cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TC and awnings

gorohoff
Explorer
Explorer
I currently do not have an awning on my wolf creek 850 but with Spring trips in the wet Pacific Northwest I'm considering getting one. I'm curious to hear others opinions on an awning. They're not cheap, so is it worth the cost, or would I do just fine with tent canopy?
-Andrew

"For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled."
-Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot
51 REPLIES 51

Barkoff
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
For those of you that have never had a 10'x10' tent canopy, you really cannot appreciate the versatility. As for portability, about a 12"x12"x5' feet long, including sides for weather and/or bugs.

How tall can those 10X10's fold out to? High enough to be higher than a camper back door?

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I bought this winter to try. I am hoping to attach it to my roof rack and position it over the rear door. Haven't had a chance to try it yet... darn snow.

http://www.kirkhams.com/shelters-shades/kirkhams-auto-canopy/

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agreed.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Reddog1 wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Last show I worked in 2012 had rain the first day and blazing son the next. My rear awning and easy up worked really well in this set up.

That is unfair, you are using the best of both worlds, Awning and Canopy.

Wayne

hey a man is entitled to spoil himself now and again
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Last show I worked in 2012 had rain the first day and blazing son the next. My rear awning and easy up worked really well in this set up.

That is unfair, you are using the best of both worlds, Awning and Canopy.

Wayne

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

214skier
Explorer
Explorer
We are just in the process of ordering a rear awning from Carefree for the back of our Adventurer. Given the odd sizing we can cover about 3/4 of the width and stretch 42" out. Really looking forward to this addition as a sunshade (keep the door open) as well as a transition point for in-climate weather.

Will post photos during and after installation.
2016 Grand Design Solitude 377MB

Wheelholder
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog, if that is an offer for fuel included , I might be able to make the trip from Fl to Ca. haha I agree, it is a lot easier with 2 people. Wife just is not the kind to put out a lot of physical effort. A lot of times her help is not really help (if you know what I mean).

If you happen to think of the site with the screen let us know. Not too sure about doing screws. I was thinking more on the line of velcro, but you never know.
2008 Silverado crew cab Duramax/Allison
2008 Lance 830

EfonFred
Explorer
Explorer
Our TC came with a rear and curbside awning. We have only had our camper since November so all of our trips have been this winter. We have used the rear awning a number of times in wet weather already. Have only used the side awning one day so far but believe that will change as the weather changes this summer. I can certainly see the value of the canopy, it would just be one more thing taking up the back seat space right now that I am still trying to figure out and master.
2011 Ram 3500 Mega DRW
2015 Adventurer 86SBS

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wheelholder wrote:
Reddog, I have tried to come up with a way to put sides on my awning. The way the arms attach to the awning and then the truck, I have not been able to come up with an acceptable method.

I have seen awnings with screens attached, but although I was interested, it was not enough to bookmark where I saw them.

Wheelholder wrote:
Not being too thin skinned (I dont think), but I did not see where I said " you get what you pay for". Perhaps this was directed somewhere else and I misunderstood .
I will have to go back and re-read the post, to see specifically who I was referring to, if anyone. I think it was a general comment, when considering an expensive or less expensive Canopy. Generally speaking, I think the the statement "you get what you pay for" is silly at best. It implies if the price is raised, you get a better product. In my life's experience, a higher price does not necessarily mean a higher quality product.

Wheelholder wrote:
Not sure of our name brand. We looked into putting a waterproofing application on it, but have not as of this time. We have seen a couple more that stated they were waterproof. We just keep learning as we go.

Personally, I question adding waterproofing. How long would it last, and would it be as cost effective as buying a new Canopy that is water proof?

All of us "keep learning as we go", I think a good thing. If not, maybe we should give deep thought as to why we do not.

Wheelholder wrote:
The awning is quicker for me than the shelter. Wife does not really help, so I am on my own.

No doubt, you have a special need, which must be considered. Just because a Canopy works for me, does not mean it works for everyone. The hardest part to putting up a Canopy is stretching it out. It would like to have two or more people, but I have done it myself.

Wheelholder wrote:
Everything is good. No hard feelings.

I sure hope there are no hard feelings, certainly not intended by me, and I have none. This stuff is so much easier to discuss around a campfire.

Wayne

Wheelholder
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog, I have tried to come up with a way to put sides on my awning. The way the arms attach to the awning and then the truck, I have not been able to come up with an acceptable method.

Not being too thin skinned (I dont think), but I did not see where I said " you get what you pay for". Perhaps this was directed somewhere else and I misunderstood .

Not sure of our name brand. We looked into putting a waterproofing application on it, but have not as of this time. We have seen a couple more that stated they were waterproof. We just keep learning as we go.

The awning is quicker for me than the shelter. Wife does not really help, so I am on my own.

Everything is good. No hard feelings.
2008 Lance 830

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally, if I were interested in an awning, I would want an awning that had sides to keep bugs out. That would include something on the TC side of the awning.

I really like the convenience of the awning. As I previously posted, it really depends on your camping preferences.

To setup a Tent Canopy or an awning, there is really not much time difference. This is assuming you are not preparing for a strong wind or bug protection.

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
Wheelholder wrote:
We also have a 10x10 cover. Have used it a couple of times. Found out it was not waterproof after entering one morning with the dew on it and bumped into the frame. Got a rather cold shower.

We also have the screen enclosure to go with it. Bought at Dick's Sporting Goods, I think. Spent 60-7- bucks for it. Comes in the bag with wheels and the screen has its own bag. For our style of camping, it is more trouble than it is worth.

I do not sell the tent Canopies, but I can say with all honesty that you would not have that issue with the E-ZUP I linked previously. It very well could happen with our less expensive Canopy. I really do not like the "you get what you pay for" statement. With that said, there is a difference in Canopies. That is why I have two. I cannot say you will absolutely not get dew on the underside, but I really cannot say it will be any more than an awning.

I have to agree with Reddog,
We bought a screened 10x10 canopy before our trip around Alaska last year, and it was the single best purchase of the trip! It allowed sitting outside the camper at the picnic table, cooking without getting eaten alive by the Alaskan bugs! And yet it folds up in less than a minute!
I bought a Fiamma awning for the side of my Avion, but haven't got it mounted yet...
I wish we could get an awning over the back door, but the shape of the Avion makes that almost impossible...
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wheelholder wrote:
We also have a 10x10 cover. Have used it a couple of times. Found out it was not waterproof after entering one morning with the dew on it and bumped into the frame. Got a rather cold shower.

We also have the screen enclosure to go with it. Bought at Dick's Sporting Goods, I think. Spent 60-7- bucks for it. Comes in the bag with wheels and the screen has its own bag. For our style of camping, it is more trouble than it is worth.

I do not sell the tent Canopies, but I can say with all honesty that you would not have that issue with the E-ZUP I linked previously. It very well could happen with our less expensive Canopy. I really do not like the "you get what you pay for" statement. With that said, there is a difference in Canopies. That is why I have two. I cannot say you will absolutely not get dew on the underside, but I really cannot say it will be any more than an awning.

Wheelholder
Explorer
Explorer

2008 Lance 830