cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sales numbers

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
When do you think RAM will overtake Chevy for the #2 spot?
Or do you think they will?

ARTICLE

Seems the experts think it might happen. Heck of a come back for an automaker than almost didn't exist 5 years ago...

From the article -
"Never before has (General Motors) lost share after launching a new pickup truck platform," Barclay's analyst Brian Johnson noted last month."
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
29 REPLIES 29

Tinnys_Rig
Explorer
Explorer
When I started where I work 7 years ago there was one Dodge owner, now there are 13.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
parkersdad wrote:
Then there is me I will take a Cummins diesel motor over anything in any truck. That's just my opinion though. Everyone enjoy what you have as the big three are making better trucks than ever.

I bought my 98 because of the Cummins. Thought the truck would fall apart around the engine. I was so wrong. The truck has been very solid with 380K so far.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I think if you like your truck you should be able to keep your truck PERIOD!!

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

djcjc
Explorer
Explorer
Any of the new trucks will do what you want them to do if equipped right. I have driven all brands and sizes over the years with work and my personal vehicles all with different purposes. I hope they all do well so we can continue to have choices. I was a chevy guy for years but swithced to dodge in 04 because I liked the style of that truck now have a 12 3500 ram dually mega cab 4x4 Dsl Laramie and I and the DW love it. Pick what you want, drive what you want, and tell everybody that yours is the best. We all win. Dont know who will be number 1,2 or 3 but I hope they all sell enough to stay in business.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
When do you think RAM will overtake Chevy for the #2 spot?
Or do you think they will?

ARTICLE

Seems the experts think it might happen. Heck of a come back for an automaker than almost didn't exist 5 years ago...

From the article -
"Never before has (General Motors) lost share after launching a new pickup truck platform," Barclay's analyst Brian Johnson noted last month."
Never.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

parkersdad
Explorer
Explorer
Then there is me I will take a Cummins diesel motor over anything in any truck. That's just my opinion though. Everyone enjoy what you have as the big three are making better trucks than ever.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
While I agree with a lot of what monkey44 said, the horsepower difference did influence my choice. The fact that the RAM 6.4L Hemi has a 50 hp and 49 lbs-ft of tq advantage over the GM 6.0L gasser eliminated the GM from my shopping list when I was looking to buy a new HD gasser truck.

The Ford was eliminated because I just didn't care for the overall feel of the truck and the lack of the tech features the RAM had.

I will agree with the last paragraph though too - numbers on paper mean less when the rubber meets the road. The actual performance is pretty close.

You just answered the question to why the horsepower war. It seems to be a recurring theme here for some; "I would rather have better fuel economy than more HP". But the reality is, power speaks in marketing. Maybe the lower HP truck would actually be better if mated to a better trans or power curve. I don't know, but if there are enough consumers eliminating an option because it did not make the first cut this trend will continue. I am not saying it is wrong or someone is wrong using this method. Only it is a reality in the way we evaluate our purchases.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I agree with a lot of what monkey44 said, the horsepower difference did influence my choice. The fact that the RAM 6.4L Hemi has a 50 hp and 49 lbs-ft of tq advantage over the GM 6.0L gasser eliminated the GM from my shopping list when I was looking to buy a new HD gasser truck.

The Ford was eliminated because I just didn't care for the overall feel of the truck and the lack of the tech features the RAM had.

I will agree with the last paragraph though too - numbers on paper mean less when the rubber meets the road. The actual performance is pretty close.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
My opinion - we test drive, we compare dollars, we buy the truck that fits our needs. A lot of these 'figures' mean less than the actual use factor.

Brand arguments are just that, brand arguments. All these truck get upgraded as the engineering develops over the years, and as regulations change.

We just bought a new 2015 GM - 2500HD 4x4 - I also drove a Ford 250, but not a Dodge (don't have a reason, except don't like the look as much) I was really thinking I'd change to Ford based on price and options and abilities, until I drove it - much rougher ride and felt like I was driving a tank compared to the GM. All things considered, price, power, ability to haul TC and cargo/toy trailer, the ride was simply smoother in the GM, and by A LOT.

We spend a lot of time in our trucks (All of us RV'ers, not just us here) and that means we need comfort as well as function. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any new truck, you'll choose what you choose just to fill your own personal needs. In the big picture, we choose what we like, not just what the numbers say.

I can't imagine any new truck buyer choosing a Ford over a GM or a Dodge, for example, just because one or the other gets .5 mpg more, or has 10 more HP - it makes no sense - maybe 2 or 3 mpg if you travel a lot, and all other needs are met.

In the real world of 'truck driving and RV hauling', those numbers mean very little. All compare under extremely controlled situations, and never under the individual conditions each of us encounter. Every test team sets up the driving situation or testing situation to make that specific design perform to the top of its potential.

When it comes time to actually write that check, we all buy what we like for different personal reasons, and the performance numbers mean very little because in 'truck driving reality', all those performance numbers end up pretty close.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
A low top line number HP truck may put out more horses at lower RPM's than your high top line HP engine. All depends on the torque curve.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I'll take high HP with good gas mileage over low HP with good gas mileage anytime no matter what the RPM is.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
HP is only good at RPM's people travel at. What RPM does the Chevy 5.3 make 355 HP? 5600RPM? Top line numbers are meaningless unless you run your truck over 5K.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
parkersdad wrote:
NJRVer wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
GM keeps with proven , dependable designs, that are on the top with mpg figures.

Say what?

LINK

Compare 6 bangers with a Chev V8? Only close one is 5.7 Ram and 5.3 Chev. Maybe should go by HP comparison. Example: 300hp Ram vs 300 hp Chev vs 300 hp Ford.

The problem is Ford and Ram are way above 300 hp. There is no comparison. Go drive them and you will see.

Chevy 5.3 V8-355HP. 6.2 is over 400HP. Look up the stats at chevy.com

parkersdad
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
GM keeps with proven , dependable designs, that are on the top with mpg figures.

Say what?

LINK

Compare 6 bangers with a Chev V8? Only close one is 5.7 Ram and 5.3 Chev. Maybe should go by HP comparison. Example: 300hp Ram vs 300 hp Chev vs 300 hp Ford.

The problem is Ford and Ram are way above 300 hp. There is no comparison. Go drive them and you will see.