cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storing WD hitch when parked

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Do you remove your WD hitch head when you are parked?
What do you do with it?

My Curt head weighs about 80# I can lift it ok and set it on the tail gate of my truck but that is as far as it gets. lol

I would like to keep the head and bars out of the weather and out of sight when camped for weeks at one spot

I guess I could get a locking hitch pin and leave it in but it is a nuisance to walk around and when I forget it is a pain!!!

Curt has a sturdy canvas bag I was thinking of finding a way to lock it (not just the bag) to my trailer and leaving it under the trailer tongue.

Ideas??

jesseannie
37 REPLIES 37

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can't close my garage door with the hitch in, so it comes out and just sits on the floor against the wall in the garage. The bars go on the same wall above the hitch on some brackets and just hang there out of the way.

Camping, I put it in the trailer coupler with the hitch lock and the same locking pin I use for it in the receiver.

The bars just go under the trailer. If on dirt, I put the ends on a piece of wood. If on a paved pad, they just go on the paved pad.

I then use a pad lock to lock the chains and the loop on the break away cable to the safety chains just so they don't grow legs and walk away..

All of this takes about a minute to do and it's done..

When it's time to hitch up, all the stuff is right there.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
The hitch never leaves the truck even when not camping. Never had a problem in 6 plus years. Bars go in passthru when camping.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
I made a wood box out of inexpensive 1x12 pine, measured it too fit the hitch, added hooks to store the pins and I store the whole thing in the back of my truck. Nothing rolls around.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
AirSupport wrote:
TexasATM wrote:
I just put mine on the ground under the tongue. It hasn't walked off in 5+ years. I figure everyone in the campground already has one and doesn't need mine anyway.

Almost 70% of beach campgrounds on the west coast have nightly theft problems from local transients. If your stuff isn't locked up, chances are it will be gone by morning, thanks to the tweaker homeless thieves.

My son was MCAS Jacksonville.. tour of duty in Iraq at al Assad in 07.. Semper Fi!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

AirSupport
Explorer
Explorer
TexasATM wrote:
I just put mine on the ground under the tongue. It hasn't walked off in 5+ years. I figure everyone in the campground already has one and doesn't need mine anyway.

Almost 70% of beach campgrounds on the west coast have nightly theft problems from local transients. If your stuff isn't locked up, chances are it will be gone by morning, thanks to the tweaker homeless thieves.

TexasATM
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Jayco 32BHDS

dave_smith1
Explorer
Explorer
When we had a PT I cobbled up a reciever socket that bolts to the a-frame to store the hitch head. Worked great & you can use a locking pin to secure it.

Regards,
Dave & Kristi Smith
----------------------
2013 Arctic Fox 29-5K FW
2011 Ford F350 Lariat
Visit our RV site!

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
I like the old cooler idea. Now I just put everything in the front pass thru and put a solo cup over the ball to cover the grease. Too much blowing sand to leave it on the truck.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Andersen WD hitch and leave the chains and plate connector on the block below the tongue jack. Not only is it a really nice hitch, most have no way to use it if they steal it. If I were staying in an iffy location I might take it off and put it in my TV as I did my previous WD hitches.

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
I use a rifle case to store my bars. My wife sewed in vinyl inserts to allow for the grease on the bar ends. Then I just lay in the pass thru for storage. Most times, the bars are put on the tongue behind the LPG tanks and battery when camping. I have a SUV so when we unhook at the campsite I can keep the big WDH body locked in the Yukon. When not camping, the WDH body is stored in the locked pass thru. My wife even made a vinyl cover for the ball? Works for us!

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
I store my hitch as well as towing mirrors and anti-sway bars in the bottom drawer of a 3 tier horizontal filing cabinet in the garage. torsion bars always get stored in the front pass through storage area.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Like a lot of others. My "handle" is not as fancy as others. It's just a bent 12" nail jammed into an old file handle but it works just fine. I do it like this because I don't like placing all those greasy hitch parts in my front storage area and since I tow with an SUV the truck bed is not an option. Doubt I would want them sliding around in there anyway.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I store the wd bars and shank in one of my TT outside storage nearly all the time I'm not towing including campsites, even one night. No bruised shins or greasy kid fingers. And it's always ready to be used for towing that trailer. I use a different bal mount for towing all other trailers that I store in my garage at home.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)