cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire chains needed?

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
My 16 Ram has new Open Range tires coupled with 4wd. The NL is not the heaviest, but fully loaded I'm around 12k. If I head over certain passes in the right months I am required to carry chains (over 10k in CA as I recall). I dont think I really need them and would be unlikely to push it if the weather was actually bad. That said, I need to carry something to be legal. Any recommendations on something that would be small storage but effective when installed? Ideally something quicker to install would be better since I dont expect to use them regularly enough to get practice. It hasn't snowed in NW WA yet so prices haven't spiked. Would like to get before they do or find a sale if there is such a thing.

EDIT: tires are 295/70R18 if it matters
72 REPLIES 72

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, because I've never had to deal with this before - do you typically have to have a set of chains for each tire on a DRW? Do you need them for front axle too? Do you need them for any trailer axles?

My idea is that if I ever run into a situation where I need chains, I'll turn around or sit it out, but I'd like to carry the minimum for legal compliance if ever needed.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used chains on my 7tons motorhome outer wheels on 1 trip and when the Caltrans makes you put the chains on 3 miles before you see snow on the pavement, under heavy load the chains wear out on 12 miles drive.
I had extra links, so at destination I replaced broken links and flip the chains on other side.
Still Caltrans made the same situation on return trip and that was the end of chains.
When cables provide less snow grip, they have rollers, who last for long time and you can drive on them even 40 mph.
So would I go for fresh snow, I'd carry them both.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tire chains have always been part of my GVWR because chit happens and there are other uses for them..I carry heavy duty V-bars..I am considering getting a pair of Maxtrax(clones) because it seems I am always getting the call to help get someone out..Besides,they look Kool on the TC ladder rack..LOL
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
If you’re simply worried about meeting the “requirement” then a $25 pair of cables for a small car off Craigslist would stow away nicely.
I drive the WA passes regularly and not only is it rare for the roads to remain actually open if it’s “all vehicles required”, no one is going to hassle you in a srw truck.
I sometimes pull a 32’ trailer in the worst weather here cause that’s when the Snomobiling is best and never stop to chain not do pickups get a second look by the state police.
I only carry chains for deep snow with the trailer hooked up on forest roads.
Can’t speak for other states
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

specta
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I recommend the diamond style. Cables are good too just to carry something lightweight.

https://www.tirechain.com/Truck-Tire-Chains.HTM

Thanks for the link. I just ordered a set for my truck.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I've never worried about them in the past with a 4wd. I did carry and use in college, but I was driving a 2wd Volvo which really needed help in snow/ice.my other truck loves the NW snow and has never needed any chains. That said, I don't think I've ever traveled the pass with my small truck with chains required though the conditions justified it.

With the Ram I am primarily worried about compliance. I don't plan on driving with snow sufficient to require chains with the camper and I won't be in CA without the camper.

Sounds like I should either get cables or get the diamond chains and do it in the next couple of weeks.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Entire US coast has chain laws to carry and use when specified.
Otherwise you can be cited and/or turned back.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe that Oregon and Washington have similar chain laws. Basically during winter in "Snow Zones" you are required to carry tire chains/traction devices.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drove 4x4 under 10,000 lb and was turn back when passing Truckee grade on I-80.
Caltrans employees don't need to have education to get the job, yet they have authority and you are not in position to negotiate with lane of vehicles waiting behind you. Doubt it is different in WA.
For such situation cables are the best solution. Light, not expensive when you buy them in advance, but very expensive mid-storm in Truckee.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve driven 4X4’s up here in Canada ( BC mountains) for YEARS and have never ever had to use chains on the Hwy. And where I live you can’t get out of the valley with out going over Mountain pass.
If the law requires you to have them, that’s one thing......do you need them, I highly doubt it.
I also have a NL camper and drove out of here two winters ago on my way to AZ in a snow storm, I used 4 wheel drive but never needed or came close to need Chains.
Just get something that will fill the law requirement, you will most likely never use them on the Hwy.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I see you are in WA. You must carry tire chains with your 4x4. You do not have to put them on unless signs say "All vehicles must use chains". You state that you are over 10,000 pounds. This puts a slightly different light on subject.
Most other times you can travel in four wheel drive.
From WSDOT website. WSDOT winter driving
4WD/AWD and chains
4WD/AWD vehicles (under 10,000 pounds) do not need chains installed during "chains required" notices, but drivers still must carry chains with them in case conditions worsen and they're required to install chains during a "chains required on all vehicles" notice.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I recommend the diamond style. Cables are good too just to carry something lightweight.

https://www.tirechain.com/Truck-Tire-Chains.HTM

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Red's not a 4x4 but I run A/T's on the rears with a locker. I carry cable chains for just such situations. That being said with 7K on the rear tires and the locker...I've NEVER lost traction in the snow and haven't EVER needed chains except when empty.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP