cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC sways jacking up and down. will I ever get used to this?

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely hate being involved in taking off and putting on our "new to us TC". I know that the bit of swaying when taking it off and on is normal, but it stresses me out. I am new at this of course and used to towing a TT... Will I ever get used to this? Or should I just get used to idea of having to have a shot and a beer once the camper is successfully placed on the truck and/or bzck on it's wooden nest.
19 REPLIES 19

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
I never did get used to it even with electric jacks. Was one (of many) reasons I went to a fifth wheel. That was always freaky to me.
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
cool. THANKS

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Wagonqueen Truckster wrote:
1971amerigo wrote:
Good morning Truckster
No different here and I still have the original 3 jacks from 1971.
What I did was I made up a set of the plywood x supports that are as tall as the truck bed. Reinforced them by adding vertical 2x6 to all the edges.
Now when I have to take the camper off the truck it is just a matter of raising it 3 inches to get if off the truck and lowering 2 inches onto the supports

Yea... we have a hug box (nest) my hubby constructed for the renovation. It is almost as high as the truck bed, but the problem is it weighs a ton. Hard for the 2 of us to slide it in and out from under the camper. Do you think there are coaster wheels strong enough to hold the weight of the TC?

Check out: www.castercity.com There are a lot of caster wheels strong enough. Not to long ago two of our TC'ers showed us pictures of excellent home built dollies that carry the weight of the entire TC.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

1971amerigo
Explorer
Explorer
The plywood x braces can be moved by one person
I made 1 for the front and 1 for the rear

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
1971amerigo wrote:
Good morning Truckster
What I did was I made up a set of the plywood x supports that are as tall as the truck bed. Reinforced them by adding vertical 2x6 to all the edges.
Now when I have to take the camper off the truck it is just a matter of raising it 3 inches to get if off the truck and lowering 2 inches onto the supports

Yea... we have a hug box (nest) my hubby constructed for the renovation. It is almost as high as the truck bed, but the problem is it weighs a ton. Hard for the 2 of us to slide it in and out from under the camper. Do you think there are coaster wheels strong enough to hold the weight of the TC?

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Ours doesn't sway much at all but I have not had it up as high as truck level yet. It could be the extra wide stance (about 9 feet and 11 feet between the jacks.) I am guessing most truck campers have the jacks quite a bit closer together.

1971amerigo
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning Truckster

fatmanobx
Explorer
Explorer
Increase your insurance coverage! That will do more for you than anything...
2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Often for peace of mind I run ratchet straps to trees (or whatever else) to keep my camper from being able to fall sideways wben I'm jacking it up. I've had various campers for about 25 years now and have never liked or gotten used to the mount/dismount process.
I'd love a Stable-Lift but they just cost too much. I know I'd use my camper a lot more if I had one though!

I should build one... hmmmm.... I do have a bunch of steel pipe left over from another project...
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
oh and BTW, a good "used" stable lift may be in my near future or, as I suggested to hubby, buy a new truck for our business and make the white one the "engine" so to speak, for our motorhome TC and keep the camper permanently in the bed.

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
What great responses. Woke up this morning feeling exhausted as I had a longgggggggggg day at work yesterday coupled with the fact that I had to remove the TC off the "work" truck cause my husband had to go to heat treating (to deliver rolls for work) It was dusk and I couldn't see. Our SUV was running right next to us, cause something broke and the key no longer turned the engine off. (had to pull a fuse after I delivered it to our mechanic's parking lot) It was almost laughable if it was someone else's life. Oh and your right... when we started pulling our 30 foot TT (hubby drove), I brought a secret coffee cup full of crown and coke... LOL

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
I have a slight slope in my driveway and my front jacks like to lean a bit. It helps to keep the front an inch or so higher. I loaded it up last weekend for only the third time and I think I'm adjusting to the stress of the sway. Vic

Led_67
Explorer
Explorer
Not to condem your concern but as stated previously you will get familiar with the swaying of your camper just do not get so comfortable that it causes you to get careless. Go ahead have another beer for me next time lol.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
The swing-away hinges swing a lot compared to not using them when I had my SRW. Oh well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member