cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

This is the kinda **** that wakes me up at night

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of night ago, something flashed through my head (scary place to be sometimes). How easy it would be to get trapped in the TC. Our Northstar, and probably many other brands, has the hand rail thingy that folds across the door when traveling. If someone just wanted to mess with us, all they would have to do is fold it in while we are asleep thereby preventing the door from opening. Not that I am paranoid, maybe it is more my mischievous side coming out. Granted, not a big deal to pop the escape hatch and come down the ladder.

That's it. Sometimes I just come here for therapy.

Thanks!
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon
34 REPLIES 34

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
I've been locked inside my camper. Before I modified the steps, the scissors steps hung on a bracket just below the door. Our first night camping in it, the motion of moving around in the camper caused the steps to work up a bit, just enough to interfere with the door. In the morning, locked in!

This Bigfoot has a Heki which is not rated for escape, so one of the side windows in the cabover swings open for fire escape. Now looking at it, that is going to be a very awkward exit, jamming yourself through a small hole 8 feet above the ground. I went out the Heki, across the frost covered roof and down the ladder, straightened out the steps, back inside. After breakfast - locked in again! Same drill.

I have since fixed the steps.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the grab handle were to block the door, couldn't one simply smash the window, reach out and push the grab handle aside?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Raften wrote:
Here's another situation to think about. Lock the door from the outside and see if someone inside can get out. It can happen with some locks.

Yes, good point . I think it did happen to someone in a tc.

I think it happened to someone when they were sleeping and the spouse went out and locked the door . I don't know if the deadbolt or the handle lock was used.

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Have thought about this problem occasionally. I have a little cable bike lock that would wrap around the assist handle and the ladder. Problem/worry solved. But, I never think to take the lock with when I go camping. So far, no mischievous campers around.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another situation to think about. Lock the door from the outside and see if someone inside can get out. It can happen with some locks.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
WVbassmistress wrote:
A couple of night ago, something flashed through my head (scary place to be sometimes). How easy it would be to get trapped in the TC. Our Northstar, and probably many other brands, has the hand rail thingy that folds across the door when traveling. If someone just wanted to mess with us, all they would have to do is fold it in while we are asleep thereby preventing the door from opening. Not that I am paranoid, maybe it is more my mischievous side coming out. Granted, not a big deal to pop the escape hatch and come down the ladder.

That's it. Sometimes I just come here for therapy.

Thanks!

That's fairly easy to push open imo..however,,
How would you get out if a big tree fell due to strong wind for example and blocked your door?
One should always plan for the worst and have an escape route for any emergency

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
YES it can 'lock' you in.

Depends on the slope of bracket that handle drops into when swing to stow position.

This has been discussed several times on here over the years.

Mine DID stop me from opening door.

Cut pointed end of bracket off right at top of slope top/bottom brackets.
Handle swings up/out with door pressure but stays stowed for travel.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
AHA! The gbopp knows everything! (Except how to spell/type "snakes".) :B

And I wasn't taking you/your post seriously, WVb. That "breathe" comment was also in jest.

I was typing on a Kindle, which I don't like. I try to make sure I spell correctly.
You got me on this one. But, smakes got the point across. :W

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the same problem , was having recurring nightmares about that grab handle .
I installed one of these 12v. spring loaded boxing gloves with a motion detector next to my door. When the unwanted person gets too close to my grab handle the motion sensor activates the glove.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
While you are about it, check if you can even get the emergency window open let alone get out without breaking your neck.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I fixed my hand rail so it won't fold any more. It's not in the way and no way will I get trapped;

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
WVbassmistress wrote:
RWDIII,
Thanks for the kind words. I am rarely serious and I can see that is hard to convey in print. (Kinda like this topic)

And yes, we had a Bronco 800. I really enjoyed it and it was a great intro into truck camping. My grandkids are getting to an age (8 - 5) where we wanted to take them with us and needed more bed space. This Northstar will sleep 5 as long as 3 are kids. We sold the Bronco easily due to the lack of truck campers in this area. The buyers actually came from Ohio. Our Bronco didn't have the hand rail on it so it wasn't a factor (notice I didn't say "concern" cause I am not really concerned - just wondering)

Not to high-jack my own thread, we have taken the grandkids twice and each time is a learning experience. 2 weekends ago, we took them to a lake about 1.5 hours away. The first trip was so wonderful we added the pontoon and the dog into the mix...might have gone a step too far!! Had a great day boating except it was exhausting keeping up with 3 boys, a spoiled dog and an only child husband. One of the boys started throwing up around dinner time and his dad came to get him at 10:30pm. Also took his younger brother, leaving one kid that was very unhappy to wake up to no cousins to play with. Didn't want to go boating, didn't want to swim, didn't want to play on the jump pillow at the campground. The dog was battling an ear infection and her drops were in a drawer that we have been having trouble getting open (project #5 for my husband). This campground didn't have a ramp, so Junior Grumpy had do deal with a boat ride to get the boat and the trailer in the same place. Nana worked her magic and by the time we hooked up with my husband, the kid was in his swimming trucks, water gun loaded and ready to play. (the dog still jumped in the truck anytime the doors were open wanting to go home) We boated and played for a few hours, had a quicky lunch (he had a peanut butter sandwich with the Goldfish crackers ON it) Loaded him up with a hot fudge sundae on the way home and handed him back to his parents sugared up and dinner spoiled!

Needless to say, I was looking forward to grown ups camping weekend this weekend. But the other half of this grown up couple came down with shingles and is MISERABLE!!!!!!!! *this might be a time for my first solo trip in the Northstar*

PapaNI - that is pretty scary. Maybe this IS something to think about and plan around. My dad used to say that campers were the best people on Earth. I still believe that, problem is...some of these people out there aren't true campers.

Best of luck to you guys,just was blessed with our 4th grandkid
even if he is a Navy brat,my kids were Marine corps brats
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
AHA! The gbopp knows everything! (Except how to spell/type "snakes".) :B

And I wasn't taking you/your post seriously, WVb. That "breathe" comment was also in jest.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Are you concerned that someone will lock you inside and then, put smakes through the window?
You're watching too many horror movies. ๐Ÿ™‚

OH YOU DIDN'T JUST TYPE THAT!!!!!!!!!! How did you know snakes are my hot button!!:E
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon