cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running 19.5" wheels; what about the spare?

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a set of Rickson 19.5" wheels recently and currently shopping for tires. In the meantime, I've been reading up about the 19.5" option and it would seem Rickson's website does not find having a spare as necessary.

Rickson wrote:
Getting a spare is not necessary, however, if the spare is worked into the rotation pattern, then the set will last that much longer. It's not a good idea to leave the spare under the truck and never run it, as the rubber will dry rot and the spare may not be any good when you need it. In most cases, the 225/70R19.5 is the only size that will fit in the factory spare location, although some 245s will fit. We recommend getting a spare if it will give you peace of mind, or if you plan on traveling to Alaska or Mexico.

So I'm wondering what other 19.5" wheel owners are doing about their spare tire? Do you carry one? If so, is it rotated or changed regularly to avoid a dry rot and worthless tire?

From my research, 19.5" tires are fairly available while out on the road. My insurance covers roadside service. There are several commercial tire dealers that are capable of dispatching and installing new tire in the field.

If I had a flat, I wouldn't attempt to change it anyways, that's why I got roadside assistance with my policy. Whether I'm towed in, a tire replaced on the spot, my spare installed or any other options I'm not thinking of, I do not think it's a safe option to try and fix a roadside flat without assistance.

Follow-up question;
How many 19.5" tire owners on their truck camper have had a flat while on the road? How did you handle the situation?
77 REPLIES 77

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
I kept the stock 17" spare. If needed I figure I will just limp in. If it is a rear tire I will move a front to the back and place the 17" on the front.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is picture of truck with spare on front. Don't think I took picture of bracket.

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:
Superduties have extremely strong front hooks.
When I needed to move weight on my F250 I manufactured a bracket for spare wheel, that with 1/2" plates and 3/4" bolt clamp front hook.
It obstructed headlight a bit but not to degree that would worry me.

Can you post a picture?

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Superduties have extremely strong front hooks.
When I needed to move weight on my F250 I manufactured a bracket for spare wheel, that with 1/2" plates and 3/4" bolt clamp front hook.
It obstructed headlight a bit but not to degree that would worry me.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Went to Glacier NP two years ago. Traveled many miles on paved roads with no cell service before passing through towns with phone booths. I'll keep a spare handy, thanks.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can add a hitch to the front that you can buy on etrailer or have a local hitch shop add. I don't think I would mount on the front bumper directly.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 16" spare on my F350 with 19.5's but would like to move it to
the front bumper but can't seem to find a bumper mount.
I don't have a hitch on the front, anyone know of place to
get one? Or do you have to make one?

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my wheels from Rickson but I bought (5) 19.5 wheels and thus have a 19.5" spare.

Got the Michelin XZE tires. Load range (H).

Enjoy the road. We do.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

Moose10
Explorer
Explorer
allygerry wrote:
I carry my 16" OE spare with 8 lug nuts just for peace of mind. If I needed to use it I would install it in the front no matter where the flat was and make sure I had the 19.5's on the rear axle. The reason for carrying the spare is because we are not always in an area where road service would be available.

I do the same thing...works great, but never had a flat with the 19.5's either.
2001.5 Ram 3500 4x4 QC Sport ETH/DEE
on Vision Hauler 19.5's
'06 Arctic Fox 1150
'09 Nissan Murano S
'14 Ford F-150 FX4
'03 Polaris 700RMK VE, MBRP can
'04 Polaris 600RMK VE
'04 & '05 Suzuki Eiger 400's

KansasKen
Explorer
Explorer
Bought set of Vision wheels, the inner wheel on duals is steel, bought an extra steel wheel and Michelin dealer had a good used tire. Placement is where the normal F350 spare is, though very tight fit behind supertruss hitch. I carry a 12 ton jack, right sized deep socket and breaker bar, so if I need to change, and hope I don't, I have what I need to do the job.
2011 Host Everest Triple & F350 Crew DRW 4x4 Diesel (both loaded see profile)

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Not going off pavement takes a whole lot of fun out of having a TC...just be prudent in your decisions. I go off all the time, had some great adventures. Not even 4x4, too!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
If you have those kind of toys and don't think its a "safe" option to change a tire if you have a flat, prolly ought to examine where you plan on taking the off road toys.

I wish everyone well who THINK changing a flat on a top heavy 11,000+ pound truckcamper is a safe venture. It's not and not respecting the risk is going to get you hurt or worse.

These aren't off road toys. I said they were for unpaved routes. They are means of getting around a local area without having to haul, unload my camper or break camp to do it. I try to not take my TC off pavement if possible.

I totally get guys who take their campers off road. I don't but that's just me. I prefer to not take the camper off pavement, but I will if I think the road surface is a good one. An example of a road surface that is NOT a good one is the road into Bodie, CA Bodie is a ghost town that's well preserved and a California State Park. The last 3 miles is a dirt road. I tried and made it maybe 1/2 mile before turning around. It was too full of pot holes and I felt my rig was flexing way too much. I unloaded the trail bike and off we went!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Carry a spare doesn't mean it has to be a 19.5 spare. ๐Ÿ™‚ As I noted, you could always use a non-19.5 in a pinch. Personally though, I don't get to excited about the ability to change a tire on a RV vehicle myself. Sure, it is possible to have a flat out of cell phone coverage, but what if you have two flats. Ok, you carry two spares, what if you have 3 flats, and so on.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
These things are supposed to be able to retread. Anyone ever get one retreaded? I'd use a retread as a spare if there was a place that has 'em for sale and saves enough money to make it worth it.

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I would never get a re-tread or a re-cap, but that's my opinion. The 19.5" tires that I had were marked as REGROOVEABLE and that's completely different.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
skipro3 wrote:
I don't take my truck off pavement if I can help it. I carry a motorcycle on the front hitch when I need to get around after arriving and am planning to flat tow a Suzuki samurai at some point.

I don't have dual wheels either. SWR

If you have those kind of toys and don't think its a "safe" option to change a tire if you have a flat, prolly ought to examine where you plan on taking the off road toys.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold