Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

think i finally found our tt, thoughts?

Deuce222
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2019/travel-trailer/transcend/floorplans
the 32bhs
I can't seem to find my truck specifications or able to attach an easy link. but I have a 2014 f150 v6 eco boost 3.5l which states I can pull 9200 full, I also have a bigger tow package, will be traveling with wife behind in expedition and kids in there.
36 REPLIES 36

Deuce222
Explorer
Explorer
Nope didn't go dark, just BUSY man...and wanted this to run a bit to get good insight. Answers to above noted questions:
1. Combined weight of occupants and cargo sticker says 1400lbs.
2. Yes on E rated tires next tire replacement.
3. Kids are 2 five year old twins and 1 thirteen year old.
other issues. Ya, I don't plan on loading anything at all I don't have to in tv or trailer. MAYBE I might have the dog in back of pickup in kennel. I don't plan on traveling with any water or anything I don't need while traveling. I realize it's close to limits. I DO appreciate all the input. They actual buying of trailer is a 6 months to year away yet.... ya I'm a serious planner, overthink things sometime. I think I get that from my 23 years military.... which I kinda could be a "towmeister" with that experience. I just want to make sure 1. the truck can handle it, 2. I don't miss nothing in the thinking process before buying. 3. and I'm "safe" overall making sure weight combo doesn't cause catastrophic failure of tires or equipment or something I havn't foreseen. I WAS going to get an apex but bathrooms are too darn small for my 6 ft. wife. If the toilets were just canted to one side it would of worked. The only other one which might be better is the similar lower weight bunkhouse Transcend for 7,200 lbs. Again, thanks for all the input and please keep it coming. I still have some time.

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is 6400 scaled for a trip and is 25 ft long. We towed with our 2014 EB 4500 miles including US 191 SB Flaming Gorge Canyon and beyond this September and it did well, but I was very conservative on the downgrades. I think 10 more feet and 2k lbs more would have been too much for the winds and grades on our route. Maybe if you are in the top 5% towmeisters out there but I'm not so I wouldn't do your trailer with my F150, and I'm in the top 50% ๐Ÿ˜‰

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Deuce222 seems to have gone dark.

I tow the below trailer with my Tundra Crewmax. It has the rear gear ratio option, so itโ€™s rated for 10,400 lbs munis 1,385 truck cargo rating. My trailer has a CVW of 8,400 lbs, but I never carry water or anything I donโ€™t need so Iโ€™m probably around 7,400. I would NEVER tow anything heavier with my truck and in fact I donโ€™t like towing this with my truck, but it does ok. I have the TRD sway bar, Belstein shocks and Firestone airbags.

Towing a trailer rated for 7,700K dry is way too much for any F150.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
You said you had the EB with 9,200 tow rating, that rating applies with that engine with a SuperCrew cab and 3.31 gearing and 4x4.

Looking at payload and the brochure is 1520 to 1900 lbs.

Here is the Link

Clicck
Explorer
Explorer
My camper has 28" wide bunks and they are fine for kids and adults.

Sleeping in a narrow bunk a few nights per year is not a huge deal, but then again people have become pretty soft over the years so I could see how it could be very traumatic for some.

Your truck should not have a problem towing that camper but if you are towing a lot or cross country you'll probably wish you had something larger.

My F150 with the 2.7 has 1640 payload and my camper tongue weight is around 650 so I can't even tell its back there.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
the e-man wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
How old and how big are your kids. The top bunk is only 28 inches wide. Before you purchase, I suggest you ... as the adult ... climb up on that bunk and lay down. Are you comfortable? Remember, if you have young children, they may fit the beds today, but will they fit the beds 3 or 4 years from now?

I agree with this. I had a Jayco 26BH and it was great. But, the single top bunk became too small once the kids hit middle school. I like the double over double bunk style. However, for those with an outside kitchen, I noticed that the bunk heights are smaller so that you canโ€™t sit up in bed. They are OK if the bunks are only for sleeping.

Around the time my kids outgrew the small bunks they decided they wanted to sleep in tents, so it didn't matter. Bunkhouse with an outdoor kitchen loses the extra storage compartment too.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
How old and how big are your kids. The top bunk is only 28 inches wide. Before you purchase, I suggest you ... as the adult ... climb up on that bunk and lay down. Are you comfortable? Remember, if you have young children, they may fit the beds today, but will they fit the beds 3 or 4 years from now?

I agree with this. I had a Jayco 26BH and it was great. But, the single top bunk became too small once the kids hit middle school. I like the double over double bunk style. However, for those with an outside kitchen, I noticed that the bunk heights are smaller so that you canโ€™t sit up in bed. They are OK if the bunks are only for sleeping.
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
tragusa3 wrote:

I've towed a loaded weight of about 6800 pounds around the country 4 times (30k miles) with a similar truck. It did a wonderful job! However, braking (and transmission braking) was a serious concern on long, steep downhills.

As much praise as I give it, I like my towing to feel effortless. I would go to a 3/4 ton with the trailer you are looking at.

Good info from someone that has experience with the OP's situation
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
What's the payload sticker on your truck door say? With just you in the truck and no other cargo in the truck you need a rating of about 1300 lbs. So what does the door sticker say?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
That TT will tip the scales at 8500+ when loaded for camping. That puts the tongue weight right around 1100 lb. Add the wife, kids, dog, firewood, bikes, and of course the weight of the WD hitch (100 lb) and you're over the payload of the truck.

The OP said in his post - "will be traveling with wife behind in expedition and kids in there." It all comes down to the truck's payload capacity, whether his particular truck may have Ford's maximum tow package, or not - either it's rated payload is sufficient to handle 13% to 15% of the trailer's gross weight loaded & ready to camp, or it's not. Simple.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy that TT plan on purchasing a new truck.

The 9200 lb tow rating might hold true for a farm wagon with zero tongue weight, or a boat with 7 or 8 percent tongue weight, but a TT has a tongue weight in the neighborhood of 13-15% of the total trailer weight, as well as huge wind resistance. And then there's the issue of the length. That is a LOT of trailer on a windy day with semis passing you.

A 1 ton SRW would pull it just fine and allow you to travel in one vehicle.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
2Rad4U wrote:
Way too heavy for that truck. Way to heavy

Yep, And too small of an engine.

Not only heavy, but very long, a lot of tail for a not to big of dog.

Here are the numbers for that trailer.

UVW* 7,738 lbs
Hitch Weight* 728 lbs
GVWR 9,295 lbs
Length** 36' 11"
Height 11'4"

On Edit: In an earlier post you were looking for a bigger TV an F250, I would strongly suggest you go for an F350 or other 3500 SRW and solve the issue of the family traveling in a separate vehicle.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
2Rad4U wrote:

I feel like you are baiting us that drink the Ecoboost cool-aid? No?

The engine will have no problem at all with the weight.

I've towed a loaded weight of about 6800 pounds around the country 4 times (30k miles) with a similar truck. It did a wonderful job! However, braking (and transmission braking) was a serious concern on long, steep downhills.

As much praise as I give it, I like my towing to feel effortless. I would go to a 3/4 ton with the trailer you are looking at.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
2Rad4U wrote:

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Eh, full timing towing 20K miles a year, no way, need more truck or less camper.

Taking two trips a year <1 hour from home, I think the 150 would do it.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK