cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suprised at F250 payload

jeshoffstall
Explorer
Explorer
At the dealership getting a service and looked at several new F250 trucks. Highest payload of those I looked at was 2168- suprised as this is only 300 pound more than my F150, but this seems to be the go to truck in campgrounds, normally with huge fifth wheels. What am I missing?
2017 F150 SCREW, 5.0, 4x4, 3.55 axle
2012 Flagstaff V-Lite 21WRS (Sold) back in the market
Equal-i-zer WDH 1K
Mary Beth (DW)
Kirby & Khloe (camping pugs)
39 REPLIES 39

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you can't look at an F150 and an F250 sitting side by side, each with 2000lbs in the bed, and see why putting more weight one would not be a good idea, and putting more weight in the other is acceptable, I don't know what else to tell you, but I'm gonna try...

You can tell an F150 has about all it wants to handle with 2000lbs on the bed. The F250 isn't even squatting.

Not convinced? Take them for a drive. You will want to park the F150 after about 10 miles, but you would have no issues driving the F250 all day.

The F150's payload rating is to get a stack of lumber home from the big box store. The F250's payload rating is for working all day every day. Yes, the manufacturer does not say that, but common sense will tell you this is true.

Of course the question is why do you see F250s with 5th wheels all the time, right? Well the answer there is because the truck salesman told them it could tow anything, and RV salesman agreed. Luckily the trucks are VERY underrated.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
..and just for fun and enjoyment let me add this.
On our recent vacation, we rented a 2017 GMC Acadia FWD with a 4 cylinder banger.
The payload was 2006 lbs, I was shocked. I was picturing a fiver pinned to the roof of that thing ๐Ÿ™‚
But then I checked the book and the tow rating was just 1000 lbs.

But overall, seriously I was surprised by the high payload number.

Bedlam
My F250 had over 9600 lbs of tire rating using the DynaTrac PD890 245/70R19.5 LRH PR16 and 9000 lbs of rim rating using the Vision Heavy Hauler 81 per axle. The Dana 60 front axle was rated at 7250 lbs and the Sterling 10.5" was rated at 9750 lbs. with my configuration, I could use the full Dana rating on the front axle but only use the Sterling rating up to 9000 lbs due to the Vision rims I chose.

Real world weight on my truck was 4500-5000 lbs on the front axle and 7000-8000 lbs on the rear. Empty wet weight was 4500 lbs front and 2750 lbs rear.

The stock tires and rims on my F250 were rated at 6200 lbs per axle with an option for 7250 lb rated tires and rims that were stock on the F350 SRW.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
The F250 is in a vehicle class limiting it to 10k lbs GVWR. Even if it was identical hardware to a F550, the regulatory class would limit its payload so the GVWR is not exceeded.

What payload is the recommended payload for a F250?Heard some ridiculous numbers
Quoted

LOL...depends on what type of website your on.
Over on a haulers websites a F250 payload is determined by the vehicles axle/tire load ratings.

Most 250/2500 size trucks gas or diesel can have up to 3000-3400 lbs of payload in the bed before exceeding a rawr/tire/wheel/rear spring pack.
Now if the F250 has the camper package/heavy service package the trucks suspension is the same suspension ratings as the F350 SRW.
Most folks know the F250/350 srw can have same platform specs.....just different assigned gvwr number.

More gvwr payload sticker sillyness;
Ford markets F350 SRW with a 10000 gvwr and its computed low gvwr payload sticker....and in the same exact truck between the bumpers can have a 11200 GVWR with its gvwr based payload sticker.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
The F250 is in a vehicle class limiting it to 10k lbs GVWR. Even if it was identical hardware to a F550, the regulatory class would limit its payload so the GVWR is not exceeded.

What payload is the recommended payload for a F250?Heard some ridiculous numbers
Quoted

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
WoodedOne wrote:
I purchased this add-a-leaf kit for my 2011 F250 CC Gas a few years back, very happy with the results:

http://bumpersuperstore.com/i-11539496-pro-comp-suspension-13150-rear-add-a-leaf-kit.html

Don't tell me, let me guess. Now after the 'upgrade" your towing a Mobile Suites.

WoodedOne
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased this add-a-leaf kit for my 2011 F250 CC Gas a few years back, very happy with the results:

http://bumpersuperstore.com/i-11539496-pro-comp-suspension-13150-rear-add-a-leaf-kit.html

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
We like to mix issues that are unrelated. There are a few towing parameters to be concerned with. However they are not all directly related to taxing and road use issues.
Within the towing parameters we have ratings that pertain to safety and ratings that relate to wear and use.
Too often the responses to these threads are filled with so much mixed information that often doesn't pertain to the original question.
This thread is a good example of the mixed info phenomenon.
There is wealth of info to be gained/learned here however sometimes there is too much info from too many varying sources that the conversation becomes too diluted and varied to be beneficial.
The conversation strays off course until we are talking road use tax of commercial vs. non commercial vehicles instead of explaining why a F-250 may have a load payload rating
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Not all states have any or the same weight values for registering or licensing a non commercial vehicle.
My state doesn't use any type of weight.
Some members from other states say they have a gcw (truck and trailer) weight to register their vehicles at.
I asked my area troop captain how they looked at a out of state non commercial vehicle with some sort of gvw/gcw/tonnage/etc on their vehicle registration form/title. He said the department had no way of knowing if a out of state vehicle had the "correct weights" for licensing/registration and that the weight number was for licensing a vehicle in that state.

My state doesn't weigh a non commercial vehicle for a gross weight ....just exceeding axle/tire load ratings.

GVWR/GCWR/payload sticker numbers simply aren't used for a truck or trailers legal/safe load limit.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
That's how it is in Florida. I can register my truck at 7k lbs or 12k lbs GVW. As long as I don't exceed that weight, I'm legal. It's about taxes, not manufacturer's GVWR. Trailer tongue weight doesn't count against the truck as the trailer's registration cost covers that weight.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
The F250 is registered as a Class 2b vehicle. States do not care what the door stickers list - They want to know your actual GVW so they can charge you for road wear.

Haven't noticed that in Georgia.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Bedlam
The F250 is registered as a Class 2b vehicle. States do not care what the door stickers list - They want to know your actual GVW so they can charge you for road wear.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

blt2ski
Powerdude wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

I'm not sure what regulatory requirements you are referring to, but my F250 CC is registered for 12k lbs in my state.

That's the only thing the cops care about.

It barely squats carrying 3k (listed payload 3100 lbs), and I'm sure it could carry more up to the tire/wheel limit.

There are some warranty and performance regs that the.feds.require when coming out the factory.door. BUT as you note, registration wise, all you have to from a SP standpoint, is under 500 lbs per inch.width.of tire, and as noted, paid for registration from a weight standpoint. As that is the max point load the road bed is esigned to.handle.
My 2500 is.goog to 8000 lb, as is my two sons Toyota Tacoma, and Chevy 1500. I can not legally go to door sticker amount.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

I'm not sure what regulatory requirements you are referring to, but my F250 CC is registered for 12k lbs in my state.

That's the only thing the cops care about.

It barely squats carrying 3k (listed payload 3100 lbs), and I'm sure it could carry more up to the tire/wheel limit.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820