cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Problems

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I see a lot of posts on this site and others about problems that folks have with their "new" campers (of all classes).

I wonder how much of this is unrealistic expectations on the part of new RV buyers. As much as it would be nice for RVs to come out of the factory with a failure rate similar to that of automobile manufacturers, is that a realistic hope? Would that make the most basic travel trailer cost in the same realm as a high end motor coach today?

It seems the RV owners with the least number of problems are those who "came up thru the ranks" from tent camping to more complex RVs. The ones who seem to have all the problems are the buyers of large RVs as their first purchase. They are trying to get by without the benefit of the education and experience of working their way up to larger units.

I guess I don't really have a question or a point for that matter. Just rambling.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
58 REPLIES 58

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Well those who have seen my plumbing leak issues know I have had issues with my arctic fox product. However they pale in comparison to issues friends have had with other brands of RV's. Simple fact is no RV maker seesm to have the quality control they had in the past. If you buy an RV you have to be handy. I bought the Good Sam extended warranty and I am glad I did. So far I have been able to fix any issues myself, but there may be others waiting to bite me.

Ontop of that if you buy it from a bad dealer who screws up installing options (all 3 of them in my case) you have double the problem.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Best quality I've ever seen was in a Millennium Coach...........with a $2million dollar price tag! Our Jayco WhiteHawk? They did OK........

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is possible to buiold quality. It is just not happening for the most part. Hafve you seen the Youtube video's from the RV asembly line? Workers running with walls stapling it all together with speed being the priority. Not quality. I have owned a few trouble free RV's like my previous 1958 Oasis. Built by craftsmen who took pride in the end product. The industry should be ashamed. And shame on us for continuing to spend our life savings on this ****! Do you honestly think pre formed walls or rubber roofing or frameless windows is to the advantage of the consumer? No way
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't buy into your premise that a 'newbie' that buys a $50,000 RV doesn't get high quality unit just because they haven't gone thru the process of education & experience.

Whether newbie or old salt, when you plunk down your monies the RV should be expected to perform as intended.

It's called: "Warranty of Merchantability"
To be "merchantable", the goods must reasonably conform to an ordinary buyer's expectations, i.e., they are what they say they are.
The warranty of merchantability is implied, unless expressly disclaimed by name, or the sale is identified with the phrase "as is" or "with all faults."

Folks having their new RVs in for warranty repairs that end up being in shop for 9-13 months are not meeting the minimum standards of 'mechantability'

This is a direct result of mfg's lack of quality control and piece mill work practices.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Small earthquakes. I like that. If you go thru Birmingham, Alabama it's like an 8.7 🙂
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
BTPO1 wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
The best cure for this is being handy and creative and doing most of your own maintenance and repairs and your own, "warranty work."

I stopped running back to the dealer for every fix and adjustment.

Any RV is a house (on wheels) and just like a house, it requires constant and on going attention. RV's are NOT, "set it and forget it."

How true. I personally enjoy fixing things that break on mine. It makes no sense for me to take it to the shop only to have to fix it again when I get it back. JMO
True. However there are a lot of people less fortunate, without the skills or physical capabilities to do the same. RVs may be NOT be "set it and forget it.", but they should at least be road worthy and leak free from the start with all systems functioning properly. It's a shame when people purchase brand new RVs and they are "Fixer Uppers" right from DAY ONE!

It's unfortunate, we don't have the mass importation of RVs like we did the foreign vehicles to SHAKE THE U.S. RV INDUSTRY UP. It sure woke up the auto industry after the junk they all produced in the 70s.

Your foreign import comment is spot on.

One of the biggest issues in the RV industry is the limited number of suppliers to the manufacturers. When you only have a couple of primary manufacturers for items such as frames, refrigerators, ACs, etc, the builders are kind of stuck. Maybe some of the foreign imports could be an alternative to the parts that go into these rigs.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it's a combination. Some people expect perfection, some expect performance, and some take whatever they get. Those in the latter two categories are likely to do some repair work themselves, especially cosmetic issues, and not make a big deal out of it.

Having worked retail, I can say that "display models" get a ton of really lousy treatment. One of the problems with RVs is that pretty much every RV on the lot is a display model. With an auto, you take a quick look, you take it for a test drive, you decide if you're going to buy it or not - you may open the glove box, but not over and over. With an RV, you walk around inside, you open and close cupboards repeatedly, you try out the appliances, you lay down on the beds, you sit on the chairs/couches, your kids are doing the same - you spend a lot of time in the RV getting a feel for it. All that is putting wear and tear on the RV that an auto doesn't get.

Then there is the lack of manufacturing standards and the ability to demand those standards. Since lemon laws came into effect, a poorly made auto is no longer "buyer beware". The buyer has legal recourse that affects the dealer's (and the manufacturer's) bottom line. This legal recourse is pretty easy to put into effect. By contrast, RVs have no such easy remedy - it's still buyer beware. As more and more people are getting into RVing, manufacturers are pushing out product faster and faster - this speed is creating defects in the quality, but manufacturers see it as "the dealer can correct it on warranty" because they don't face the same risk of having to buy back the RVs under lemon laws, etc.

Then there is the expectation that an RV's interior should hold up the same as a house's interior. Many people forget to realize that an RV's interior is subject to small earthquakes on a regular basis - that will affect the durability of cupboards, trim, etc.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
BTPO1 wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
The best cure for this is being handy and creative and doing most of your own maintenance and repairs and your own, "warranty work."

Any RV is a house (on wheels) and just like a house, it requires constant and on going attention. RV's are NOT, "set it and forget it."

How true. I personally enjoy fixing things that break on mine. It makes no sense for me to take it to the shop only to have to fix it again when I get it back. JMO
True. However there are a lot of people less fortunate, without the skills or physical capabilities to do the same. RVs may be NOT be "set it and forget it.", but they should at least be road worthy and leak free from the start with all systems functioning properly. It's a shame when people purchase brand new RVs and they are "Fixer Uppers" right from DAY ONE!

It's unfortunate, we don't have the mass importation of RVs like we did the foreign vehicles to SHAKE THE U.S. RV INDUSTRY UP. It sure woke up the auto industry after the junk they all produced in the 70s.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I did most issues that arise on our also, but while the is under warranty I make a list of major issues and take the unit back before the warranty expires and the dealer handle it.

Our PDI was beyond expectations. The dealer did a fantastic job of preping the unit. Unfortunately my fresh water tank fell out last month so I made a list of issues and took it three hours back to my dealer knowing when I get it back everything will be corrected properly.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:

Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
We went to look at an Arctic Fox brand new 990 last year. It had been on the lot for about 8 months.

So, I am inside, and the cupboard door is ajar under the sink. I try to shut it, it does not shut. A closer look reveals the pin on the swinging door is out of whack with the clasp. So many people have tried to close that door that now the wall has a big gouge in it.

Oh, they say, we fix all those things before you take it off the lot. Well we walked away. I think if they are trying to sell a unit it should be in the best possible repair whether new or used.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a few gigantic oops that go out the door. Some of which are down right scary.

However bulk of the 300,000 TT and 5vers are what the customer base is satisfied with

Automotive quality is high because it is what the market demands. Sad to say that much of the auto quality was driven by foreign competition.

The auto is a necessity, an RV is a hobby toy. People will accept less from an RV if the cost is right.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of QC issues throughout the industry for sure. I think many of the problems should have been cought during PDI.