cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scissor stairs

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
My stairs are starting to feel unstable. I have them for 10 years. Is there some maintenance I should be doing? I have tightened the bolts at the top. It is a 6 step set of stairs. I can't see a name but I want to say it was a Tork lift but I am not sure. If they are at the end of their life which set of stair do you like? I like those new legs that Tork lift has come out with. Anyone have those?
26 REPLIES 26

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
To the OP, IF your steps were Torklift they do have lifetime warranty, the horizontal bars at step ends would be doubled capturing the verticals. 10 years, I'm not sure what or if they made before introducing the 'Glowsteps'.

Otherwise an even older thread- rebuilding single bar steps (though he ended up with Torklift Glowsteps)
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27151303.cfm.

If you replace, though the Landing gear would be nice, (I made mine adjustable so can attest to usage/desirability of that function), switching to the 8" tread is simply IMO night & day difference using the 6".
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
rutzbeck wrote:
My stairs are starting to feel unstable. I have them for 10 years. Is there some maintenance I should be doing? I have tightened the bolts at the top. It is a 6 step set of stairs. I can't see a name but I want to say it was a Tork lift but I am not sure. If they are at the end of their life which set of stair do you like? I like those new legs that Tork lift has come out with. Anyone have those?

Yes. See http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27929418/gotomsg/28511578.cfm#28511578
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
I have the torklift glowsteps also. I did have some problems with the installation, but they were great in helping me solve the issues. Excellent customer service. Since then, they seem rock solid. Of course, it's important that the bottom step be on fairly level ground, and that they steps be fully extended.

bobbolotune
Explorer
Explorer
rutzbeck wrote:
I like those new legs that Tork lift has come out with. Anyone have those?

My Glow Steps are rock solid (without any modification). Top quality. I got the wider steps option.

The legs you refer to. I think they are called landing pads. I considered those but my RV dealer said they are not necessary. So I decided to start without them and possibly add them later. Then using the steps without the landing pads I have decided not to upgrade because the steps without landing pads are fine and the landing pads would only be more gear to carry around.
Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like covered wagon, I too replaced all of the bolts, and used self locking nuts so I could adjust the tightness on occasion.

My steps (four) have been used on my TC since 1988.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I made mine more solid by replacing all the bolts and nuts. I don't know how it did as the bolts are the same diameter. However, I did go to stainless steel with the threading not as far up the shank. It helped a lot and the ss looks much better.

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I installed Glow Steps last season and they are not as solid as they look.
I hesitate to make holes for railing, not to mention the railing is not cheap, but I think on long run that will be necessary.

really, do they move or something? ours are definitely rock solid. i'm 240 and we have two 170 pound dogs that run up and down them all the time and i'd never call them unstable. can't say i wouldn't mind a railing or a hand hold on the camper but i wouldn't say it's necessary.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed Glow Steps last season and they are not as solid as they look.
I hesitate to make holes for railing, not to mention the railing is not cheap, but I think on long run that will be necessary.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You could also try Torklift's Glow Steps. They make great stuff with very good support.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
For my wife's sake we switched to a Little Giant step ladder. It's a little more trouble to store, but now that we've had them for a year I wouldn't even consider switching back. And they are extremely handy around the campsite.

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
Great I will try that. Thank you

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
If they are riveted, take two hammers using the heavier one as the firm stop,and the lighter to tap and go over all the rivets one tap at a time.
Adventure before dementia