cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smell/odor in trailer

sageless
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 33' Crossroads Cruiser TT, that is is pristine condition. We keep it stored inside when not in use. Every since we have owned it, we have noticed a very slight, but distinct odor.

Its not offensive to me, but bothers the wife. We only notice it when we first enter the trailer. When we bring things home that have been in the trailer (even for a few days), we notice the same odor. Anything absorbent like towels, fabric, clothes, etc. pick up this odor.

As stated the odor is very distinct and seems to me to be chemical in nature. I suspect it may be coming from the glue in the paneling or perhaps formalehide used in the paneling or fabrics.

When speaking to people in the RV business, most tell me the fumes from formalehide should be long gone by now.

Any thoughts about what could be causing this? And especially how to get rid of it?
21 REPLIES 21

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If it is not the formaldehyde in the trailer walls, it could be your gray tank is dirty. The smell coming from a dirty gray tank can be really nasty.

Before you store your TT do you flush and clean out both of the holding tanks??

My Rv's never get parked without first flushing out both tanks with a couple of fill and dump load of fresh water. Then I put a bottle of lemon cleaner down the gray and a little bit of water. Same thing with the black after flushing I pour a little bit of black tank chemicals and then some water to cover bottom of both tanks.

I Never put them away without flushing and never put them away totally empty.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
My wife parked a scented candle in the trailer about a year ago. That's the only thing I smell when I first enter.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
something that removes odor is ammonia. put some in a tin loaf pan on the table and leave it in the TT for a day or two. should remove the odor for you

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
sageless wrote:
I have a 2007 33' Crossroads Cruiser TT, that is is pristine condition. We keep it stored inside when not in use. Every since we have owned it, we have noticed a very slight, but distinct odor.

I know exactly what you are talking about, as I've experienced the same issues. The suggestion to use charcoal is great, and remember to open up all cabinets, etc.
Times fun when you're having flies!

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was it smoked in before you owned it?
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
If stored inside, you should be able to leave windows open and get the odor gone. Fabreeze the fabrics, etc. Also put an open bag of plain charcoal briquettes in there (they absorb odors).

Do you use any type of chemicals in the black or grey tanks?

Is it throughout or more in one area?

After back surgery, I had a super powerful sense of smell and taste. I could have found the source for you at that time... it lasted a few months before it cleared up.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know for sure until the odor is isolated. Agree that paneling odor should be gone by now.
Could it be a dead animal?
How about inviting some RV neighbors into the rig to use their nose's. I'm thinking Fresh Wave might help. Fabreeze all the stuffed furniture?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)