cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time for a new Truck

Browzin
Explorer
Explorer
Ok the Motor Home is sold... Time to go back to towing a bumper pull trailer...
I haven't keep track of who has what engine / transmission combo's in the last few years.
Need to buy a NEW truck, prefer either a 2016 or a 2017 when they come out in a few months.
At this point in time I am interested in Gas or Diesel, Ford or Chey, 3/4 ton, (Trailer will be under 7500 lbs unloaded, which as all RVers know, means your pushing 9,000 plus when towing.)
Who has the most reliable engine transmission combination??? Not concerned about other features, this will be a tow only vehicle.
Thanks in advance
25 REPLIES 25

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flashman wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Powerstroke/TorqueShift both medium duty and comes in all Super Duty configurations.... I have 91k miles on my 6.7 and not a single issue to date. Also I plan to keep my truck for the long haul and I have no concerns as well.

I agree with testing all brands and when looking at the window sticker look hard at what country that truck was assembled at. You might be surprised.

Good luck...

When did the rating go to medium duty? They didn't used to be MD.

Since Ford got tired of me noting the only Diesel that was available in the F650/750 was a Cummins 6.7 same as our RAM trucks they have decided to use their MADE IN MEXICO 6.7 PS instead. That is how they can claim their Diesel is MD. Question, what other applications are the 6.7PS used in that are MD? The cummins 6.7 is used in MANY MD applications.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Powerstroke/TorqueShift both medium duty and comes in all Super Duty configurations.... I have 91k miles on my 6.7 and not a single issue to date. Also I plan to keep my truck for the long haul and I have no concerns as well.

I agree with testing all brands and when looking at the window sticker look hard at what country that truck was assembled at. You might be surprised.

Good luck...

They offer the 6.7 up to the Ford 750, so that would certainly qualify as medium duty.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:

Good luck...

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:

You just cannot help yourself, can you?
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Drive all six! 2 times all three, one gas and one diesel and then YOU get to decide, not us!!!! Chris

Exactly my thoughts. They all make very good products right now and you can't go wrong no matter what you chose.

GM and Ford diesels had some concerns initially with the Bosch fuel injectors, but it sounds like they have been redesigned and are much better. Ram uses an older style fuel injector that is less prone to catastrophic failure. Any of them in the 2016 to 2017 model should work wonderfully for you.

Any of the gas engines are great. My friend has the Ram 6.4 and loves it pulling about 8500 lbs. My father-in-law has a Chevy 6.0 and loves it pulling about 8500 lbs. The Ford 6.2 is a tried and true engine and I've heard that Ford will offer a 6.8 in 2017 or 2018. Unless you are towing in the mountains often, any of those gas engines should pull your relatively small trailer with ease.

Whatever is most comfortable for you, reasonable for your budget and satisfactory to your eyes is the best choice. For me, that was the Ram.

Just FYI, the issue with ford and Chevy diesels is the fuel pump, the CP4. The Cummins uses the CP3 which if it were to fail(extremely rare), doesn't ruin the whole fuel system as the CP4 can.

The performance of any of the modern diesels is phenomenal, so I picked the one that was the most reliable and the easiest to work on, the Cummins Ram. They are all absolutely awesome towing machines, but that was a big part of my decision.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III

Good luck...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
Drive all six! 2 times all three, one gas and one diesel and then YOU get to decide, not us!!!! Chris

Exactly my thoughts. They all make very good products right now and you can't go wrong no matter what you chose.

GM and Ford diesels had some concerns initially with the Bosch fuel injectors, but it sounds like they have been redesigned and are much better. Ram uses an older style fuel injector that is less prone to catastrophic failure. Any of them in the 2016 to 2017 model should work wonderfully for you.

Any of the gas engines are great. My friend has the Ram 6.4 and loves it pulling about 8500 lbs. My father-in-law has a Chevy 6.0 and loves it pulling about 8500 lbs. The Ford 6.2 is a tried and true engine and I've heard that Ford will offer a 6.8 in 2017 or 2018. Unless you are towing in the mountains often, any of those gas engines should pull your relatively small trailer with ease.

Whatever is most comfortable for you, reasonable for your budget and satisfactory to your eyes is the best choice. For me, that was the Ram.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
I would go and look at all the trucks from each manufacturer. This way you can drive and determine which one you prefer. Each one does drive a little differently, have different seats, and options that you may like. Good luck on your endeavor. It is fun looking at new trucks. I know,,, I have a 2016 and love it.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
You definitely need a DRW.

Instigator

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Do some research on the CP4 pump if you want a diesel Powerstroke or Duramax. If you keep your vehicles a decent amount of time it could be an issue, for you to decide how important. If you trade frequently it likely won't be an issue. The Cummins doesn't use that injection pump.

As far as gas versus diesel goes, if you can afford more up front, the overall cost is pretty close to a wash. So my advice is make that call based on factors other than cost - it's more about personal preference and performance.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I would buy a gas truck, unless I could afford to own a modern diesel out of warranty, which I can't. Best of luck.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins/Aisin both true medium duty.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
"Pick my brand", "get a dually".... blah, blah, blah.... It's all jibberish mixed with some nonsense.

As a few have said they are all good trucks and YOU need to decide what YOU want. Go test drive all of them, price out the options that YOU want in YOUR price range and then go from there. There really is no right or wrong answer on this one. Good luck and enjoy the shopping.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Let your wife pick and you'll both be happy!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)