Challis, Salmon, Idaho. North through Hamilton, MT and the Bitterroot valley to Missoula, then north to Glacier, National Park. The Lochsa River route (Highway 12) west of Missoula is also scenic. Visit Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. Drive the high country route between Cooke City, MT east to Red Lodge, MT just NE of Yellowstone, NP. Lots of campgrounds or boondocking in these areas.

These are very good recommendations. Best compilation I've seen an awhile. Thumbs up here.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
North Cascades might open early this year (Hwy 20)... the drive, views, campgrounds, incredible.

Sun Lakes... more history and interesting info in the close area than most would imagine. Beautiful CG's to boot. Grand Coulee is close to there too.

Mt Rainier is worth the effort. Baker great to play on, but not in the same league.

Tetons are not to be missed. Just completely unbelievable. Eisenhower pass (west of Denver) is for sure underrated. 11,000 ft of great views.

So many towns to visit... so little time. 2 months sounds like alot...it's not. Make the most of it for sure!!
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

32_Chev
Explorer
Explorer
Go through Sandpoint ,Idaho
2007 dodge Ram 3500 Drw 6.7 Cummins,6 speed auto, exhaust brake, Okanagan 116,Air, Onan genset, accumulator tank, fastguns, too much fun stuff.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Save time for both the North Cascades (especially the Mt. Baker area) and Mt. Rainier. This is a shot of Mt. Shuksan near Mt. Baker:

Here is a blog post with a lot of photos:

Northern Cascades

And this is Rainier:

Here is the blog post, with more photos:

Rainier
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Two_Pedals
Explorer
Explorer
Drive through Sun Valley,Idaho, Stanley, Challis, Salmon, Idaho. North through Hamilton, MT and the Bitterroot valley to Missoula, then north to Glacier, National Park. The Lochsa River route (Highway 12) west of Missoula is also scenic. Visit Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. Drive the high country route between Cooke City, MT east to Red Lodge, MT just NE of Yellowstone, NP. Lots of campgrounds or boondocking in these areas.

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
We really enjoyed the area around Stanley, Idaho in the Sawtooth mountains. There is lots of beautiful scenery and some great hiking and water sports there.

Mount Rainier National Park is also worth a 3-4 day stop on your way through.

Have a wonderful trip!!
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

macdale4
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to the Olympic Peninsula, I was thinking more out Spokane way and northern Idaho and Northern Montana. I'm planning on being gone 2 months so I will have plenty of time.
Dale & Eileen
1998 Lance 945 Legend
2011 Ford F-350, dually, 4 X 4

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Visit the Rain forests and Hurricane Ridge on the Olympic Peninsula. Look up on NPS.gov website.
Port Townsend is a good jumping off point for a long day trip to Victoria or take the rig across. Black Ball Ferry runs the Coho to the inner harbor at Victoria.
Go to Grand Coulee Dam and schedule a night to see the laser light show on the face of the dam.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dome
Explorer
Explorer
take time to do the beaches.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have near enough time to see and do all those things.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.