cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

registration

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
If your motorhome is in storage and not ever being used does it still have to be registered?
joe money
13 REPLIES 13

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know. My motor home is more than 10 years old, so it has PERMANENT registration. So does my truck.
I have seen "project" vehicles that sat for years without current registration, and when they finally progressed from "project" to "usable", the owner apparently had no trouble getting new license plates.
I rather imagine it is VERY "state specific". Every state will have their own rules.
California, of course, is one of the worst, with its "Non-Op" status. Which, of course, has a fee of its own!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
That question can only be answered by YOUR own state (or the state that your MH is "stored" at) DMV.

Technically if is pulled off the road and never ever touches the public roads during the rest of the life of the MH in most states you can allow registration lapse..

The problem begins however the moment you pull it onto a PUBLIC road, that is where you MUST register (and have insurance also)..

Honestly there is no "savings" to be had if what you are trying to do is to "skirt around" the DMV rules..

Typically registration is for ONE year at a time so you will have to pay the registration for the year plus any required insurance and in some states to drive on public roads will also require an annual safety inspection..

Some states you will pay property "taxes" on your motor home also..

So to put this plain and simple, if you are only wanting to move your motor home on PUBLIC roads even just once during the year you most likely WILL have to pay for that entire year (no pro rated registration).
No i am not trying to get any discounts or anything at all like that.I just wont to tell the dmv the reason for the gap.The only thing is that i dont know if this is gonna be ok with them or not.That is why i am asking to try and get a better understanding about it before i get hit with expenses just simply because of ignorance.
joe money

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
In Indiana you cannot have gaps in the registration either. If you have gaps, when you finally register, you PAY!

I'm not positive but when we moved from Kalifornia to Idaho Cali kept trying to bill me. The only way I could get them to stop was to register it in Idaho even though it was off highway for almost 2 years when building the S&B house.
I love the way they (states) list the payment rates, ie on time, 30 days after, 60 days after etc. Guess there is no "park models" any longer. Next thing they'll be taxing our tea :B
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
That question can only be answered by YOUR own state (or the state that your MH is "stored" at) DMV.

Technically if is pulled off the road and never ever touches the public roads during the rest of the life of the MH in most states you can allow registration lapse..

The problem begins however the moment you pull it onto a PUBLIC road, that is where you MUST register (and have insurance also)..

Honestly there is no "savings" to be had if what you are trying to do is to "skirt around" the DMV rules..

Typically registration is for ONE year at a time so you will have to pay the registration for the year plus any required insurance and in some states to drive on public roads will also require an annual safety inspection..

Some states you will pay property "taxes" on your motor home also..

So to put this plain and simple, if you are only wanting to move your motor home on PUBLIC roads even just once during the year you most likely WILL have to pay for that entire year (no pro rated registration).

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
In Indiana you cannot have gaps in the registration either. If you have gaps, when you finally register, you PAY!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
Check with you insurance company.....Most REQUIRE a current registration to be insured.

The '65 Falcon in my carport is fully insured, and hasn't had tabs since 2005. Insurance company is Safeco.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Check with you insurance company.....Most REQUIRE a current registration to be insured.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info.I have it registered it in nc back in 2011 and renewed it in 2012 but their is a gap between 2013 and current where it has not been registered but the insurance has been maintained.I will be moving to ky and this will be my excuse for the gap.
joe money

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
In Colorado, you get to pay a late fee for each month that your registration lapses - regardles if the vehicle is being driven or not. Our registration fees are some of the worst in the nation.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

msjdbman
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on local or state regulations. Here where I live, any motor vehicle not stored inside needs to be properly licensed. Sure, there are localities that do not enforce this...but many do.
2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what you mean by "still registered", but if you mean does it need current tabs as far as the State is concerned:

Dunno about your State, but in mine (Washington) current registration is only required if a vehicle is using public roads. One can let a registration lapse for years, then go in and "renew", paying just for the current year. Gonna do that if I ever put my '65 Falcon wagon back on the road...

No penalties for lapsed years, but reregistration is tied to original month/day, so one can lose a few months that way.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably depends on 'where' it's being stored... A commercial facility may require current registration on vehicles so they just don't store someones 'junk'... But, if you are paying the storage fees, I don't think that would matter to them??

If you are storing on the street, I'm pretty sure you have to have it registered.

If you are storing it on your own property, you don't have to have it registered, since it's on your own property..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
you may want to ask in the motorhome forum.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman