cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

South Labrador Coast

leighc
Explorer
Explorer

In 2005, having nothing better to do, I drove the Trans Labrador Highway clockwise from the Gulf of St. Lawrence to Happy Valley, then took a ferry - the blue line - to Cartwright (a road has since been opened which bypasses the ferry route). From Cartwright, we drove the south Labrador coast, took the ferry to Newfoundland and proceeded home via another ferry to Nova Scotia.

This year, during another trip to Newfoundland, we spent a little more time on the Labrador coastal drive.

The ferry to Labrador runs from St. Barbe to Blanc Sablon, Quebec.

This narrative begins at Red Bay and describes a few points south. Advocates of the Labrador Coastal Drive will say this little narrative does not do justice to its splendor. They will be absolutely correct.

Red Bay was a major whaling station in the late 1500s used by the Basques. It was designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO just a few days ago. Itโ€™s a fascinating display put on by Parcs Canada; rather than describe it myself, read about it here.

Looking east across Red Bay. That white thing to the right of Saddle Island in the distance is the obligatory iceberg.

We stayed nearby at the Harbour View RV site which overlooks the bay. This is four 30 amp poles just off the highway....

...right near where route 510 bears left, turns to gravel and proceeds north to Cartwright and Happy Valley.

Driving south from Red Bay, a new section of road takes one to the coast with views of the Pinware river.

The Pinware Provincial Park is a beautiful place to stay; this is a sand peninsula separating the river from the Strait of Belle Isle. We stopped for a short walk on the beach.

Town of Pinware. Newfoundlanders call the white pieces "bergy bits."

The icebergs were plentiful. All the way from Greenland, I read recently this is an exceptionally heavy iceberg year.

We stopped at a lookout over Lโ€™Anse au Diable, a resettled community. In the 1950s and 1960s, the Provincial Government paid up to $1,000 per household and $200 per person to move to areas with better access to roads, services and schools. The plaque reads: โ€œThe resettlement program caused a great deal of social upheaval in the rural parts of the province.โ€

After a quick stop in Lโ€™Anse au Loup for cash at an ATM (Visa/Plus is ubiquitous)..

..we drove on to the Point Amour Lighthouse.

Like I said, the icebergs are plentiful this year. More info about the lighthouse here.

A climb of 128 steps takes one to a breathtaking view of the Strait of Belle Isle. A placard relates an anecdote when Jeff Wyatt, the lightkeeper from 1919 to 1963, was cleaning the fresnel lens on a sunny day and his sweater caught fire.

In the tradition of Clattertruck, our Lance camper from atop the lighthouse.

On the road back to route 510, one can stop to view the wreck site of HMS Raleigh
She was a heavy cruiser of the Royal Navy, whose officers were looking forward to a fishing trip in Forteau in August 1922. The ship was only three years old when she swerved in fog to avoid an iceberg, went hard aground and eleven men drowned. Jeff Wyatt managed to get the rest of a 700 man crew accommodated. The ship was a total loss โ€“ the Admiralty was so embarrassed by frequent photos showing up in the press that they blew her up four years later. To this day, pieces of cordite still wash ashore.

Those dark spots on the rock beach are rusted pieces of the ship.

We stayed in an RV lot across the street from the Northern Lights Inn in Lโ€™Anse au Clair.

The visitors center from the RV park in Lโ€™Anse au Clair, once a church.

Overlooking L'Anse au Clair, one can stop at a memorial to the men of the Labrador Straits who were lost in World Wars I and II.

Able Seaman John C. Barney, Lโ€™Anse au Loup
Able Seaman William Barney, Forteau
Private William Bolger, West St. Modeste
Able Seaman Robert G. Brown, Red Bay
Able Seaman Essau Roberts, Forteau
Corporal William Tracey, Pinware
Cornelius Glenn, Able Seaman, Lโ€™Anse au Diable
Albert P. Letto, Private, Lโ€™Anse au Clair

Leaving from Blanc Sablon for Newfoundland, Apollo boards from the stern.

Election campaigns were in full swing for the Cartwright- Lโ€™Anse au Clair seat. The hot issues were: 1) poor road conditions, 2) lack of cell phone service and 3) Internet access. I can attest to all three.

Once back on the island, we spent more time exploring. Some highlights:

The obligatory whale picture, this one in Bonne Bay. A 30 foot Minke.

Blow Me Down Provincial Park, a short drive from Corner Brook. Excellent campsite โ€“ we were the only people at this beautiful pebble beach.

Boutte du Cap Park, Cape St. George, an hour or so west of Stephenville. We were alone overnight near this monument to the Acadian heritage of the people of the Port au Port Peninsula.

Finally, for those like me who cannot live without the Internet, the public libraries of Newfoundland all have free wifi. This one is in Port Saunders, near Port au Choix.

More info, including lat/long for the GPS addicted, can be found here.
'04 Lance 835. '02 F350 Diesel SRW 2WD
13 REPLIES 13

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
and last question is do you need a reservation to take the ferry from Labrador to NFLD ?

The ferry (Apollo) is a rag tag outfit to say the least, the boat is dirty and not large enough for the amount of traffic carried, there is a lot of truck traffic. They give you a number handwritten on a piece of paper for your loading number, on the Quebec side you line up at a small building with almost no room to park. After trying to get your number they don't pay any attention to it and load the boat the way they want to.

If your rig is dual wheels or a 3500 series truck etc they will charge you the commercial rate, even if you are an RV.

Reserve well in advance and hope the staff will observe the reservation.

It is quite a comical operation......
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
richardg40 wrote:
Just a question or 2 : How far apart are the villages to gas up etc on the Labrador hwy ? . how were the roads ? How much traffic is there lets say if a person has mechanical problems etc . No cell phone signal ? and last question is do you need a reservation to take the ferry from Labrador to NFLD ?

Thanks for any help . This would be a nice early fall trip .

From what I (a former resident of NL for 24.5 years) hear from current contacts.

You can go to google, select maps, put in names of towns. Now, I told you Leigh was thorough. He contacted the towns municipal websites and got copies of their local newspapers. As his map shows he did more than coastal Labrador.

I`d get gas a Blanc Sablon, Cartwright, Happy Valley - Goose Bay, Labrador City, one of the Manic sites, and Baie Comeau. This is much more than you need, but it covers in unexpected.

Always consult with locals re. what is good to do at the time you are there. Given that Red Bay has become a World Heritage Site, things to see re. whaling in the 1500s, I`d give Red Bay 2 days.

The section of road between Cartwright and Happy Valley - Goose Bay did not open until 2009. My trip was 2006.

Especially check for special days. Regatta Day in Labrador City means Regatta, just regatta. I think the information people had to call a gas station for me to get gas. It was a fluke I caught them. Everything else was closed.

Also, in the section called RVing in Canada and Alaska (see Jump to ... Frame top right), there has been recent thread on Labrador.

Re. ferry reservation, yes, I`d make sure you do that. Conditions change and reservation help deal with that.

Now, future stuff. Look down the left side of this page, http://www.roads.gov.nl.ca/cameras/ Marine Atlantic, ferry services, road construction, weather alerts......

I believe Leigh bought a card for his cell phone in Canada. Call from near towns. Mechanical problems, largest towns Labrador City, Happy-Valley Goose Bay. People live in these places year round.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Bigfootchevy
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent story and pics. I am planning this trip soon. Paul

richardg40
Explorer
Explorer
Just a question or 2 : How far apart are the villages to gas up etc on the Labrador hwy ? . how were the roads ? How much traffic is there lets say if a person has mechanical problems etc . No cell phone signal ? and last question is do you need a reservation to take the ferry from Labrador to NFLD ?

Thanks for any help . This would be a nice early fall trip .

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad III
Nomad III
That is pretty and enjoyed the tale.
J&K

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
Great Trip Report and Photos, Thanks for posting, I have never been to Labrador before. One of these days, I will make it there and Newfoundland as well.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

GMCPU53
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for a great trip report, very informative and super great pics. Hope to make it there someday.

Joe
2011 Silverado 3500HD LT4x4 Ext.Cab L/B SRW
2008 S&S Montana Ponderosa 8.5 FBSC

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Thankyou, cool pics. Like the bergy bits :

5percent
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip report! It is wonderful to see a completely opposite part of the country...and it is lovely!
Thanks for posting!

5percent
06 Ford F-350 diesel DRW Crew Cab 4X4
06 Bigfoot 25C10.6

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Leigh, I remember you from back when. & that you did one of the most thorough preparations that I know about. & that was when I was a Newfoundland resident.

For some updates.

2009 the last section of the modern Trans Labrador Highway was opened.

Just this past week Red Bay was named a World Heritage Site, although I saw no mention of Dr. Selma Barkham, who did the research into Basques commercial dealings when Red Bay was an active site to prepare whale oil to sell in Europe. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2013/06/22/nl-red-bay-labrador-world-herit...

My own photos of my 2006 trip are linked in my signature

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic trip report on a region that perhaps only 1 in a quarter million North Americans per year will ever get to see via driving this route!

Quebec/Labrador/Newfoundland are immense mostly empty territories at about ~2 million square kilometers-- ~ 1/5th the size of Europe.

Silver-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Those pics brought back some fond memories for us. We also did this trip in our Lance truck camper. We enjoyed several great hikes while in Labrador and also saw lots of ice bergs. We hope to repeat this trip in the next couple of years
in our soon to be delivered Triple E Regency Class C.

Thanks for sharing your pictures -- saved me looking for ours!

It was just announced a couple of days ago that Red Bay has been declared an official World Heritage Site. Congratulations to them.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip report, thanks!