cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SHANK question

HawkTX
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 23ft trailer and I recently went from a GMC Yukon to a Ford F150/Raptor. The shank and old hitch works fine after some adjustments, but I noticed today I can't open the tailgate without it hitting my tongue jack. The fix would be to go from a 12 inch shank to a 18 inch shank. Not a huge difference, but was curious if others have done this and does it compromise ride, etc.? I've always had motorhomes and 5th wheels so I'm sorry for the NEWB question and thanks in advance for your thoughts. Here is a picture of it with the 12 inch and it rides great. Hate to compromise that, but I would like to be able to open the tailgate while hooked up.

29 REPLIES 29

HawkTX
Explorer
Explorer
lap527 wrote:
I am just glad I re-read the topic...skank was my first read. LOL!

LOL!!!!!

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
I am just glad I re-read the topic...skank was my first read. LOL!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hesitant to add a longer lever connecting the TV to the TT.

There is a company making quick disconnect brackets for tongue jacks. I have the tailgate to jack interference. I'd strongly consider one if I camped more. Of course you'd have to add electrical quick disconnects for a power jack.
Www.jack-E-up.com
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Basic physics will demonstrate that the farther the load is from the rear axle, the less desirable it is. One reason that fifth wheel trailers tow so well is that the "tongue weight" is right over the axle. Reese says to reduce ratings by fifty percent when using a eight inch extension. I relocated the jack four inches rearward in order to open the tailgate and not affect the leverage that the tongue weight has on the tow vehicle. Six inches may not seem like much, but to understand the forces involved,imagine moving it back six feet.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I could find a short drawbar like I had on a Quality S trunnion style WDH many years ago. The welded on head was right up against the receiver. It towed great with no sway control. Just the same, if youโ€™re using a good hitch like a Reese dual cam or Equalizer 4 point, a longer shank shouldnโ€™t be a problem.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Simple fix, turn the jack head 90 degrees.
Maybe.

It depends where the interference is, and what jack he has.
In my case, I had an Atwood, it has a top mounted motor, so it doesn't cause clearance issues. The tailgate would hit the jack shaft. The only solution to that is a longer drawbar.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Simple fix, turn the jack head 90 degrees.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
This likely has a lot to do with tongue weight. For a lighter tongue, likely not an issue - try it and see how it goes. For a heavier tongue, you are increasing the torsion on the hitch which would lessen the actual weight the tongue could safely carry. I'm not an engineer, so I would not be able to try to quantify the difference, but that would be my consideration.

This was part of our discussion some years ago. We had our resident engineer in on it, and some input from hitch manufacturers.
The consensus was it isn't an issue
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
This likely has a lot to do with tongue weight. For a lighter tongue, likely not an issue - try it and see how it goes. For a heavier tongue, you are increasing the torsion on the hitch which would lessen the actual weight the tongue could safely carry. I'm not an engineer, so I would not be able to try to quantify the difference, but that would be my consideration.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I went to a slightly longer draw bar without any issues at all.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
No image.

Could you turn the jack 90 degrees to clear the tailgate?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a 12 to a 18 for the same reason you are thinking of.

The ride got kind of bumpy when lightly loaded. On heavily loaded trips it was fine. Weh had a bitg debate about this here some years back, and the upshot of it was that a longer bar lengthens the leverage point of the bars, making them act stronger. I was going to see if I could adjust the bumpy ride out, but never got around to it (it really wasn't that bad), and got a new truck. When I set it up on the new truck, no bumpy ride. So I believe that it can be readjusted.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Obviously it puts a greater bending moment on the back of the truck (like more weight) which will be more not able with the very compliant suspension of the Raptor.
Not a lot though, guessing the equivalent of 100lbs more at the most.
If youโ€™re running a wdh and notice a difference you can crank up the wdh a bit more.
Either way it is not going to be a major difference.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put a longer shank on my F150 to clear the tailgate; there is no difference in before an after. However, I don't know for sure, but it might be only 3" longer.

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
HawkTX wrote:
I have a 23ft trailer and I recently went from a GMC Yukon to a Ford F150/Raptor. The shank and old hitch works fine after some adjustments, but I noticed today I can't open the tailgate without it hitting my tongue jack. The fix would be to go from a 12 inch shank to a 18 inch shank. Not a huge difference, but was curious if others have done this and does it compromise ride, etc.? I've always had motorhomes and 5th wheels so I'm sorry for the NEWB question and thanks in advance for your thoughts. Here is a picture of it with the 12 inch and it rides great. Hate to compromise that, but I would like to be able to open the tailgate while hooked up.

You could try to go to an 18" shank so you can open the tailgate. It might not tow as nice because now the trailer is another 6" further from the truck's rear axle.

I have always had that problem too so I just lived with it and it never bothered me. I always wanted to get the trailer tongue as close to the rear axle as possible for towing stability.

Try it if it doesn't tow as nice you will only be out the price of the shank.

Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller