cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stabilizing when at site

cccougar
Explorer
Explorer
We recently bought a 31 foot with a slide and have noticed some considerable bouncing- like on a boat- when people move around. This is our first tt so this is new to us. I do have automatic stabilizers in the front and back but they do not seem to help all that much. Just curious as to what others do. I saw on our last trip that someone had the chocks that were shaped like an "X" in between the tt tires- is this a good method?
Thanks for some insight.
25 REPLIES 25

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
My TT didn't have stabilizer jacks when I got it.

Got four of these with 20% coupon for about $26 each.

HARBOR FREIGHT
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on using a pair of Junk Yard scissor jacks and putting them under the frame and between the wheels to stop the bounce. Did that with our TT and it stopped 99% of the bounce.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Mmwtdh wrote:
I find the less I extend the stabilizers the better they work. I either stack yellow blocks under them or I bought a set of light weight aluminum jack stands that I put under each foot....

Mine is a FW but I noticed this too. Seems like there is a sweet spot in not too loose or too tight that takes too much weight off the suspension. I do believe I'm going to get a couple aluminum stands to put in the axle area. My ultra fab chocks seem to help and one of the other things I like is that they can be padlocked. I have been in some steep sites but also chain and lock through the wheels at those times.

Carrier
Explorer
Explorer
Our 3008 Windjammer was terrible for bounce. Our 10 lb dog felt like a 300 pounder jumping in the trailer. Put x clocks on and it helped a little. Went to the local pick u part wreckers and picked up two of these for $10.00 both had never been used.
I would say 90% of the bounce is now gone.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
my dog panting, laying on the floor shakes my tiny 20 ft trailer, even with all 4 stabs down. he's good at finding the resonance frequency or something. his breathing can also shake my truck and station wagon
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Mmwtdh
Explorer
Explorer
I find the less I extend the stabilizers the better they work. I either stack yellow blocks under them or I bought a set of light weight aluminum jack stands that I put under each foot....

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago many TT's came without the Mor/ryde system for TT handling and towing. Most today have some sort of this system.
One our first 35' I added this system and was rewarded with the better handling but notice the same complaints you have. To correct this I added a scissor jack on each side as close to the tires as I could. This has helped a lot.
On our 40' TT I have done the same thing and am quite happy with the results. We normally don't employ the center jacks for an over nighter but for the long term they are wonderful.
Hope this help. I have no less than 8 years on this concept and am happy.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 29 foot that moves a lot. Even my 2 year old walking around is enough to shake the trailer. I don't have a solution yet. I borrowed X-Chocks to try. I could see the tires moved less with them on, but I still felt it shaking inside.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't want to go the expense of the X-Chocks.

4" x 4" pressure treated, a length of 3/4" black or galvanized pipe & a 3/4" pipe clamp from Harbor Freight. Total cost of about $15

I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Some people have made themselves wood block wheel chocks that tighten between the tires. Cost - a few $$ compared to the X-Chocks.

You have electric stabilizers? Ours are Lipperts and I find they allow side to side rocking of our trailer, more so than our old hybrid with individual manual stabilizers. I'm going to try adding scissor jacks mid-frame.

But it will never be rock solid no matter what you do.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
First, be sure your stabilizers are working and bearing weight. If they are and the wheels are well chocked it's about as good as it's going to get. Bracing the wheels together may help a bit but from what I've heard it's not going to change your life.

For comparison sake, I can feel it in the front when my kids in the rear bunks roll over. These things just aren't super stable.