cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Timbrens or Firestone ride rite bags and camper cover?

3KP
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a slide in camper 2001 Northstar 10.5 XL I own a 91 F350 4x4 crew cab. I noticed when I went over some bumps I got a little hopping/bouncing in the rear. Truck is slightly nose high but not to bad. I was told to put different shocks to take the bounce out. But was also told to put bags on it to take the bounce out. So I started to look into bags and found the Timbrens.

Also want to purchase a camper cover but not sure on the size I need? Camper is 10 1/2 ft bottom and 17 ft across the top.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Michael
25 REPLIES 25

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
I had Timbrens and they rode like rocks. Especially bad on concrete roads.
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC

3KP
Explorer
Explorer

Here is a picture I finally figure out how to post a picture on here.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
New shocks and air bags should be all you need.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
I went with a Goldline cover and I am Very happy with it. Comes with plenty of straps to keep extra fabric nice and taught depending on your liking. Three Big zippered panels to access all outside compartments and easy entry. I take it on and off probaly 6-8 times a year, and with a helper it's not bad at all. Easy to remove sno-build up also. It's a tad pricey though. .

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
3KP wrote:
Thank you for all the replies Very good information.

When you purchase a cover I notice it mentions 10-12 Ft cover are they referring to the bottom of the camper? Is there any brands to stay away from?

Yes, that is the bottom measurement. I went with a fairly inexpensive ADCO cover from Camping World for my camper. I'm on the 3rd Alaskan winter and it still looks good (not much sunlight or wind). I folded up the excess length fabric by the cabover and run a ratchet strap around it to keep it snug.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would double check the measurements. The last cover we bought wasn't wide enough and the DW had to add a panel after it tore a bit trying to get it on.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

3KP
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the replies Very good information.

When you purchase a cover I notice it mentions 10-12 Ft cover are they referring to the bottom of the camper? Is there any brands to stay away from?

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Add me to the list also that have Timbrens and like them a lot.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I am one that does not favor Timbrens. I do not have a slide in camper but when traveling with my fiver the Timbrens bounced back hard on a big bump. I removed them after one year and copied a home made set of stable loads from someone else on this site. I still have full use of my suspension and utilize my overloads and I got a better ride without worrying about adding air or other air related problems. Just my 2 cents.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

lonegunman
Explorer
Explorer
I went with Firestone air bags and Rancho 9000XL's and have not had any problems, but I don't have 12,000 miles on them yet. My camper is slightly heavier on the right side so airbags make a ton of difference.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
gpascazio wrote:
I would not recommend Timbrens. Had a set on my 2008 F350 and they did not work worst ride ever. So I guess the firestones are the way to go given your choices. However, I would look into updating or replacing the springs. When I took the truck to a spring shop they suggested adding two leafs on each side, after putting the springs in the truck rides great to me this was the best upgrade that I have made to the TC.

I have Timbrens and I thing they're great. They ride about 1 inch away from the axle tube when not loaded and only come in to play when loaded. I have an 05 F350 pulling a 38 ft 5th wheel.

+1000

Tembrens and Rancho 9000 shocks

Airbags not if but when will they FAIL
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shocks for sure, either 4600 Bilsteins or KYB Monomax.

Load up the camper, park on level ground, then walk about 50 feet behind and look for side lean.

If the camper leans to one side, you have a side-to-side balance problem. Get air bags. If the camper sits reasonably level, get Timbrens.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
Stable Loads and Timbrens have worked great for me.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

AidenJ
Explorer
Explorer
I had timbrens on my 3 previous trucks. they worked very well with a nice loaded ride.
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC, CTD, SRW
2010 NORTHERN-LITE 10-2 SPECIAL EDITION)
Libby, 2 yr Boxer/Hound mix learning to travel