cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seeking Advice re Purchase of Used Tow Vehicle

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Weโ€™re shopping for a used truck for a tow vehicle & second vehicle. We have a used TT in mind to purchase after we buy the truck -- a Jayco 256rks (apparently last year of production was the 2012) --a 28โ€™ TT, dry tongue weight of 680, dry weight of 5690, GVWR of 7500. So of course we are are being realistic and plan on 7000 to 7500 lbs loaded for camping.

We want a crew cab, short bed, 4WD, gas. I would like factory tow package with related differential gearing & HD cooling (we live in the desert), The truck wonโ€™t get very many miles put on it per year, so a bit older is fine, but it must be in well maintained condition because of the extreme hot climate we live in, and towing duty in this climate. We would like to keep the purchase cost in the budget range of $8,000 - $12,500 if at all possible.

With so many on this forum who have so much experience towing and with trucks, I would like a bit of information and advice for those who wish to share. Iโ€™m wondering how and where do I find the factory specs for used trucks? Specifically, I will want to know what ratio rear end, whether it has OEM tow package, an upgraded transmission cooler, and/or a larger optional radiator, and payload. Do I have to take the VIN# and run it somewhere to find out how it was factory equipped? Should all trucks have the yellow sticker with payload, etc., and where is it usually located? If the yellow sticker is missing, how does one find out payload?

We prefer half ton if we can find one that has adequate specs for our needs, though we would consider a ยพ ton if it is deemed necessary. I have owned a Ford van with a V10, and know the quality of that engine, but would rather get by with a V8 if possible, due to the difference in gas mileage.

I want to avoid any engine or make with a history of cooling problems, again due to our climate.. I would be interested in engine recommendations. I would like a used Ecoboost F150, but those debuted in 2011 so are still out of my price range. It seems like I have read that the Ford 5.4 V8 is not that powerful of a tow engine -- is that correct or no? How is the Chevy 5.3? Iโ€™m not averse to the Ram with a 5.7 V8, but one thing I donโ€™t like about the Ram is that the crew cab is not as spacious as we would like, and the Mega Cab seems to bring quite a premium, plus I donโ€™t much care for the looks of the Mega Cab model. However, the Ram is still a consideration. Weโ€™d be interested in a Toyota Tundra if it had the necessary payload, but the resale on those probably put them well out of our price range.

For payload purposes, when we go camping, myself and the wife weigh 300 lbs combined, plus a 65 lb dog, plus the typical camping equipment we would put in the bed of the truck. I would of course use a weight distribution hitch, and would like to move the two 6V batteries I have on our present TT, to the Jayco 28โ€™ TT. The battery box I have for the two 6V batteries is thick heavy duty plastic, so not much weight added there, but obviously the two 6V batteries add weight over one 12V battery -- Iโ€™m going to say add 100 lbs to the tongue for the battery switch out.

If any of you can shed light on my questions about a truck selection, and/or how to get the real OEM specs on used trucks, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
27 REPLIES 27

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
GM trucks have build codes on the glove box door. Do a search and you can find listings explaining each one.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
Redsky wrote:
If I were looking for something to haul a 6,000 lb load it would be a Toyota Tundra with the crew cab. Nothing worse than having a tow vehicle break down while you have a trailer in tow. It complicates things immensely and spoils the trip. I have put many hundreds of thousands of miles on trucks and only the Toyota trucks were 100% trouble free and only needed the recommended maintenance be done.

With any 1/2 ton you get a truck frame and that is quite different than the majority of SUV's that have bodies placed over a car platform. A 3/4 ton truck would be a good choice if your tow load was going to be over 10,000 lbs but it is not and would be a waste of money and provide a much harsher ride for you and your passengers.

The brakes on the Toyota trucks have always been the best with no skimping. With any truck I would want to verify that there were disc brakes on all four wheels. To make the assumption that a Ford F-250 has better brakes than a Toyota Tundra would be foolish. Or to even assume that all F-250's have been trouble free in all the other areas that are important for towing including the transmissions and coolant system and brake controller and electrics, etc.

For used trucks the Consumer Reports surveys of thousands of truck owners that is done every year provides good information on the likelihood of repairs and the weak points for various model years. A 2001-2003 model may have cooling system problems that were correct in 2004 and later models and I would want to know this and buy a 2004 or newer truck.

A very common mistake made is to relate one owner's experiences with a single truck or car and extrapolate to the universe of cars and trucks by that manufacturer. Good or bad the information can be misleading.

Is anyone going to take the bait on this one.......
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
If your looking at a F150 you could raise the hood and look for a factory auxiliary transmission cooler. If there is not one there would not be a towing package. There were two levels of towing offered. One has a larger cooler the other a smaller unit. But no cooler = no towing package. Not sure about the F250 or the off brand trucks. The VIN should tell you the whole story.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
Gsturner wrote:
Don't overlook Nissan Titan. I bought an 07 used at 28 k miles in 2010. Just south of 100k now, the majority being towing a 34' Rockwood. Factory "Big Tow" package has trans cooler with guage, 410 rear end. Never got even close to overheating. 9400# tow capacity. Traveled all over country, FL,DC, SD, CO, AZ. Last trip averaged 9.3 mpg (scan guage). Crew cab with back 'suicide doors ' still allows full size bed, big enough to carry my Suzuki GZ250, ramp, a couple of bicycles and cargo box.

Clearly no one has informed you- or your Titan- that what you've experienced is impossible with a grocery-getter skirt-wearing half ton.

The last 68k miles were clearly a figment of your imagination.

:B
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

maxwell11
Explorer
Explorer
we have a 27ft bumper pull Jayco travel trailer.

we took a trip up into the Smokey Mountains this fall with friends.

all I can say, it sure was nice to hear that old Dodge diesel humming along pulling mile after mile up those long mountain roads. Plenty of torque and power when needed.

also coming down out of the mountains with mile after mile, the tow/haul was holding the load back.
My friends chevy 2500 with diesel and Allison trans also did a fine job and he was pulling a 12,500 lb trailer.

so whatever you buy, don't cheap out on the tow vehicle, it's no time to find out you did not buy enough truck when you are coming down a long mountain road with Semi-trailers in front and behind you.

just get under the trucks and look at the difference in the brakes on a 1500 series verse 2500/3500 series

good luck and be safe.

remember: it is important what you can safely pull, but it's super important what you can stop when some fool pulls out in front of you and you have to shut her down.

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
I heartily recommend a 3/4 or 1 ton truck (250/350 or 2500/3500). Once I went over 6,000 lbs., I was very uncomfortable towing with a half ton.

I was not a fan of the '04 Ford 5.4 liter since it had to really spin up (4,000+ RPM) to get uphill at 40 MPH.

Not sure where you are located, but consider using eBay or Cars.com to look out of state. I bought in Texas (land of a bazillion used trucks), flew down and drove it back to Michigan.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

APT
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
We want a crew cab, short bed, 4WD, gas. I would like factory tow package with related differential gearing & HD cooling (we live in the desert), The truck wonโ€™t get very many miles put on it per year, so a bit older is fine, but it must be in well maintained condition because of the extreme hot climate we live in, and towing duty in this climate. We would like to keep the purchase cost in the budget range of $8,000 - $12,500 if at all possible.

...would rather get by with a V8 if possible, due to the difference in gas mileage.

There isn't any towing. Get a 3/4 ton. V10 or GM's 8.1L are perfect for you. All the towing power you want, stable chassis for towing.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
If I were looking for something to haul a 6,000 lb load it would be a Toyota Tundra with the crew cab. Nothing worse than having a tow vehicle break down while you have a trailer in tow. It complicates things immensely and spoils the trip. I have put many hundreds of thousands of miles on trucks and only the Toyota trucks were 100% trouble free and only needed the recommended maintenance be done.

With any 1/2 ton you get a truck frame and that is quite different than the majority of SUV's that have bodies placed over a car platform. A 3/4 ton truck would be a good choice if your tow load was going to be over 10,000 lbs but it is not and would be a waste of money and provide a much harsher ride for you and your passengers.

The brakes on the Toyota trucks have always been the best with no skimping. With any truck I would want to verify that there were disc brakes on all four wheels. To make the assumption that a Ford F-250 has better brakes than a Toyota Tundra would be foolish. Or to even assume that all F-250's have been trouble free in all the other areas that are important for towing including the transmissions and coolant system and brake controller and electrics, etc.

For used trucks the Consumer Reports surveys of thousands of truck owners that is done every year provides good information on the likelihood of repairs and the weak points for various model years. A 2001-2003 model may have cooling system problems that were correct in 2004 and later models and I would want to know this and buy a 2004 or newer truck.

A very common mistake made is to relate one owner's experiences with a single truck or car and extrapolate to the universe of cars and trucks by that manufacturer. Good or bad the information can be misleading.

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Engineer9860 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
If you are hauling more than two people and a TT get a 3/4 ton. Much more stable platform, much stronger brakes, frames, tires, wheels etc. not to mention better resale value

+1.

I'll add that any of the V-8s in the 2500HD series trucks will be plenty for your trailer.

+1 again. 2500HD, towing package, V8.

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
If you are hauling more than two people and a TT get a 3/4 ton. Much more stable platform, much stronger brakes, frames, tires, wheels etc. not to mention better resale value

+1.

I'll add that any of the V-8s in the 2500HD series trucks will be plenty for your trailer.
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

Gsturner
Explorer
Explorer
Don't overlook Nissan Titan. I bought an 07 used at 28 k miles in 2010. Just south of 100k now, the majority being towing a 34' Rockwood. Factory "Big Tow" package has trans cooler with guage, 410 rear end. Never got even close to overheating. 9400# tow capacity. Traveled all over country, FL,DC, SD, CO, AZ. Last trip averaged 9.3 mpg (scan guage). Crew cab with back 'suicide doors ' still allows full size bed, big enough to carry my Suzuki GZ250, ramp, a couple of bicycles and cargo box.
SKP 115048
2016 Winnebago View 24M
2015 Harley Heritage Softail as toad
Retired:
2007 Titan LE with the Big Tow Package
2010 Rockwood 8315BSS
2008 Suzuki GZ 250-Response to 3/4 Life Crisis :C

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II